Unboxing Chord 2go

Roon has ZERO visibility to the SD cards. For that, you must use an MPD or DLNA app. They are more for if you take the device out of your home and want to play music you’ve copied to it.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve had my Hugo2Go setup for a few weeks now. I’ve probably got about fifty hours of playtime on it now. I purchased the Hugo 2 and 2Go at the same time, to be a “transportable” headphone rig around my house while trapped at home under the COVID-19 lockdown.

I specifically chose the Hugo2Go combo over the Mojo/Poly for two reasons: 1) The Hugo 2 has more power at the headphone output (not massively more, mind you, but still more flexibility for driving different headphones), and 2) the 2Go has an Ethernet port while the Poly does not. I live in a dense urban area (hi-rise condo), where 2.4GHz is massively oversaturated to the point of being nearly useless. While I can use it on Wi-Fi, I get frequent dropouts and song skips (dozens per hour) because Chord stupidly went with a 2.4GHz-only design. Their excuse of better wall penetration and “you don’t need the bandwidth” is a copout. It’s not about wall penetration or bandwidth. It’s about 2.4GHz being useless. Where I live, over 60% of the 2.4GHz duty cycle is just management beacon frames. That’s not even data getting transferred, it’s all my neighbor’s Wi-Fi access points shouting out “I’m here! I’m here!”. With 5GHz, that wouldn’t be an issue. But because of this, I also have Ethernet switches in every room, so the Ethernet port on the 2Go allows me to connect it anywhere I choose to listen and avoid the dropous/skips. (I will be explicit that ALL 2.4GHz-only devices have trouble in my home – not just the 2Go.)

Generally, speaking, the 2Go has been pretty reliable. I have, however, had two times where after taking it off the charger, Roon wouldn’t see it until I rebooted the 2Go itself (despite being pingable by IP). (With the Hugo 2 turned off, hold the button on the 2Go in for about five seconds until it turns off. Then turn on the Hugo 2, which will also boot the 2Go back up.) This is with the currently available firmware (0.9.1). I also have the problem others have reported with both the 2Go and the Poly where if I am using it on Wi-Fi and roam from one AP to another, it will generally just fall offline and need to reboot the 2Go to get it reconnected to Wi-Fi. Chord (on another forum) has said they are aware of this and looking into it.

I have heard the occasional pop reported on the other forum, but only very rarely. Maybe three or four times tops across all the hours I have on it now. Chord has also said they are looking into these. So hopefully a software fix will address it for the people experiencing it more severely. But for me, it happens so infrequently, it’s not an issue for me.

In general, I’ve been happy with the 2Go. It does what I bought it for — a transportable headphone rig for Roon around the house. Most of the people posting frustrations have been those trying to use it with the SD cards. I have not tried that at all, so can’t comment on the issues. I use it exclusively for Roon.

Edit to add: I am not a Chord fanboi. This is my first Chord experience. But there aren’t many (trans)portable Roon solutions available, unless you are willing to do a lot of DIY. Is it overpriced for what you get? Yes, absolutely. But I see this as a “one and done” that solves a specific use case for me, and I have no quips with the sound quality of the Hugo 2.

5 Likes

I have had the 2go for about 4 weeks now and I average about 6 hours a day on it - playing podcasts (via airplay to speakers) and music (Roon to headphones). Mostly WiFi, but sometimes Ethernet. The device works fine but there are some teething problems it seem.

My observations:

Initial setup: Straightforward. In fact, I initially just inserted my Ethernet cable, enabled the device in Roon and started playback. It was only later that I downloaded the app for more setup options.

Roon: works well, but there is the odd occasion where Roon won’t see the 2go requiring a reboot of the 2go.

Airplay: needs improving - I regularly experience difficulty connecting i.e. 2go not showing up, drop offs, and cracking sounds occasionally.

Bluetooth: only tried this once to output sound from a windows PC. Found major lip sync issues.

SD Cards: works well for me as it is not a major use case for me. I only use a single microsd card and I’m able to play music (upnp) without issues when I go for a long walk outside the house. For those looking to use both sd card slots there is an issue whereby you have the choose either the left or the right card in the app - you cant access files from both cards simultaneously at the moment, apparently.

GoFigure app; Quite basic looking at the moment especially if you used to slicker UIs like Roon :slight_smile: .

Rebooting the 2go: when I have had to manually restart the 2go, there have been times when it just wouldn’t come back up for around 5 minutes with no indication of what the problem is.

Thermal issues: I have noticed that the 2go causes the Hugo2 to run so hot that the Hugo2 shuts down especially if the 2go is being charged and in use. So I now mostly run it on batteries and charge it when not in use.

Overall, a nice little device that mostly meets my need for a quality cable-free Roon endpoint. Most of the issues appear to be firmware/software related which Chord are actively looking into.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that he gets paid by the companies to do these videos so they are certainly not like actual reviews, more like marketing videos. For an alternate point of view see this person’s video-

Also note that Rob Watts, the designer of Chord DACs, has nothing to do with wireless and doesn’t use it himself. The 2go and Poly was developed by somebody else.

