Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement

Yes they are… RoPieee is really nothing more than prepackaged Roon Bridge software. A DAC would connect to a device with RoPiee via USB, or if a HAT is used, any other supported digital interface.

3 Likes

Ropieee is unaffected.

1 Like

Apple (AirPlay) and Google (Chromecast) do not allow manufacturers to ship uncertified implementations of their protocols, period. They also charge manufactures to certify and test each device.

In contrast, Roon does not charge manufactures for Roon Ready certification.

Roon Ready was the outlier by allowing uncertified implementations to be shipped to end users. Some manufacturers chose to take advantage of this fact—with full knowledge that it was not its intended use—to not complete Roon Ready certification, causing all sorts of issues in support, marketing, and product.

-John

5 Likes

Agree.
So, from previous posts, it seems Roon can look at which users have “uncertified” hardware. Scary enough, but if that’s possible, why can’t they extend the functionality for those users until the end of their current contract. For lifetime members, something else would have to be figured out, perhaps some sort of prorated adjustment, I’m not sure.

Then, those affected (myself included) can make the decision to upgrade hardware and continue with Roon (cuzz it is good software) or move on. This would be a more customer focused attitude.

4 Likes

i have a NAD C658 which is still not Roon certified but it’s working ok.

I never received an email concerning this.

So if I undertand correctly i need to make a Roon Database backup before the 21th september and after that date I don’t make any backup because if I restore a backup after the 21 my NAD will not work anymore ?

i’m a lifetime subscriber less than 1 year and now i get this ! This is alot of pressure on manufacturer and looks lie Roon is somehow blaming other company and throwing the ball on their side now,

I have a NAD to name it and they have their own software so i really doubt they will make the C658 certified with Roon.

Roon at least give me the option to accept that my hardware is not fully certified and I can live with it. But don’t penalize your customer because they bought a product that was advertise as Roon ready and they never get the certification.

I am the one who get penalize here and it’s not my fault !

2 Likes

This is nearly complete. I’m sure you will be fine by Sept 21. The M10 as well.

You’d be wrong. They are almost done.

6 Likes

Good stuff, my CXN V2 is good to go.
popcorn

4 Likes

Yeah, agree with that.

It’s one thing to look at connected devices so that the software can set up a default for the device.

It’s another thing to phone home so that e-mail can be sent out.

1 Like

Cambridge Audio is a good partner with a great QA team.

1 Like

How this is going to be certified ? Nad need to make a firmware update on their side ?

Innuos Zenith MK3?

1 Like

Is there any info on Playback Designs devices? I asked again above but seems my question was missed.

Thanks.

As an owner of Chord poly and 2go, I can understand Roon’s frustration with Chord. I also appreciate that Roon wants the “Roon Ready” to assure a certain level of quality. However, effectively crippling the 2go until Roon and Chord work out the issues makes no sense. I understand that the 2go will continue to work after 9/21 as long as no unforeseen glitches require a re-enable. Why can’t you just strip the 2go of the “Roon Ready” label and allow it to function as normal? I appreciate you are asserting control of the quality of the Roon experience, but this decision just hurts your customers.

6 Likes

No issues with any Innuos devices. Confirmed like several times from Dylan and Danny.

1 Like

It seems that the ‘Roon Ready’ label has been used by Chord without completing the required certification process. It has been usurped, so to speak. What I think Roon’s legal adviser should at least do is move to have that false attribution removed from Chord’s website, until the certification process has been successfully completed. To this moment Chord advertises the 2Go as a Roon Ready device.

We are looking into a solution that will a) grandfather existing affected users (but deny them technical support), b) not allow these rogue manufacturers to gain new customers with uncertified products.

Will let you all know tomorrow.

10 Likes

Now you’re talking. That would be great.

Thanks. It certainly works fine currently, however Innuos doesn’t appear in the RoonLabs “partners” list, thus my concern.

I agree. Chord needs to stop advertising the “Roon Ready” label for the 2go until they have the details worked out. However, this is not an issue that needs to be passed on to the consumer.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I wish the collective 2go community had the power to help get Chord to do what needs to happen, but we don’t.