Track fade out (Pause, Stop, Skip Track, Sleep, ...) and fade in when restarting

I’m at limit too but I’d definitely vote for this

Picture the scene…

You’re listening to music at a decent volume (over 70db for example) and for some reason you need to pause the song for a quick moment. When returning and pressing ‘play’ again… you are hit with a sudden wall of sound that is very uncomfortable to the ears (as they need to adjust to the volume again).

Gradual Fade-In Volume
My suggestion is to have a volume setting which you can toggle on or off, that will gradually increase the volume of a song (over 1-2 seconds) when pressing play again…This will help your ears to quickly adjust to the volume and will be a much more comfortable/enjoyable experience.

Mute Button
Another nice feature is to have a ‘mute’ button similar to the Yamaha Integrated Amplifier series (‘AS’ series). When pressing the mute button on the Yamaha amps, instead of going completely quiet, it reduces the volume by around 20db. this is a great feature if you need to quickly talk to someone but don’t want to stop the music completely. Obviously, if you need complete silence then you have the pause button for that.

Hope the above makes sense and hopefully others will agree on these features (especially with the first suggestion).

Many thanks

2 Likes

Did you see that age old and rather similar feature suggestion?
:prayer_beads:
You may want to add your vote to that, so that we’re outnumbering Roon’s decision makers to finally yield to our prayers…
:palms_up_together:

3 Likes

I’ve merged the topics.

This really needs implementing.
Popping on track stop, skip etc is really not good enough.

I just tried LMS, track skip/pause fade is provided.

Hi Brian, I have been posting about popping on track skips and pause, etc for some time, with no support, or comment from Roon support, which has been disappointing and frustrating.

I have even directly contacted multiple Roon team members - with no response.

I believe a fade in and out function on pause/stop/skip would address this issue.

For me, and other users running active speaker setups using Roon’s convolution/procedural engine this sudden pop on stop, pause, skip (which is random, & song dependant) is a problem, especially if you are running volume control in Roon’s DSP engine, with amps at synergy.

I have been looking @ LMS/CamilaDSP, which does provide fade/in/out but a user experience which is pretty average.

I have sent multiple emails on this topic, hoping to have some sort of resolution.

We fully understand that you really want this feature, and will take your feedback into account in our future planning.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the response.
I still wonder why no one responded to my support thread?

vote for this as well

It would be nice to have a soft start and stop of music volume when changing tracks manually.
This is supported in the Rose app for my RS 150B.

1 Like

You may want to add your vote to the respective feature suggestion thread here.

Hi @Karl_Lucas,
I’ve merged your post into this existing #feedback:feature-suggestions topic.

Please consider voting for this feature.
IMHO, this is a much need feature addition, which has the potential to address:

1. Audible pops on track transitions (Executing transitions @ zero crosspoint)
    Particularly relating to play, stop, track skip and volume ramping. Overview here:
    a. Clicks/pops when skipping or pausing songs - #15 by john
    b. This issue is particularly noticeable on electronic or bass heavy music. My experience here: Latest Roon build | Random small popping sounds moving DSP volume, and when selecting play & pause functions - #47 by grizaudio

Reviewing the first link above, it appears a ticket was raised in 2019.
My assumption is this feature/issue is yet to be addressed due to significant work which would need to occur both by Roon and Roon endpoint partners.

1. Introduce user selectable volume fade in/out | up/down for playback transitions
  2. Address DSP volume ramping noises for systems relying on Roon digital attenuation.

Please vote. Thanks

1 Like

I think that entry describes the issue quite right.

+1 to this feature request but only if it does not affect the signal processing.

I see the problem in interfacing with the endpoints and the maintenance and reliability issues it may entail. From this standpoint it does not seem worth it. Still… it seems like a nice challenge !

I’d like to see a feature which has tracks fade in and out when paused, then restarted, there may be those who don’t like or want to use it,so an one-off tab of this feature would make it an option.

Vote where it counts, and ideally please search for existing requests before opening new ones, else it only serves to dilute votes for your favorite features. Searching for “fade in out” brings this up as the second search hit:

Any news on this ? This feature has been requested since 2017 - I don’t think is there, unless I missed the feature flag to enable it…

Unfortunately, nothing new under the sun regarding this very basic functionality…

Ah well - I have come back every so often, to check about this (and get embroiled in discussions/tiffs as I forget the nature of the forum and cannot help getting involved and commenting on some of the most sticky subjects - [moderated]).

Come on people! You portray Roon as a SOTA product - give us that please. Does Volumio support it? if so, you should!

See you in about a year, unless something breaks…

+1
this would make listening via Roon easier to the ears, and that’s what we are all here for, isn’t it? Pleasure for our ears!

1 Like