I have a Hugo 1 and am contemplating spending some money, but don’t want to purchase the Hugo 2 and 2go, if the roon certification will get postponed like for the A&K.

I wondered how the certification is going?

Thanks

Hey @mannp,

Generally, we can’t comment on certification progress. Certification is a collaboration between two companies and requires testing + technical feedback from both our end and the other company, Chord in this case.

If you reach out directly to Chord, they might be able to provide some more details of how certification is going on their end, but on our end the answer here will always be the same - the device will only be certified once it’s ready and passes all the necessary checks.

1 Like

Hi,
I just purchased a Hugo2 with 2Go and I don‘t get it to work as a Roon endpoint…
If I enable WiFi Hotspot in the GoFigure App and then connect my IPad with the 2Go’s network and go to configuration page, I can‘t see the point Roon int the play mode settings…there is only DSD…
What can I do?
Thank you,
Michael
Do you speak german? Your nam sounds german…

You need to connect the 2go to your house WiFi, the network where Roon sits.
Not the 2go hotspot.

Yes, I know…but I thought I have to enable Roon in the play mode settings in the way I described above…
If the 2Go is in the same network as the Roon core, I don‘t see the endpoint. I only see the 2Go as Airplay endpoint (which doesn‘t play,too…)

Hmm, I don’t remember what I did, I just remember it worked immediately.

You just need to make sure your 2go is on the same network as your Roon core and control. “WiFi hotspot” in the GoFigure app should be set to off. Also make sure the 2go (not just the hugo2) is switched on.

This was required with older versions of the Poly firmware. With 2Go, Roon Bridge is always enabled. So long as it is on the same network as your Roon Core, it should be available in Settings->Audio in Roon to enable.

I’ve had a decent amount of time with the Hugo 2 / 2go combo now and, as this is a Roon forum, I’ll say yes it’s great. Roon, esp over ethernet, is rock solid for me. All other input methods are very problematic though. Very problematic. Forthcoming firmware I expect would address these so i’m not too worried but check your use case for now.

Wifi is pretty much rock solid for me with the 2go. Using a Google Wifi mesh network. Your mileage may vary.

My Wifi is a bit hit and miss with the 2go. Pretty similar experiences to @cwichura and @fido regarding having to reboot 2go due to lost connection, and also the odd dropouts or even quickly bypassing certain songs on an album and not playing them at all, before finally starting to play a song. This is usually at night, when I use a different ethernet port in a different room though. Although the port is on the main router!!?? So would expect the signal to be strong as can be.
Are we confident this need for reboots will be addressed in a future upgrade from Chord?

Oh and the 2go and Hugo 2 get incredibly warm while charging, even when not playing at same time. At least twice now the units have switched off due to heat. Seems less heat when charging USB to USB rather than main charger, but obviously this is a slower way to charge, so would prefer to use charger instead but a bit concerned that the heat generated using this method might cause long term damage to units.

On the subject of the 2go/Hugo getting too warm, somebody on another site recommended this piece of supporting kit as a remedy. He says it stops the 2go/Hugo2 overheating. Have ordered and will report back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=B07B94RYZ4&tag=headphonesu03-21&ref=nb_sb_noss

This link is not working for some reason - if you search " Tincogo (2 Pack) Adjustable Iron Display Stand Easel Foldable Tablet" once you are on Amazon this will find it.

Can’t believe a device like this still has only 2ghz WiFi. Really a 1k piece of kit for a 2k DAC relying on such old and unreliable tech. My £200 dap has 5ghz and thank god as like others 2ghz in my area is saturated and useless for streaming anything reliably.

Can’t believe a device like this still has only 2ghz WiFi. Really a 1k piece of kit for a 2k DAC relying on such old and unreliable tech. My £200 dap has 5ghz and thank god as like others 2ghz in my area is saturated and useless for streaming anything reliably.

Apparently, that was a deliberate decision. From John Franks, President/CEO of Chord:

5 GHz WiFi does not penetrate concrete walls such as those in apartments or have the distance capabilities that 2.4GHz WiFi does! It is not an omission in the design it is a reasoned logical choice that or team made.

from: Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread | Page 25 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Just got Hugo 2 + 2go as my listening-to-Roon-while-working-in-the-garden device, with ZMF Verité closed headphones. Good sound quality bump over the (non-Roon) A&ultima SP1000m that was my outdoors music source before, enjoying adding a bit of crossfeed. I did get a couple of glitches from some form of interference between my Pixel 3 XL phone and the 2go, which did not totally surprise me because I had a similar problem with SP1000m doing DLNA from my server. I do have a WiFi mesh point (Ubiquiti AmpliFi) pretty close by, but I suspect the phone’s 4G radios may interfere. More diagnostics needed.