Tracks without ability to maintain composition

Hi @Ralf_Karpa.

Sorry for the delay responding to you here – this was with me, and I can assure you we have not forgotten this topic. Your issue remains open in our internal tracker, and it’s in a queue to be looked at. But please note that investigating and resolving this type of issue requires a lot of resources from our team – from Support, from our Product team, from our developers, and from QA. All of those groups are currently working hard on our next release, which is not focused on this area, so it hasn’t been possible for me to respond yet.

What you probably regard as a straightforward bug or product deficiency – which I understand is frustrating – is actually something which requires a lot of thought and design to resolve in a way which will not restrict what we can do with the product in the future. The way our automated metadata interacts with edits is complex, and it’s an area we’ve actively been discussing – our real (and preferred) goal is to improve our automated metadata to the point where edits generally aren’t needed. For the majority of Roon customers, spending our team’s time improving automated metadata is going to deliver significantly more value than spending the same time building and testing new editing features that will be used by a tiny minority of users. These approaches aren’t mutually exclusive, but the point is that we’re far more interested in getting the metadata complete and correct in the first place so that edits aren’t needed.

If and when we have some news to report, it will be posted publicly at that time. But I can’t guarantee exactly when that’s going to happen – at the very earliest, this investigation will start a week or two after our next release ships, when things start to settle down. And that’s when the investigation begins – if this issue ends up requiring new features or large-scale changes to the architecture of the product, it could be a while before we make a decision on how to move forward. And unfortunately, problems like this often do not have quick incremental “bug fix” style solutions.

Anyway, once we are actively looking over this we will let you know if we need more information. I know these kinds of vague “sometime in the future” responses aren’t what you’re looking for, but this is the nature of software development – every day, we make difficult decisions about what everyone is going to work on, and what gets pushed to next week, next month, or next year.

We’ll be as transparent as we can be as these issues get to the front of the queue and decisions are made. For the moment, I can assure you that this issue is not being ignored, but please note also that “pinging” this thread isn’t going to speed things up.

And as always, we appreciate the feedback here.

4 Likes