TuBe or not TuBe (I had to)

Absolutely tubes have their place and use, just not anywhere near my audio systems :rofl:

2 Likes

Had both - loved both.

2 Likes

I own only solid state, but my tube and turntable systems are sorely missed. Tube system require a dedication that I do not have today. We have talked about having a separate tube system to play vinyl. I do not have the physical space for a turntable in my current setup,.

1 Like

Musical fidelity did a tube buffer to fit between source and amp. Never heard one myself but they were quite popular at one time.

Yes the X-10D. I have one awaiting repair:

2 Likes

IFi make one currently, I used to have one between my cassette deck and amp.
Worked fairly well for what it was.
However I moved onto a SS version.

2 Likes

Tubes are fine as long as they are in someone else’s system so owned by someone who understands them. I will stick to solid-state.
Also no way my wife would put up with the warm up time etc.

2 Likes

I bet most of you system is solid state.

1 Like

Let’s not forget Hybrid, which is what I use. Best of both worlds:

2 Likes

Which could also be seen as the worst of both worlds. e.g. the unreliability tubes plus the harsh sound of solid state. Not what I would say but it’s a big world with lots of opinions.

1 Like

Which is why I like to make my own mind up rather than pose the question here as it’s so polarised.

1 Like

Apologies.

It all started off as a joke but since audiophiles have no sense of humor this is the result.

I Started A Joke

1 Like

No need to apologise. I meant about buying something, I go listen rather than pose the question ‘what is best for me….’

2 Likes

Please see my last comment. It wasn’t specific to this thread just the polarised opinions. I was enjoying the thread.

2 Likes

Absolutely none needed!

It has the potential for a great discussion if we can keep the killjoy ratio down😎 and the intelligent post count up.

So far I’d say it’s going well.

2 Likes

I’ll sit on the naughty step.

2 Likes

Of note. The (I had to) was literally because it won’t post the topic with just my headline. Filters complain about repeated words.

2 Likes

I thought it was in reference to the Shakespeare quote. Why else would you spell ‘valve’ as ‘tube’? (Joke)

1 Like

I’m still working on boot and lift.
Small steps.

2 Likes