Two Roon Servers (ROCK & Nucleus)?

Is it possible to have a ROON Rock on an Intel Nuc and a ROON Nucleus on the same network? I have ROON Rock running on an Intel NUC i9, but I want to purchase the new Nucleus One or better to improve ROON’s responsiveness on my network. Can I have both, or can I designate which device will be the ROON core?

You can certainly designate which device will be the Roon Core - and you can switch around anytime you like. However, you can only have one core active at a time with a single subscription. See:

It is also possible to have multiple subscriptions - either on separate accounts or on the same account - which will allow you to run with both cores active. If you have multiple servers using subscriptions on different accounts you will not be able to keep the servers synchronised by using backup on one server and restore on another. See:

Having said that, I’m not sure that moving from a NUC i9 to a Nucleus One will improve Roon’s responsiveness. You don’t give any details of your current processor but it is likely that a i9 based NUC already gives good performance.

You really don’t need massive grunt to run Roon. If you have responsiveness issues I think you should delve into investigating aspects such as your network, storage, etc. I’ve experimented with several platforms and have found that even a cheap little Trigkey can run Roon without a hitch.

I run a nuc 13 celeron with 16GB of ram as an endpoint and that is all it is suitable for. Even the I3 in my Grimm isn’t up to being a server. I have tried both out of interest but they were laggy and horrird

1 Like

Are there now NUCs with a Celeron? Don’t NUCs have mobile Core CPUs? Those on the supported list do. A NUC13 with a Core should be plenty fast as a Roon server.

If whatever you have has a Celeron, there are many different versions of this CPU and some are very slow. Depends

A larger library denotes the performance needs, smaller can run on lesser kit, but at 300k tracks I use an i7-10700 with 32gb ram and it performs adequately. Network speeds not normally an issue with gigabit lan and even 100mb endpoints are no issues. I run as many as 8 to 10 endpoints but all simultaneously playing.

I will find the model number when I get home.

Celeron N5105

Great endpoint running 16GB RAM

1 Like