U1/U2 Mini and Roon Device Setup

I presently have a LUMIN U1 Mini feeding an Esoteric RZ-1 via coax and a U2 Mini feeding a Chord Qutest via single BNC.

The Esoteric input can handle up to 192/24, while the Quest via the single BNC can handle up to 384/32.

When I go into Device Setup in Roon, the U1 setup shows max PCM rate of 192/24, while the U2 Device Setup shows a max PCM of 192/32.

Given that both Lumins can handle signals of up to 384 and 768 respectively, can anyone advise why I only see 192/32 for the U2?

I may be missing something pretty simple or just being particularly dense but I’d have thought that Roon would have recognised that the U2/ Qutest combination can handle up to 384. Should it? And if so how do I get it to do so? I can’t seem to find a way to do that.

Any help/ clarification on what’s going on, whether my assumption is correct and if so, how to fix, would be greatly appreciated.

Because you’re using SPDIF and not USB.
Also for SQ I would use for the Qutest (the RZ-1 seems to have only USB 1.0 included) the USB connection and then you can choose 768 kHz as max in Roon.

Thanks for the quick reply.

According to the specs of the Qutest, each of the two BNC coax inputs handle up to 384, so I thought that would be recognised by Roon.

I do intend to move to USB but that particular LUMIN is also feeding a Lyngdorf via SPDIF and AES at the moment - though my query relates to trying the Qutest without the Lyngdorf being connected.

1 Like

The SPDIF standard is technically 192k/24bit. Chord excess that by quite a bit, but most manufacturers don’t support sample rates/bit rates that high over SPDIF.

OK. I see what you mean. Just gone back to check the specs in the LUMIN output and all outputs with the exception of USB are 192.

Should have checked that before. It would have saved a lot of head scratching.

Thanks.

1 Like

Roon usually only recognizes the endpoints it’s connected to (the Lumins in your case) and not what’s behind those streamers – especially when you use unidirectional legacy digital connections. So users have to configure their streamers according to the capabilities of connected DACs.

Doesn’t necessarily mean that the streamer used also supports that sampling frequency on it’s outputs. Legacy digital outputs often share the same signal and be therefore limited by the slowest output offered (usually TOSLINK).

The same “same signal” limitation may also come to play into this situation if different connected DACs support different max sample rates on their inputs – you may have to go with the lowest one.

PS: That often no more than 192 kHz is supported for legacy digital outputs on streamers has already been pointed out. If in doubt, please check your manual, dealer or the device manufacturer:

grafik
grafik

Only via USB.

Other non-USB outputs are limited to 192kHz.

1 Like

Thank you all for the input. I thought that it had to be something obvious I was missing and should have gone back to check the LUMIN specs earlier. RTFM, as they say.

Anyway I’ll more than happy with the sound from both, it was just puzzling me why I wasn’t getting 384 on the U2 given the connection to the Qutest.

I intend to move on the Lyngdorf at some time as I don’t need two separate systems in the one room, so I’ll switch to USB at that point.

All clear now!

2 Likes