ultraRendu - intended market and alternatives?

No, not a better analogy. A CSU/DSU is not a “modem”.

Also, there is this standard called USB Audio. So that port supports USB Audio output only so it is indeed a “USB Audio Output” port…

You are right - but in that thread the discussion started referring the [Edit, not the Nucleus but the non technical part of the audiophile market] - all about the context, not titles! That’s why once split, does not matter really - well maybe “ultraRendu - intended market and alternatives?” - at least Rendu fans won’t get upset just by reading the title?

v

What? Now you are not reading carefully - that’s what happens when people get upset… you are making my point by agreeing that is not a modem. Another example of hiding complexity (not much initially, to be fair, but well…) from the technologically challenged…

v

Good but tough question. There’s plenty of valid reasons to be cynical of new products from new vendors. But ultimately, trust and respect must be earned and built upon. Sonore designed the microRendu and later ultraRendu, early on to the highest specifications at a time when there was little competition for what they were trying to do. Their products are solid and have received many accolades. But, they are expensive, particularly when compared to what’s on the market today. If you’re not an audiophile with a high-end rig or if you’re streaming to a secondary system, there is probably little value in purchasing such a high-end product, but IMHO if you’re looking for DSD playback, small footprint, lowest noise, etc… then Sonore is one of a few contenders that can get you there.

To be clear, In a highly resoliving audio system, an rPi endpoint will work just fine and sound great. But to my ears, my microRendu offers up a bit better sound quality. Worth it? That’s for your ears and wallet to decide. But I don’t see why Sonore should be criticized for trying to raise the bar. I bought mine well before there were cheaper alternatives. Would I buy it again now given the many alternatives? Perhaps not. But then, I’m still using it and have no interest in selling it.

6 Likes

Oh sure - if it works it works - and to be fair, I found it because I actually considered it - it was the comment split AND the comments on the split thread that made me stop and think about it. I was thinking of adding “audiophile routers” to the conversation but the thread is too much fun already - that might take it over the top! :smiley:

v

No. I read carefully. USB Audio is a subset of USB. A CSU/DSU and a modem are not the same but appear to perform the same function to those that are not familiar with the underlying technology. Because I am not “technologically challenged”, I see the flaw in your analogy.

The point is that the USB style connector on the ultraRendu is NOT a general purpose USB port. It is limited to USB Audio and is an output port. Hence the port being labeled “USB Audio Output”. It is not called that for the sinister reasons you suggest…

1 Like

ha - ok - but usb audio is data! - I bet you that given some time with the device I could make the thing print from that port! :smiley:

Buy really, I agree the reasons are not sinister - it is their market, it is what it is… again, missing some context.

v

Sonore doesn’t post pics of their circuit boards but Allo does so lets talk about the USBridge Signature. This has a port marked “USB Clean”. This is the equv to the “Audio Output” on the uR. See a theme here? Take, basically, a SBC with USB ports and mark one of them for the DAC. Call it clean or Audio or whatever. A few products do this.

But you’re right… this is just a USB Data port. It has to be or it wouldn’t work. So why mark it differently? Because the circuitry around this USB port is different than the others. Look at the USBridge Sig circuit board. It’s the port near the HDMI on the USB-C power side of the board.

You’ll notice the circuitry around this port is different and the vendor considers it “clean” and the one to use with the DAC. You’ll also notice the board layout has a heck of a lot more filtering and voltage regulation than your off the shelf Raspberry Pi.

Now… does this make a difference to what you hear? Buy one and try it. I know my USBridge Signature sounds different than my off the shelf Pi 4. Am I “defending” the labeling and screen printing? No. I agree… it’s kind of silly. But, these devices do sound different from each other. Better? Worth the price? Only you can decide in your system.

I think when you invest 4 or 5 or 6 figures or more in your listening environment there are additional gains to be had by upgrading from a $45 SBC to feed your DAC. Looking past the “marketing” of a “USB Audio Port” Sonore makes a very fine product that does what it says (for the significant majority of people who buy them at least).

Again… buy one… try it out. You can practically sell it for what you paid for they. There is demand on the used market.

2 Likes

Yet you say:

Your verbiage seems to suggest you think it is sinister…

No it doesn’t; you are quoting out of context. They need to do it for the sake of their market and was never implied it was bad or sinister - IT IS WHAT IT IS, that’s who they are selling to. I think you are inferring an implication that I am calling you technologically illiterate if you own a Rendu - nothing like that - their intended market and who buys do not always match - know plenty of car nuts that own a Camry… Don’t be so thin skinned.

But this is a fight I did not want to have - the comments were made in the context of the different thread, talking about market segmentation. It was not my intention to hurt your Dunning-Krueger - you are brilliant and a tech guru - your Rendu proves it.

I will probably go back to the safety of ASR - true discussion, true knowledge, good people.
I do wish the moderator had not split the comments, put them in the fanboi group and gave it that title. My bad for not backing down, but come on. It was like dropping me in the middle of the flying monkey barracks without giving me the chance to get my ruby slippers…

Muted.

v

It’s “Dunning-Kruger” as in “Dunning-Kruger effect”.

Nice insults, by the way. You do know that personal attacks are not allowed here.

ASR is a great place if you want to live in a world where only measurements matter and sound quality is based solely on those numbers. Never mind the fact that measurements only tell part of story because we don’t measure everything that matters…have fun!

2 Likes

I have a microrendu for sale too as I also went with Lumin endpoints.

3 Likes

The Dunning-Kruger effect - which of course has been debunked.

It’s also not an unreasonable expectation that Community Moderators behave with absolute impartiality.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I agree with @vmartell

@andybob has a vested interest here, being the owner of a microRendu. I have to question the motives behind chosing to split this thread out from the original discussion and giving it a deliberately contentious title (which I note has now been changed)

Is it entirely surprising that @vmartell has gotten his dander up?

I respectfully request that this thread be closed before the discussion degenerates any further.

Seriously?

1 Like

Terrific device. Not even comparable with a Pi. Great support either from Sonore. I had a mR, uR and oR. Still have the two latest! :hugs:

My gripe with the rendu products is that changing to support other streaming protocols is a PITA and the likes of Ropieee and others don’t have this restriction which means my other users in the household (wife most importantly) can just open her client of choice (not roon) and stream to whatever endpoint she wants.

Not sure what you mean. I am not very experienced but what client do you use that you can not use on the rendus? I use Squeezelite, Roon, iPeng, Spotify connect and all work with the rendus. My wife preference is Spotifyconnect. It’s so easy.
By the way you can even have all your music stored on the rendus and play it directly without any other devices. This was enabled by 2.8.

I’d like to think that if I was going to choose a deliberately contentious title that I could come up with something spicier than “Criticism of ultraRendu”. Seemed a pretty straightforward summary of the first three posts to me.

I’ll leave your request and the flag for other @moderators to decide.

You have to pick as I recall (its been a while) which is the active option to use in the Rendu configuration…I didn’t get past the having to pay for an SD card update that was predominantly damaged in shipping from many reports so left it at 2.7. Why they couldn’t just give access to an image download is beyond me. Anyway I still have the microRendu and might still find an application for it but with 3 Lumin’s in the house and a dozen RPI’s to play thru its on the shelf for now with a forsale tag on it.