Unable to remotely access Roon Arc with Grain ISP and Google Nest Router (ref#GP326X)

Full form submission

Network Setup

I use a single personal router not provided by my ISP

ARC Status

ARC is *Not Ready*

Roon Error Code

None of these are listed. It simply says "TIMEDOUT" or similar.

System or third-party *firewalls *or *antivirus software* can sometimes block RoonServer from reaching ARC.

Try adding RoonServer and its associated processes to the whitelist of any firewalls or antivirus software you have installed, including the Windows system firewall, if applicable.
[You can learn more about firewall exceptions with Roon here.](https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/firewall)

Has the status in Roon -> Settings -> ARC changed after adding exceptions in your firewalls and antivirus software for Roon?
ARC is still *Not Ready*

Don't give up yet.

I'm stuck. I'd like to create a post to ask Roon Community for help.

I'm unable to access Roon Arc remotely. I've gone through the troubleshooting guide but have been unable to fix the problem. I have no issues access Plex remotely through either Plex or PlexAmp apps, so I'm really not sure what's preventing Roon from being able to connect with the Roon Arc app. It could well be something very simple, but I just don't have the knowledge unfortunatly!

My ISP is Grain and I'm using a Google Nest Router.

{
"ipv4_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":504,"error":"error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined"},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"5.aaa.bbb.ccc","actual_external_ipv6":"null","router_external_ip":"null"},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"}
}

Grain ISP using a Google Nest Router with a wired ethernet connection to the PC running the Roon Server.

Hi @Mike_Spendlove,

Thank you for your post. Plex uses a separate port forwarding mechanism from Roon and will function differently under the same conditions - the blockage here is likely quite simple and resolvable.

RoonServer can’t autoconfigure port forwarding across two routers - this is something you’ll have to do manually by either 1) placing the ISP router in bridge mode, leaving it as a modem without active WiFi OR 2) creating the same TCP port forwarding rule in the settings page of each router.

If you choose the second option, you’ll need to enter the Port Forwarding settings for the Nesh router first (here’s a guide). Create a TCP port forwarding rule pointing to the IP address and port listed in Roon Settings → ARC. Then, you’ll need to find out how to enter the settings page for the Grain router and create the exact same rule.

If you continue to have issues, then there’s a possibility that your ISP has put a layer of CG-NAT upstream of your account. You’ll need to reach out to them to ask if they use CG-NAT and if it can be bypassed.

Thank you!

1 Like

That’s fantastic @connor , thank you so much for explaining the issue and the suggestions to get things fixed. Really appreciate it :smiley:

1 Like