Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement

Just don’t dissable it and it should work.

JBL dragged themselves and their customers into it by shipping a Roon Ready device, that isnt. JBL screwed their customers by lying to them.

2 Likes

You are wrong!
Srsly i get the problem and i understand the urge to do something about it and you seriosly have to!
But THIS WAY is wrong. whitelist the models in the process and don’t let a new device in, until it is certified. in that way it is clear for everyone and you don’t offend the users caught in the middle, like me. I can tell you i am ■■■■■■ like hell at roon about this.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget that they know better… they’ve shipped certified devices too. They know how this works.

i am a customer of both and i am ■■■■■■ at roon.
do the math

@Kai_Schmalenbach – calm down… i’m about to make an announcement that should make you less “■■■■■■”.

2 Likes

But you’re fine with JBL chatting ■■■■ about their kit? What else have they lied about with respect to their devices’ performance?

2 Likes

That is a complete mis-representation of what’s happening.

After Sept. 21, even during trial, devices that are not truly ‘Roon Ready’ will not enable.

Somebody was destined to get caught on the border between the trial period and their sign-up.

I’m also wary of long-established companies in the analogue hifi field moving into digital audio. Hardware engineering has been their forté, software engineering is a whole new ballgame, and it often looks like a shotgun marriage…

5 Likes

No i am not fine with any of this, But over here, my only concern is the way, roonlabs is dealing with it. Everything else has to be discussed with jbl elsewhere.

Amen to that.

I expect a remark like this from a COO, which are usually only focused on what’s best for the company. You still don’t get the real issue but you have every right to ignore the impacted users that pay your salary.

It is refreshing to hear a COO be honest and say openly that his priority is what best for the organization and if the users of our product are negatively impacted and lose value or functionality then so be it.

You can never recover lost trust though!

1 Like

But it seems it works on Airplay and Chrome cast which are not impacted , see above …

So it will carry on but no hi res MQA etc

Of course it could also beautifully work on connected to any device with Roon Bridge - even so small as a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

True but another, however small, investment to make it work

It’s what I had to do for my CA CXN v1

This entire debacle seems like a classic case of poor communications between Roon and the manufactures. I would not want to venture a guess who is at fault here, but there is probably enough blame to go around. Hopefully, Danny will announce a solution that facilitates Roon’s need to enforce their Roon Ready licensing agreements while not punishing customers who have paid good money, not only to Roon, but also to the manufacturers.

2 Likes

So this is not true?

1 Like

This whole issue is about trust; trust in the products we buy, and trust in the services we subscribe to.
After all, we are all investing hundreds/thousands of £/$/€ in our audio experience.

I have trust in certain companies. These are the companies that have demonstrated that they ‘mean business’, and are trustworthy IMO.
Hence why I have invested in Linn, Lumin, Esoteric and Chord. They deliver. Period. (Apart from Chord’s 2go!!)

And so does Roon - IMO it delivers, and is trustworthy. Roon does not advertise false claims, and provides what it claims. This is just like the other companies I have ‘invested’ in. This is unlike certain other companies that claim their products are ‘Roon Ready’, but aren’t.

Maybe that’s why I’ve had such a great Roon experience over the last couple of years? :thinking:

I think Roon are making the right move. They need to guarantee user-experience and quality. And that’s what they’re doing with this move.

18 Likes

Disclaimer upfront: I do commercial Roon Ready implementations, so clearly I’m not subjective in the matter.

While I understand some people being upset, I think you need to address the device vendor and not Roon. The made announcement is certainly not new to device vendors (it is very clearly stated in the certification documentation for a long time) and the process itself is also very clear. And yes, Roon keeps partners to high standards wrt to certifcation requirements.

But there is nothing ‘random’ about the process and the requirements itself: if a device does not meet the certification requirements there’s a detailed report what is missing or needs to be changed. And the Roon team responsible for certifications is very supportive and responsive: obviously Roon also benefits from a Roon Ready certified device.

So what I’m trying to say is this: there is really no valid reason for a hardware vendor to be in this situation. Roon being strict about this is beneficial to Roon customers in the first place and it’s certainly not something they made up over the last months.

27 Likes

Hello spockfish i do enjoy your Ropieee on two devices. It is a really nice Software and does the job very well, thank you for that.
I understand what you are saying and you are mostly right, but you are missing a little point in between,
No one of the Customers over here, who will be affected is to blame for any off that and roonlabs “flipping the switch” will affect them for nothing they have done wrong and so, NO, there is no way, THIS soution is the right solution.
There simply has to be a better way.

2 Likes