Ubiquity setup for Roon wifi streaming

Thanks for adding that. Didn’t even think about that aspect of it. I use the iOS app but only to connect to a CloudKey to see stats. Didn’t think about the details of transitioning the network profiles to a controller if already set-up in iOS. Good catch.

Didn’t know the er x had an iOS app. Handy to know

It’s called UNMS Mobile

The issue with not having a controller is that some features are on by default that I founf caused more issues than they solve. I use the phone app for simple changes and checking basic stuff but always use the full controller to properly maintain it all. The optimise wireless network setting for one can play havoc and stop certain WiFi devices from connecting. The controller gives you much more granular control over the the whole setup. But if your not experiencing issues then you should be ok. I would look to solve it though for any future issues that may crop up.

1 Like

Not true I can control all my setup using the phone app and use the controller as long as you setup initially using the controller and enable cloud control. The app is just then a basic way to control some features.

1 Like

I have moved from an Apple Airport express set up to Ubiquiti AMPLIFI Instant. Very happy with coverage, stability and the AMPLIFI app.

I have the telco provider on modem duty only and use the AMPLIFI Instant router in the study to generate the SSID. My Roon server is wired to the Amplifi access point in the living room.

AMPLIFI is the “simple” solution from Ubiquiti and has as I understand two main products, Mesh and Instant. The Mesh router is superior but the access point has no Ethernet connection (which I need in my set up) and that is why I have gone for the Instant

Ehhhhm… Are you sure about this?? I used the controller to set up all the main stuff and that setting gets perfectly well picked up in the iOS App where I then added some more refinements.

I cant see any trouble of those two interacting.

You may well be correct, however, when I tried to use the IOS app to communicate with an access point that I had previously set up with the main UniFi controller, I received an error message. I tried this several times without success and hence stuck with main controller application.

It was some time ago and I cannot remember the exact error message.

The iOS app says “devices managed by a controller that’s running will not be discovered”
Not sure what they mean by “discovered”

Unifi controller will see any new devices put on the network, you then adopt them to be controlled by that controller. They are no longer available to other controllers after adoption unless you remove them. They are standalone devices without the controller and not sure you get the full benefit of them as there is no communication between the different aps without a controller so handoff for deviced to another ap may not work as well as with a dedicated controller that’s running all the time.

This just means, that the auto-discovery will not work as this is meant for initial setup only. But as soon as you type in the IP of your unifi controller, it will be found and connected in iOS.

that would be really interesting to know for sure. Indeed I am not sure how devices move from one AP to another. I have now two AP’s and I wonder if there is a way that, without having different SSID’s:

• to ensure that a device that is in a fixed place stays connected to the same AP?
  • to ensure that a moving device moves to the closest/best signal AP?
    Does the controller have any features that achieve this?

I could be wrong but I think that only applies to the deprecated Zero-Handoff-Roaming, not ‘Fast Roaming’ support.

It provides access to configuration options not available in standalone mode that can make this more likely (e.g. min RSSI) but the precise behaviour is dependent on the clients.

Fast roaming causes more issues than it solves I find.

That’s helpful to know - was thinking of experimenting with it more when I get a UDM but maybe I won’t bother. Each time I try to read the tech notes on it I end up more confused than when I started!

Well I found out that they have changed the hardware in the US-8 switches without saying anything and it’s causing all sorts of headaches as its doesn’t work the same as the older ones. This is why I am having issues with Chromecasts when igmp snooping is on it seems. The new ones havr a USC designation and not USW and have a completely different CLI.

interesting

Yep I was getting support and they asked me to telnet into them but you can’t. They use icli which is some Cisco way I believe from reading up on the forum so is configured in a completely different way and seems to have igmp issues. I have fed back to them so hopefully will see what happens.

It’s annoying as on the box it’s just US-8 no mention of anything yet when you ssh it says it’s usc-8 they use newer arm hardware .

I’ve installed 3x AP-AC-Pro inside a double story and 2x AP-AC-Mesh-Pro on outside walls and can stream HD video and audio to a WiFi endpoint anywhere on a 1/2 acre property. Makes garden maintenance tolerable being able to focus on the music rather than the chore.

1 Like