Trying to get a friend with 10K CDs into Roon

Yes this is the right attitude. I did the same thing when I ripped all my CD years and years ago.

For me with my collection I have numerous albums that Tidal or even Spotify don’t have. They have huge holes in their collections for certain artists and many that they don’t have at all. My buddy likes mostly far out and obscure hard to find jazz music and has a very personal collection so it would never just work to say forget about your collection and switch to Tidal. I would never be able to do that. Yes most of the time I can find it on Tidal but when you can’t then it’s going to drive you crazy. I have a few albums that magically dissappeared from my hard drive and I can’t find them anywhere and I mean not even to buy. It’s like that music is gone forever.

1 Like

That’s happened to me twice … albums seemingly just disappearing. Fortunately, I use Crashplan for backups and was able to not only find the albums but also identify when they were deleted. Unfortunately, that didn’t answer why. In one case, I found the deleted folder that held the album in another music folder, so I guess I must have inadvertently dragged it there. The other remains a mystery although I suspect I fumble-fingered it somehow that caused the delete without me being aware.

Of course, that doesn’t help with albums I don’t even know I lost. I retain backups of deleted files for a year - perhaps I should extend that to something much longer.

Firstly, regardless of what you do, you should ALWAYS back up your collection to multiple copies staggered in time. I have a pile of bare drives I stick into a drive toaster and use chronosync to synchronize.

More importantly: How could you have an album disappear? That is very strange unless you deleted inadvertedly.

I do like Roon’s policy of never ever touching your files, I think this is very valuable.

1 Like

Agreed! And all the move reason to move Roon to a dedicated server - NUC, Nucleus, whatever. I run RoonServer on a desktop PC that gets used for a number of other things. A NUC is in my future.

1 Like

Hey there @miguelito

I believe that’s a duplicator for making exact copies of a disk. Not a ripper where you can rip CD’s, DVD’s and Blurays to various formats. How would that remove copy protection? I don’t think it will.

Yes, that is the right attitude. Just chill out and enjoy the music. After ripping for years I have around 3,500 ripped with multiple back ups, and probably 2,500 to go in boxes. I’m still buying cds - you can get great stuff for a couple of dollars (many out of print and not available on streaming services). It’s great to have fast, easy access to all those cds you’ve been collecting since the 1980s, not to mention all the meta data and hyperlinks to enhance the experience. (And don’t neglect making digital copies of your vinyl collection for easy access and casual listening). Of course, I stream to discover new music and fill in some of the gaps in my library. (Qobuz is by far the best sound quality, but has a somewhat limited library). The Qobuz Hi Res library is also excellent, but I would never depend on any streaming service for all of my music interests.

2 Likes

I think you’re right, I assumed if it could do that it could certainly rip CDs (which it might be able to do though I did quickly peruse the manual and it is unclear).

There are ways around copy protection - consider Handbrake for example.

Well said , Backup Backup then backup again !! HDD do fail however occasionally

1 Like

storage of the CD’s is also a backup…but even CD’s will rot over time…maybe just keep your most treasured ones.

What sort of time frame before this becomes a problem though ? Before or after we get hit by the Andromeda galaxy ?

3 Likes

+1 for Nimbie, I bought one for ripping my DVD and CD collection a “few” years ago, and have sine used it to rip several friends CD collections as well. It was quite expensive when I bought it, but the time saved…

1 Like

Not if but when. Which is why I also like the method of using bare drives, as they are not powered most of the time so will likely last longer - that is, as opposed to drives that are used as duplicates but powered continuously.

Apparently extremely variable… as little as 10-20 years or as long as several hundred. The one you can’t replace will be the one that fails after ten…

1 Like

Exactly. I backup to an external thunderbolt (or esata) drive dock. I treat the hard drives like backup tapes. And rotate a new one every week and then have a separate monthly set. So, rotating set of 5 for the weeklies and then a set of 12 for the monthlies.

Then storaged away in anti-static bags and hard plastic clam shells. Labeled and signed with date of last backup.

One little trick: I use an empty text file whose name I set with the date of the backup:

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 10.33.02 AM

Back ups need to be remote in case, god forbid you have a fire at home.

I have a remote NAS that my main NAS backs up to daily. If I have a problem I can restore. If I have a fire in one location I have the back up.

Obviously if I had multiple disk failure of the two RAID arrays I’d lose data, but how unlucky would that be?

Another great option is to backup up offsite at a service like backblaze. My synology nas (and I would guess Qnap does too) has an app (cloudsync) that can automate the syncing selected directories in your in-house nas with backblaze (and about 20 other services). Highly recommended.

1 Like

“…wrong”? Freudian slip? :smile:

With a lot of data, you obviously need backup.
A NAS is good for that.
You also need off-site backup, such as cloud. The NAS does not protect against theft, fire, water, power surge, etc.

That said, I discourage have the Roon core play with data on the NAS, let alone running Roon on the NAS. Just more point of failure. Play from an internal or USB drive, they cost peanuts.

Running Roon in a NAS? My blunt assessment: the NAS manufacturers may or may not be good at data storage, but they are definitely not good at making a general purpose server. Enterprise data centers are populated with Linux, Unix or Windows servers, not Synology or Qnap.

1 Like

I agree, but it’s another subscription. It’s almost better to just stream and let someone else worry.