Turn it off, leave it, turn it on again

Ok I’ll admit this is weird, but I’ve always thought this about Roon and just now I encountered it again, so here it is… I can be listening and over a period of time, usually an hour or so, I start to notice the sound getting quite harsh, edgy and nasty. It’s subtle at first but eventually I’m faced with admitting things have gone awry.

I then switch off the power to my hifi completely, Allo DigiOne, DAC, amp the lot. I then power off the NUC 5i that’s runs Roon rock and go make a cup of tea. When i come back I boot up the NUC, and switch on the power to all other components - after a minute or two the endpoint arrives back in the IPad and i press play on what i was listening before that sounded edgy and surprisingly it now sounds a great deal better… am I going nuts!? Or could there be some actual reason for this?

This doesn’t happen at every listening session, just occasionally and always when i haven’t switched off for days and days.

Something overheating?

1 Like

Next time this happens, try just rebooting the Allo DigiOne while leaving everything else alone. My hypothesis is that something wonky is going on there. Would be nice to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well the Pi is ok at 55° (it does run hotter with the Allo HAT on than it did before] the DAC seems ok but I’ll keep a watch.

Good idea, I might also connect USB as well so I can switch between when it happens again - although USB is brighter anyway.