Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement

We are seeing some confusion on the recent announcement about uncertified Roon Ready devices and September 21.

First and foremost

If you are currently playing to ANY device successfully, you WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO THAT DEVICE ON SEPTEMBER 21.

So, what happens on September 21st?

Well, before we talk about what happens, let’s confirm if you have an affected device. You can verify if you have an affected device by visiting Sidebar > Settings > Audio, and checking if you have a pink UNCERTIFIED banner that looks like this:

If you do not see this pink banner, you are not going to be affected. Enjoy the music!

If you do see the pink banner, you will no longer be allowed to “enable” that device after September 21st. This change will only affect newly installed Roon Cores, and any database resets. If the device is already “enabled” before September 21st, you will be unaffected.

If you have an uncertified device… now what?

First, DO NOT DISABLE IT or reset your Roon database. Disabling it will result in not being able to enable it again until the device is certified.

Next, reach out to your device’s manufacturer and ask how you will be notified when a properly certified Roon Ready firmware will be available for your device.

If your device is not certified, it most likely has issues that affect its performance, reliability, and/or overall experience. If you’ve not experienced any problems, then consider yourself lucky. Still, we certify devices across a much broader range of networks, audio formats, and use cases than any single person will use. This is the reason why the Roon Ready certification exists.

Why is this happening? I thought I was safe with Roon Ready.

The Roon Ready program, the RAAT networking protocol, and the certification process is all about creating trust.

The Roon Ready program and the RAAT protocol allows manufacturers to add audiophile-focused network streaming to their devices without sacrificing simplicity and reliability.

The certification program exists so that you can trust that the devices will work perfectly when they get to your house. During certification, we often find bugs that undermine the sound quality, networking reliability, and status of the current device (signal path and transport stuff).

A device that is “uncertified Roon Ready” means that it is in the process of becoming “Roon Ready certified”, but has not yet completed the testing and certification process.

Uncertified devices are not meant to be sold to the public, but instead only used by the manufacturers’ development teams.

Not every manufacturer obeys the rules, thus breaking the trust the program intends to create. If you bought an uncertified device, it means the manufacturer violated the trust we wanted to create and have violated the Roon Ready license terms. We currently call out those development devices with a pink banner, as you can see above, in hopes that no user is fooled into purchasing “beta” hardware.

We’ve been trying to get manufacturers to fix this issue for over two years and for every one that fixes the situation, two more break the rules. We had to draw the line somewhere, and September 21st is where we drew it. I guess this is just a side effect given the success of the program.

Every audio device manufacturer affected knows what’s going on and has chosen to prioritize other tasks over getting appropriately certified. We are shutting down this bad behavior before it gets out of control.

The good news is that 90% of the offending manufacturers have recently submitted new firmware or made other movements in their certification process. Many already had been certified, but the users need to be contacted to get new firmware (with bugfixes) for their devices.

19 Likes

As we say in my country — “Más claro no canta un gallo”…

4 Likes

Makes sense to me.

According to @brian this was not a blame and shame operation… I guess it’s not, unless you are Chord, right?

1 Like

There are a handful of devices that people are pubically talking about already. We aren’t going to list them all, but we’ve shown you how to figure out if you are affected.

That image above is actually something @AndersVinberg posted that I lifted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries, I’m a glass half full kind of guy and I see this incident as an oportunity to get a better device :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the clarification, @brian. All the best.

1 Like

It was @danny who posted the clarification above… Anyway, kudos to all the team!

1 Like

Please clarify this statement - “If you are currently playing to ANY device successfully, you WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO THAT DEVICE ON SEPTEMBER 21.” I have a Roon Ready Uncertified device (Bricasti M3). So are you saying I can disable and reenable it after September 21st and it will still work on my current iMac Roon server? I can install Roon (which is my plan) on a new NUC and remove it from my iMac and still be able to use the new NUC Roon server and enable the Bricasti M3 on this new Roon NUC server?

If the equipment is working fine in Roon, and advertised as Roon Ready there should be no impediment to certified compliance. Just because it works in one situation does not mean it will work in all situations, thus the need of the certification associated with the Roon Ready moniker.

If a manufacturer does not want to be subjected to the certification process there is no obligation to sign the agreement, and advertise Roon Ready. It really comes down to a quality issue. I work with calibration we go through great pains to be certified through an accrediting body (great pains). Eighty percent of our customers do not want to pay the fee associated with an accredited calibration. However, if we were not accredited we would loose probably seventy percent of our customers. Those who get non-accredited calibrations know we live up to a high standard, and are capable. Those that need to be 100% sure it is what it says it is, and might have to prove it pay for the accredited calibration. I believe it’s the same for Roon and their levels of certification.

2 Likes

Danny, why doesn’t a change of this scope get emailed to all subscribers? Having to discover this is the forum seems… indifferent on Roon’s part.

4 Likes

We emailed everyone affected.

6 Likes

@danny. Just to clarify. If I’m not seeing a pink “uncertified “ sign next to my devices I’m good to go?

Sounds like a good thing? If you’re going to have standards you need to enforce them. Otherwise, what’s the point?

I just hope roon is big enough and important enough to drop the big hammer and make anyone notice.

Also, hope they are talking to Denon+Marantz for the masses.

I’m impressed you pulled all the user data to determine who will be affected… But you have no way of knowing what might use in the next two weeks. I guess my question should have been worded “Why not notify everyone by email?”.

You don’t need to answer. I read your response.

1 Like

Not to pile on, but how did you know who would be affected?

2 Likes

Danny, I just pinged one of the members in my Roon User group. Please see the attached screenshot.image

Does this apply to networked devices only?

For example, my Core is on a sonicTransporter i9. I have an iMac in my home office that is connected to a Schiit Bifrost DAC via USB. That DAC’s USB interface is listed as an “Unidentified Device”. It’s not pink. So, will that Bifrost DAC continue to work fine? Would any DAC connected to the iMac via USB work fine?

1 Like

They have submitted stuff to us, and I’m hoping they will be certified soon, but I can’t promise anything.

No, you can not do that. However if you take a backup of your roon database on the Mac and restore it on RoonOS, you will be able to migrate the current state. You can avoid all this by upgrading to RoonOS before Sept 21.

Exactly!

Hard to say… But if we don’t enforce it, it’ll undermine the program’s trust and that’ll result in failure.

Correct.

It only applies to uncertified Roon Ready devices. There are networked devices affected and networked devices that are unaffected. It has nothing to do with networking.

The certification check happens on our cloud services since the configuration is pulled from there. It’s how we can certify devices without software updates.

4 Likes

So this only affects the endpoint side of things yes?