Unable to access Synology NAS from Mac - Roon Server

I am having problems accessing my new Synology NAS. I can mount the various shared folders on my Finder desktop but when I try to “Add Network Share” I repeatedly get “Could not connect to share: Unauthorized” messages. I have triple checked that the username and password are correct. I have also tried using variations of the Network Share Location (smb, IP address, \sharename\ etc) without any luck. I have enabled SMB3 on the NAS.

Would very much appreciate some help and guidance.

FAQ: I’m having trouble setting up my NAS

Need more help?

• How do the shares look in finder?
  • What have you entered in Roon?

Please post screenshots to show us what’s going on/wrong on your side.

Here a couple of screenshots.

Desktop with various NAS shares/folders mounted. I can double click on these and open them without issues.

And here is what happens when I try to “Add a Network Share” to the one at bottom left called “Music folder”

I hope the screenshots have been embedded in this.

Oops - got my left and right confused.

Your first picture shows an AFP-share. Roon needs an SMB-share.

Excerpt from the FAQ I linked in my first post:

• Don’t enable AFP or Timemachine if possible – some users may need this functionality for other applications, but they’re not needed for Roon. You can find more information about why AFP is not supported here.

Please disable AFP on your DiskStation at least until you got Roon working.
After that open finder and search for the SMB-share(s).

BlackJack
I am making progress (with your help - many thanks).
Have disabled AFP and can now mount them as SMB-shares on my desktop. Doing a get info shows:

But I am still having the same “Unauthorised” problem:

Never been able to use the .local automatic server name to connect Roon to my Synology NAS. Instead, I use \nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn… where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the (fixed) IP address of my Synology server. In addition, my NAS music folder (just one in my case) is set up as a Synology shared folder.

Fernando - thanks. I have applied a fixed IP and that seems to have made a change to the behaviour. I now have Roon thing to add a network share showing “Adding” for 60 secs (precisely) before Roon comes back with “Unexpected error” - which is not very helpful or informative. Still stumped.

Surely there are lots of Roon users with a Synology NAS who have overcome this problem? I cannot be unique…

Many further suggestions would be most welcome (from anyone)

Corrections to previous post’s typos:

Fernando - thanks. I have given a fixed IP address to the Synology NAS and that seems to have made a change to the behaviour. I now have Roon trying to add a network share showing “Adding” for 60 secs (precisely) before Roon comes back with “Unexpected error” - which is not very helpful or informative. Still stumped.

Surely there are lots of Roon users with a Synology NAS who have overcome this problem? I cannot be unique…

Any further suggestions would be most welcome (from anyone)

As long as there isn’t a central authentication server running in your network, the only users known to the NAS are the ones that you setup on your NAS (there’s at least the user you use to login on your NAS).

grafik
contradicts

If you enabled guest access to the shares then you shouldn’t provide a username / password.

See also: Assign Shared Folder Permissions.

With help from another Roon user on another topic I have succeeded.

For me the three key steps were as follows:

1. I needed to specify the IP address of the NAS in the “Add network Share” - just using the NAS name never worked. My thanks to user Fernando_Pereria for this tip (see above)

2. To achieve the above I set a fixed IP address in the Synology DSM as follows: Network - Network interface - chose LAN 1 and selected “Edit” and then switched to “Manual interface” and in my case used 192.168.0.99 as the IP address.

3. The final piece to the puzzle was to use the “admin” user on the Synology NAS. This was disabled by default but enabling it and setting a password did the trick. This is in the DMS on Synology and you select “User” then click on the user “admin” and “edit”. Enable the user and set a password.

I then specified that username (admin) and password in the “Add Network Share” on Roon and it worked. It looks like this:

I hope the above steps might be of help to other Synology NAS users facing similar problems. There may well be other ways of achieving it but these steps worked for me.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and help.

You don’t really need “admin.” You just need a Synology user who has access to the shared folders you want Roon to see.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.