Umbrage on the rise?

There are 2 things in this statement I’d like to address. The first is: It does not matter how bad things are, you don’t get to act badly. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Bad circumstances do not justify repeated bad behavior. Everyone can slip up here and there, so a nudge in the right direction using empathy and comforting words is the best response, but if that doesn’t come, the incorrect and unacceptable way to react is by having a public internet forum style tantrum.

Now, to address things like server capacity or load: The reason it goes unacknowledged is because 99% of the time, the problem is not on our end. We happen to know how long each request takes. We see trends in the response times over milliseconds that set off alarms for our devops team. We usually know of these types of problems and resolve them well before you feel them. This is the reality of modern cloud computing. Things to do happen and outages do occur, but they are rare. They are not like Google-rare or Netflix-rare, but they are very uncommon for a company our size.

There is a good way to behave, and a bad way. Recently, you were involved in a toxic altercation. There was a user who exploded with a tantrum about how a 1.8 upgrade destroyed his database and how 1.8 sucked and how terrible this software was and how it should have been QA’d better and its shameful/unacceptable/blablah. Turns out the SSD in his system went bad and because 1.8 triggered a database migration from 1.7 to 1.8, it walked the entire database for the first time in a while, and that caused his system to freak out.

He had a backup, and many people brought up (in a related thread) the fact that database corruption will get backed up and good database backups will be lost if you don’t have much history. This lack of DB check previous to backup got acknowledged as being an issue and we are going to check the DB before backups in a future build. The work is on the short term roadmap. It’ll help catch bad hardware sooner. The user was nudged towards civility and they cooled down quick. They are now replacing that SSD.

Yes, the software and systems could be better, but when it comes to the behavior on the forum, the biggest mistake we’ve made is to allow bad behavior to continue so long. The software has a team to fix it. The forums need some help, which is what we are starting now.

That’s a very nice definition, but I’m referring to someone far less appetizing. Soapboxing on internet forums isn’t about opinions, it’s about the act of lecturing, spouting, and ranting about a particular subject to attempt to make a point or a stand. Think about the posters that must bring up MQA in any context and those who can not help but attack MQA. Even the above post I commented about earlier is a form of soap boxing. He just cant help but continue to preach about his problems and make sweeping generalizations meant to inflame and offend.

You made this comment about “slow server-side” and lack of acknowledgment:

If users are experiencing this -slow loading of server side data - (and I am) and there is no (obvious) recognition by Roon that this is even an issue […]

It was civil and addressable. The next move after my comment in return is for you to provide some debuggable symptoms. Unfortunately, the previous comment said this:

The server side end of the cloud infrastructure can’t cope with what’s going on and the forum server is useless. Add this up with support being mostly absent, left to a few poor souls to try and manage and it all looks a bit suspicious that things are not what they where at Roon towers.

I don’t even know how to respond to this toxicity. If he was in my bar, I’d just walk away.

Once again, it is important to consider that these are support related issues, which are just a minor part of the toxicity. The vast majority of the moderation here is spent in non-support topics. The toxicity has grown and requires addressing.

2 Likes