Unable to Connect via IPv6 and IPv4 with Error Code 504 (ref#VYTGTK)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

Other

{
"ipv6_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":504,"error":"error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined"},
"ipv4_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":504,"error":"error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined"},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"108.hhh.iii.jjj","actual_external_ipv6":"2600:aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd:eee:fff:ggg","router_external_ip":"null"},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"}
}

Firstly, it looks like you have not got uPnP or natPmP enabled on your router so your Roon server cannot setup a port forwarding rule on your router.

You may find that you can get it to work (for ip v4 - which is good enough) simply by enabling uPnP on your router. This will not do any configuration for ipv6.

If enabling uPnP does not work, you will have to create an ipv4 port forwarding rule on your router to forward the Roon ARC port (as seen on the Roon → Settings → ARC page) to the roon server ip address (also seen on the ARC settings page) for TCP. You do not need to forward UDP traffic.

If you want to get it to work for ipv6 as well as ipv4, then you will have to manually configure an ipv6 firewall pinhole. In the ip v6 firewall settings you will need to configure an exception to allow TCP traffic to the ARC port destined for the Roon server ipv6 address to propagate.

You can find out your ipv6 address from the advanced information available on the ARC settings page:

You will then see something like (my full ipv6 address is masked):

Note: If your allocated ipv6 prefix is dynamic (determined by your ISP) and you use the full ipv6 address in the firewall rule, you will need to change the ip address whenever the prefix changes.

You may be able to work around this by specifying the suffix only part of the ipv6 address.

For example, if your ipv6 prefix is “aaaa:bbbb:cccc:dddd/64” and you Roon Server ipv6 address is “aaaa:bbbb:cccc:dddd:eeee:ffff:gggg:hhhh”, you may be able to use “::eeee:ffff:gggg:hhhh” in the ip address field of your firewall exception.

I use this technique on my Asus router and BT broadband in the UK who issue a dynamic ipv6 prefix - so my router ipv6 firewall configuration (for Roon ARC and my VOIP phone service) is:

For more information on the ipv4 port forwarding setup you can read:

and

As yet, these articles do not address ipv6 setup - because, until very recently, there have been some issues with ipv6 with one ISP (Starlink) and so it has not been officially supported. However, I believe that the last two releases have included a change which is hoped will fix the issue so ipv6 should be working - at least for most people.

1 Like

Thanks.
I have asked about that in a previous thread, but I had a different problem. Your suggestion was to use my Mesh (TP-Link Deco) as an access point only. That is what I did, and the message I sent yesterday was the one I relayed to you.
I went to my ISP modem

and tried to get a profile of the system. Here are screen shots of my ISP modem, maybe could help you

Hi @Felipe_Salles,
Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. I noticed in the information that you posted that UPnP is turned off. Try turning it on in your router settings if you can locate it. Meanwhile, I will consult my colleague @connor who is more knowledgeable about port forwarding and we will get back to you.

OK. So it looks as if you have solved the MultipleNat issue that you originally had in the thread at:

But now you need to set up the port forwarding on the AT&T router. You no longer need to worry about the Tp-Link DECO since that, now that it is in Access Point mode, is no longer involved in the allocation of ip addresses and does not do NAT.

The lan side ipv4 address of your AT&T router is 192.168.1.254 so the ip address of your Roon Server should be 192.168.1.x where 1 <= x < 254. In fact, if your Roon server gets its address from DHCP, then 64 <= x < 254 because the router is set to issue ip addresses from a pool of addresses starting at 192.168.1.64 and ending with 192.168.1.253.

I found a post at How do I turn on my uPnP that states that AT&T routers (gateways) do not support uPnP. If that is the case, your only option for a ipv4 solultion is to use a manual port forwarding rule. I found this article on AT&T’s support site which may help you. It is for a BGW210 modem/gateway which I believe is made by Arris.

That should help you get ipv4 port forwarding to work - which should be all that you need for ARC connectivity.

I would try to get ipv4 connectivity working before worrying about ipv6.

This is because, as soon as you get one working, and Roon Server successfully uses it to establish ARC connectivity, it ceases to generate the diagnostic information relating to the other connection method. Ipv4 connectivity is generally still more useful than ipv6 (I have ipv6 connectivity working - in the sense that I don’t get an error when I turn off the ipv4 port forwarding rule - but I can not use it because my phone network provider does not offer ipv6 connectivity).

Once you have ipv4 connectivity working, you can either stop there or you can go on to configure the ipv6 firewall to allow ARC port TCP traffic to the Roon Server ipv6 address through. You will almost certainly do this through the ‘Firewall’ page of your Router. Unfortunately, I can’t find instructions and/or screen shots showing how to do this.

Be aware, however, that if the ipv6 prefix is dynamic, then, as I said in my post above, it can cause issues with firewall configuration if not done correctly.

1 Like

Hi @Felipe_Salles,

Here are instructions for setting up a manual port forwarding rule in the BGW210:

This will allow you to port forward via IPv4 without the use of UPnP autoconfiguration, since you have Bridged the second router.

To open a port for user-defined applications:

1. Go to your gateway settings.
  2. Select Firewall.
  3. Enter the Device Access Code found on the side of your gateway.
  4. Select NAT/Gaming.
  5. If you get a warning message, restart your Wi-Fi gateway. Then, continue with these steps.
  6. Select the application for port forwarding from the Service drop-down. If you don’t see your application, or you’re setting up port forwarding for a device:
  • Select Custom Services.
  • Enter the name for the application or device in Service Name.
  • Enter the port(s) you wish to open for Global Port Range. This should match the port number in Roon → Settings → ARC.
  • In Base Host Port, enter the port number used for the first Global Port Range section. This should also be the port in Roon → Settings - >ARC.
  • Select the appropriate Protocol from the drop-down for the application or device you are adding. This should be TCP.
  • Select Add. Repeat as needed for additional applications and devices.
  • When all applications or devices have been added, select Return to NAT/Gaming. Your new applications or devices will display in the Applications list.
  1. Select the device name or IP address of the device from the Needed by Device drop-down, to open the port. This should be your RoonServer IP address in Roon → Settings → ARC.
  2. Select Add.
  3. When your selections display in Hosted Applications, select Save.

You’ll probably need to restart your router and RoonServer.

Hi, thanks for the tip, I’ll go try it today and let you guys know the result

1 Like

Hi Connor and Wade_Oram. I followed the steps modifying the NAT/Gaming settings, all perfect. I am quite happy that I have Roon Arc up and running.
Just one last question, out of curiosity. If I no longer have the mesh set as an access point, it would stop working, correct?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Felipe_Salles,

Configuring the TP-Link unit as an Access Point instead of a second router won’t prevent it from projecting a WiFi signal and providing an internet connection to your devices. You’re simply disabling its ability to impose network translation and address assignment on the network since you have another router that is already performing those necessary functions.

We’re glad to hear it’s up and running. Please let us know if we can assist further in a new topic thread.