Trying to get a friend with 10K CDs into Roon

Wouldn’t feel that way if I had 10k cds… I have 4K and all of it ripped lossless and organized. Boatloads of stuff that isn’t in tidal and qobuz. So depends on your perspective.

1 Like

I just quit BackBlaze.

As it turned out, in spite of what the desktop app was saying, BackBlaze wasn’t backing up all the files it should.

Weird. I’ve had no issue with them. But I’m using CloudSync on my Synology NAS. Did you talk to their support about this issue?

Yup, they told me to apply a beta version.

Even if it did fix the problem, it was too late as far as I’m concerned.
I want my backup solution to be airtight, always.

When I cancelled my account they only rebated from the day I canceled, instead of from the time the problem began to occur.

When I commented that they hadn’t been doing correct backups for some time, they told me most of their fee was for storage.

I’m using Crashplan for Small Business ($10/month/computer) and like it. I may switch to iDrive… It’s a bit cheaper but, it does place a cap on storage whereas Crashplan is unlimited. On the other hand, iDrive does allow you to backup more than one computer.

Anyone using iDrive and NOT like it?

The use case for storage, and for DSP (CPU/GPU) are very different, this does not change between the consumer, prosumer, and enterprise levels. Yes there will be outliers such as HCI, but HCI is far away from home audio. I am very happy have different compute and storage devies.

Keeping disks offline (powered off) can seem like a good way of extending life, but for spinning rust, the highest load on the disk is when it spins up, so a disk that is powered up once a week, might last for less time than a disk that is on continuously. While SSD do not have the “spin up” problem, I have seen many more drive controller failiures on SSD than HDD, and so I would always suggest replication (ideally offsite with snapshots) as well as backup.

Everything sounds fragile. I’m gonna chisel the bits into a handy rockface.

5 Likes

I’m used to managing multi TB of storage with 6 9s of availabilty…

I get your point but I don’t think you’re correct in terms if probability of failure… Each one of my backups gets refreshed ~ 3 weeks at a time. A constantly spinning disk is subject to all sorts of possible issues. Pretty sure I am safer this way than having all these disks permanently mounted.

Understood. I do not need realtime failure prevention.

FWIW, I keep both backups in my summer home (2 hrs away from the city), although those I don’t back up as often. I should consider cloud backup, but I have a lot of stuff. Also, I keep all my backup disks in a fire box.

1 Like

Reminds me, when operating a cloud service where availability is a contractual QoS issue, but cost matters too, we thought about resilience to different scopes of loss:

• Loss of a drive
  • Loss of a server
  • Loss of a rack (e.g. due to power or network failure)
  • Loss of a section of a data center
  • Loss of a building (e.g. fire)
  • Loss of a campus (terrorism)
  • Loss of a city or state or region (earthquake, hurricane)

Protecting against earthquake involves replication cross-continent, which causes latency due to this pesky speed-of-light problem, working on that.

But two hours away, @miguelito is pretty safe.

EDIT Although now we are pretty far away from the OP question.

Real back-up is important. This week my NAS HDD had an error then copied that RAID error to the other disk. All data lost on both drives.

I have 2# USB HDD as back-ups. so all is recovered now. The USB HDD + NUC + NAS + dbpoweramp copies on a PC HDD keep things safe. As well as one of those HDD in a fire proof box at a friends house. Cloud storage still to expensive p.a. for me.

May seem overkill but this week l was glad of that as it made for a no sweat recovery.

As for ripping, Yup 5# a day over time got 1,500 FLAC rips years ago. For travel I use a DAP where I use converted files to MP3 (more files, longer battery Time, 320 is fine).

Agree, just rip new / cheap CDs as and when.

If I am honest I probably only use 500 CDs that I regularly listen too and that 500 drifts in its edges.

The consensus here seems to be “Don’t rip” which is ironic when the reason Enno Vandermeer co-invented Roon was for ripping and managing his large CD collection!

(Here’s Enno talking at my local HiFi store: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqra5vy2yJA)

1 Like

I see a conscencus for (start) ripping (only) the CD’s that:
a) are not available not availble on stream services
b) Cd’s made of specific masters
c) Cd’s you care so much about, that you defintely do want a backup
d) as much as you care to rip

And really, if you look at the latest developments in Roon, they are al about using streaming services to play new music.
Now, with 10000 CD’s, I personally believe there is a lot of new music in there (and even more ‘old’ new music).
Just as an example: I have 3700 albums in My Library ( 2194 ripped or digital download ) of which I played 875 during the last year.
Just checked how many Qobuz albums added to My Library habe not been played yet.
I am honestly too ashamed to show the numbers here. Some catching/cleaning up to do!
Dirk

1 Like

Yep, me too.

1 Like

Use an Acronova Nimbie with dbpoweramp to rip in bulk. I paid about $500 for a used Nimbie. Ripped right at 2000 cds in just over 3 weeks, 100 at a time.

Best investment for someone with a large collection.

1 Like

For somebody in Europe, I have a Nimbie for sale.
If interested, please send PM

Dirk

You can also rent a nimbie for $100 for 30 days in the US.

1 Like