Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?

Even with firewall disabled nothing.

Did it successfully bind to the mDNS port (UDP port 5353)?

Thatā€™s puzzling. Iā€™ve installed 20.04.1 server on two different NUCs and on a Zbox CI662 nano (the older NUC is a backup, the Zbox is to take to a second location). Roon worked perfectly from the start on all of them, without any special configuration. My router is an Ubiquiti Edgerouter with a custom configuration including dnsmasq for local name service, but thatā€™s recent and I had NUCs already working with 20.04 and roonserver before that.

It turned out to be a hardware-related issue. I have an old Atom NUC and installed / and /boot on the eMMC, with /var and /home on the internal HDD. I think it was just too slow and was somehow timing-out. When I cleared the eMMC and did a conventional guided full-disk install on the HDD everything worked perfectly.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also trying to use an older PC as a Roon server and local NAS for my home media files. Iā€™m not very familiar with using Linux, but I managed to install Ubuntu 20.04 - Minimal installation, using ZFS (as Iā€™ve read itā€™s more reliable for a server) and I tried to install Roon Server using the recommended ā€˜simpleā€™ install from the Roon website. Iā€™ve managed to run the script, but in the end of the installation it gives me an error. Not sure If I need to install anything else first? I thought the simple installation would be for dummies like myself, who are not familiar with installing other dependancies and and opening some firewalls, or what not.

Is there a simple way to just install the Roon server app and itā€™s ready to go?

Sorry, itā€™s all very new to me.

Can you share a screen shot or copy-paste of the error text? Roon Server requires a small number of dependencies as specified here.

Thanks! I was about to send you a screenshot and then noticed what the issue was. Got it sorted installed and Roon server working perfectly now! Thanks again!

1 Like

Error message might be something like install the cifs-utils package for your distribution

Ubuntu by default doesnā€™t auto mount partitions.
You simply need to install the mount.clfs components.

Googling, I did something like this, when I encountered the same issue:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install cifs-utils

Yes, and the error message might give you a clue to do so.
The script could even install the dependencies.