Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement

A post was split to a new topic: Dirac vs Roon Ready

Iā€™m not sure I understand @Mark_Hyland ā€¦ what is the alternative?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Email Notifications From Roon

Okā€¦how about answering the question about DACs connected to an iMac acting as a zone?

1 Like

Not effected they are not uncertified Roon Ready.

Imagine how successful Roon could be if they had someone to handle PR professionally, effectively and communicative(ly).

5 Likes

What happens if a user needs to rebuild a Roon database, and is running some un-certified endpoints.
This would mean they would need to buy new hardware!

This makes absolutely no sense for customers who have supported Roon early.

This may force many to leave the software, or spend money on new products they simply donā€™t need.

This is a similar line of thinking to Sonos when they decided they would no longer support older products. We all know how that ended for them!

Is there a list of certified products? What about community dev products/software solutions?
Does this impact DACs or output devices connected to Roon PC outputs?

2 Likes

There are probably Roon customers who have recently ordered devices that are sold as Roon Ready, but not yet certified. Roon would not be aware of these people and they will be in for a huge surprise come Sept 21.

2 Likes

Ok, thats smart.

There might be a few of these cases. Unfortunately more now than there were a year ago, but fortunately there are fewer today than there would be next year had we not put our foot down on this bad behavior.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Iā€™m not questioning the need to solve the problem. Iā€™m questioning the way it was solved. Again, no customers should be put in the middle of this, IMHO.

Iā€™m not in a position to know how else it could have been handled, but, for instance, these devices could have been downgraded to a Roon tested status or something that allows them to continue to work and be reenabled if necessary, while withdrawing the Roon Ready license from the offending manufactures.

Whatever the possible solutions, business wise and technologically feasible, no paid Roon customer should have a device stop working with Roon, as it currently does, because of this. At least, create a way for these devices to be reenabled if they need to be.

10 Likes

When under 1% of the users are affected, you do not mail the other 99.x%

6 Likes

This puts more emphasis on other protocols. Airplay will always be supported by hardware as long as apple supports it. If I were a hardware developer, Iā€™d certainly be putting the bulk of my development effort into the protocols that are covered by the widest range of users. That was and is Airplay and Chromecast. This may have a chilling effect on new hardware and the roon certification process.

As long as roon supports airplay and can spit out bit perfect redbook audio to airplay endpoints, Iā€™m ok.

Hereā€™s the authoritative list of Roon Certified devices:

Of course not. DACs or even integrated devices, if connected directly to a digital port (USB, S/PDIF, HDMI) of the Roon core device, are nor affected. Nor DACs connected to another device running the Roon bridge component (e.g., a RPi with RoPieee). So, if you install ROON on any PC/Mac and connect a DAC to this PC/Mac, it will continue working as before.

This is about devices (streaming DACs, network players) having initiated the Roon certification process, which involves integrating in their firmware Roon components, without completing this certification process. These devices usually would be connected via Ethernet. By completing the necessary review and testing process which is part of the certification, the makers of these affected devices can assure that their products are compliant and that their clients wonā€™t experience problems using those devices with Roon.

3 Likes

I call BS on that. You could have extended the notification timeline to allow more time so as to ensure end users arenā€™t left holding the bag. Roonā€™s self serving announcement doesnā€™t equate to being customer focused. Who pays your COO salary? The subscribers or the audio hardware people?

This was a poorly communicated announcement that only seemed to have served Roonā€™s self interests and was a slap in the face to Roon users that may be left with audio devices that donā€™t work.

Because you didnā€™t enforce your own internal processes with the manufacturers why are the users the ones that might suffer? The NAD M10 certification issue has been going on for over two and a half years and Roon did nothing but say we donā€™t discuss certification issues.

Sit back and pat yourself on the back for the 2.5 years of kicking the certification can down the road and giving the finger to potentially impacted users. Bravo for a lack of leadership!

How can a COO keep his job in this environment?

6 Likes

I agree with this sentiment.
The period of time could have been longer, in the interest of the consumer.

I understand it only impacts 1% of users, but if you were in that 1%, you would not be happy.

I totally get Roon need to control their eco system.
The software is amazing, and they have to draw the line somewhere.
But the notification period could have been 6 months for instance.

2 Likes

@danny

Thanks for the clarification above. I have already contacted the manufacturer as I have one endpoint that will be affected. Can you please mention whether the Playback Designs Stream IF is in the process already?

Thanks

As an example, suppose you are a Roon customer who was on an annual subscription for one or more years. You upgraded your sound system to take advantage of the sound quality available to you and finally, you took the plunge and purchased one of the subject devices for a few thousand US$. Then, having missed the $500 lifetime subscription, you bit the bullet and recently paid $700 for lifetime. Now, today, you find out your new device will stop working with Roon 9/21 if it ever needs to be reenabled, and it will. If one customer is in this situation, this is unacceptable IMHO. No customer focused company would allow this to happen. There has got to be a better way.

5 Likes

I assume community DEV products like Ropieee etc are also safe?