ultraRendu - intended market and alternatives?

We have discuss the intended market being primarily Roon users. However, there are other output protocols on the Rendu series (full version of Sonic Orbiter OS) worth mentioning. These are selectable via our App Switcher and configureable via Settings. These are Apps that we maintain up to date for you via updates in Software Manager.

The Rendu series supports:

• Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output
  • Mode #2 - ShairPort Output
  • Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:
  • Mode #3a - DLNA Output
  • Mode #3b - MPD Output
  • Mode #3c - Songcast Output (beta)
  • Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output
  • Mode #5 - RoonReady Output
  • Mode #6 - Spotify Connect Output (beta)

In the sprit of providing “alternatives” we have several products in the Rendu series each at a different price point to match your budget.

This is the current Rendu series from lowest price to highest price:

• microRendu - cable Ethernet to USB Audio output
  • ultraRendu - cable Ethernet to USB Audio output
  • opticalRendu - cable/fiber Ethernet to USB Audio output
  • signatureRendu - cable/fiber Ethernet to USB Audio output

If you are wondering what the hardware difference are I have created a comparison sheet:

2 Likes

The lack of knowledge [moderated] is staggering. There’s this site - https://audiophilestyle.com - which is a great place to pick up knowledge.

Personally, I bought the original uRendu, then the upgraded version, both of which I gave to friends to use in their systems. I use the ultraRendu now in my own, powered by a Paul Hynes LPSU (hand made in the outer Hebrides). Together, they make a big difference for the better.

Sonore is a first class business that looks after their customers, and I couldn’t recommend them more highly (if what you’re seeking is best audio performance at the most economic price point).

6 Likes

Can you please confirm if the ultra will do multichannel routing with Roon/Rock.

I currently use a Pi4 for a convolution multichannel setup, and would like to try something different.

Roon Rock feeding a Pi running Ubuntu server and Roon bridge allows up to 8 channels of stereo routing/EQ/convolution for my active speaker setup.

My signal path is
Rock > Pi4 usb > Motu ultra lite mk5 > multiple amplifiers

Crossover are implemented using either procedural or convolution filters.

Many thanks

It should and worth a try especially if you plan to you a good power supply!

Thanks for your comment.
When you say it should, let me ask these questions:

1. What Linux Kernal does the Sonore Ultra run. The Motu Ultralite MK5 lite seems to operate best using Ubuntu Kernels 5.13+ and above. The Motu works as a class compliant device under these most recent Kernels, providing auto sampling rate changes. So I need these maintained.
  2. My current setup uses a Pi4, with a Linear Power Supply from Gieseler. Kraftwerk II.
    https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kraftwerk-ii-dual
    What benefit sonically could I expect using a Ultra? over this solution?
  3. Do you expect the Sonore Ultra to sound better than a LPS Pi4 setup?

Is there anything else I should know regarding the Sonore Ultra limitations/Advantages in this type of setup?

We are running a headless OS on 5.4. Never heard of that PS and I have not measured it, so no idea if it’s low noise. Just that it’s hooked up to a SMPS makes me dought it. Also, the uR works best at 7 VDC input. The Pi4 is not a uR…the uR has numerous ultra low noise linear regulators driving important curcuits and a ultra low noise oscilator for the processor.

Lol,

Sorry the Gieseler Kraftwerk 2 Dual is the one I use.
The power supply is a Linear supply, using an external 2.5A external EI core transformer (That’s the brick). Not SMPS.

Dual channel…
Selectable voltage: 5v, 7v, 9v, and 12v at 3A output with full short circuit and thermal overload protection.

In Australia, Gieseler has a very good reputation.

Do you have any clients running the Ultra in multi channel USB mode.
I’m concerned the Ultra won’t work driverless with Motu MK5 Ultralite (which is class compliant)

I would have to meassure it to know it’s performance. Spec wise it seems okay, use 7VDC with a Rendu.

I use multichannel here for testing:

Can I please ask did the setup change sampling rates automatically? In line with Roon source material?

I also assume you used Roon’s procedural routing DSP or convolution filters for the Roon tests? Is this correct?
Thanks

I’m not concerned about the power supply. It’s good. My focus is on the capability of the Sonore with multichannel stereo.

Of course it changes rates. DSP and convolution filters are not relavant to our testing because these are server side responsibililties.

Hi Jesus, unfortunately this is not always the case, especially when pro interfaces are used.
Some interfaces need to be sample rate locked, because the endpoint device/Multi channel DAC don’t communicate correctly to change rate. Especially under a Linux environment.

The type of routing employed is therefore relevant, at least to me.
When the device was tested was procedural routing or convolution used in the Roon DSP engine?
One of these routing types must have been used for testing? otherwise how was Sonore/Roon channel routing validated to be correct for a stereo to multiway active/crossover DSP speaker setup.

There are no guarantees in this sector so you will have to test it. The only known information is what is in the link I sent you. The server side questions are for Roon…I don’t want to qualify features we are not responsible for. The channel mapping was noted with multi channel test files.