Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS and DSD Native Support on standard and realtime kernel

Hello,

Can you tell me if the standard installation of Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS supports the DSD playback natively? Have you experience both with standard kernel (5.15.0-105-generic) and the realtime one (5.15.0-10-1032-realtime)?

Many thanks,
Bye

It depends on the used DAC (you meant connection through USB) and so nobody can answer your question.
Jussi (HQPlayer) offer some modified kernels with more supported DACs and you can also create your own kernel for your used DAC.

Assuming the DAC has the support for the native DSD. My question is about the OS kernel support. Just to clarify, my question is related to this paragraph in the roon help:

" libasound2 (1.0.27+ required, 1.0.29+ recommended)
Roon depends on ALSA, the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Most distributions have a package called alsa-lib or libasound2 that satisfies this dependency. In order to support Native DSD playback, you need a kernel that supports your device ( see here–you may need to patch your kernel) as well as ALSA 1.0.29+. We have not tested Roon against older ALSA libraries–they may work, may not."

The github suggested is really old, with last update on 7 years ago. So, I’m asking if today we need to care about this “problem” or it is taken for granted in the new OS, like Ubuntu Server 22.04. At this time I’m using ROCK and I’m able to play DSD natively on my Holo Audio May. Because I’m planning to build a custom linux machine based on Ubuntu Server 22.04, I would like to know I’ll don’t have any problems with DSD.

Thanks.