Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement

Other than Danny and Dylan repeatedly stating specifically “Innuos is NOT affected “ Innuos never claimed they are “Roon Ready” in any of their materials. Think of Innuos as falling under “bridge” category as classified by Roon.

1 Like

At the moment I am not happy with the decison made by Roon and i’m in the 1% of people concerned but the 1% could be thousands of people. I just paid a lifetime subscription 9 months ago.

If my hardware stop working with Roon after the 21 you will be sure I will ask for a refund.

What wrong with my message about wanting to be refund if ROON stop to make my hardware working because of certification war.

Let’s be fair here and leave my message on the forum because I am not offending anyone and just expressing my concern as a Roon customer who paid to support Roon.

3 Likes

You guys haven’t read the terms and conditions carefully, I think. Roon not only knows what you have, but where it is. I guess so that they can distinguish your Malibu beach house from your ranch in Montana from your penthouse in Manhattan.

2 Likes

At what stage do you ‘name and shame’ those offenders? There appear to be some clear areas of ‘friction’ between Roon and some manufacturers – but the end user has no concept of which come under your ‘no intent, bad actor’ category and which are legitimate WIP.

Unfortunately the silence is deafening on some of these (miniDSP, NAD as examples) and there is a point at which users need to know so they can make a conscious decision on how to move forward under your announced regime.

2 Likes

Here’s the elephant-in-the-room that the tar-and-feathers brigade has been not seeing or ignoring. Roon Labs is not a big player, unlike Apple or Google. Any vendor who claimed Airplay or Chromecast compatibility without going through the proper (paid) certification would be hit by the best contract and IP lawyers in the Bay Area and that would be the end of it (I work with some of those lawyers, you don’t want to be on their wrong side). Roon Labs cannot and should not be spending what we pay them on lawyers. Some vendors were just abusing Roon Labs, probably calculating that such a small player could not fight back. But Roon Labs found a clunky but effective way of asserting their rightful contractual and IP rights. As a frustrated Chord customer, I say Way to Go!. Maybe finally Chord will make good on their streaming promises rather than spewing corporate pablum on forums.

25 Likes

@danny Any word on the certification status of the new Arcam or JBL synthesis AVR/AVP’s?

Unfortunately due to the general instability of the Arcam/JBL firmware a system reset is inevitably required once every couple of weeks - Requiring the device to be re enabled in Roon.

With the announced Roon policy, my brand new Arcam processor will inevitably be locked out of Roon in short order. Given the frequency of resets/firmware upgrades, having to constantly restore from a golden copy of a Roon backup is not too practical or sustainable.

2 Likes

Guess what, Chord already passed it onto the consumer with their misleading advertising, which cost me (and others) $Nk. Let me bring you gently to the contract and IP world: Roon Labs is under no obligation to allow pirated software to interconnect with their licensed server software. You don’t own Roon software, you license it. Any more than Microsoft would be under any obligation to allow pirated Microsoft apps to interoperate with your licensed Windows installation. The fact that Roon Labs is a tiny fraction of Microsoft’s size doesn’t mean that their rights are any less.

13 Likes

I agree…

Oh Great! I just bought a new Arcam SA 30 and a years subscription to Roon. I was about to buy a Roon Nucleus. I just consigned my trusty, never broke, always played Convergent Audio Technology Ultimate preamp. And now my new less than a month old Arcam SA 30 could be bricked for the main dam reason I bought it. Roon and network control of my library. Geez, I feel very stupid. Just can’t beat analog. I will spin vinyl and play tape. Thanks.

Ken

2 Likes

You are Like me part of the 1% of customer according to Roon.

Welcome aboard !

1 Like

Still pondering why users here are turning on Roon while it’s some manufacturers that made untrue claims about their products? In what world is Roon responsible for the lies of someone else?

24 Likes

I’m not a canadian law expert, but i presume while the government faces plenty of restrictions about limiting freedom of speech, a private company which runs their own forum software (and presumably has you agree to terms and conditions when you sign up) can do so whenever they please (and appropriately so).

So go ahead and express yourself. That doesn’t mean that Roon has to listen to you or preserve your message on the forum. Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you’re entitled to an audience, and that you are absolved of any consequences of your speech.

12 Likes

100% this. I’m rather baffled m’self.

7 Likes

because I just gave them good money for a years subscription and now I am reloading Audirvana … All they had to do is tell me during the trial phase that my new Arcam SA 30 was crap and not to buy their software because they don’t want to play with Arcam right now. Using the customer to force a British audio maker to play nice with them is not what I am interested in. And another thing, The Arcam SA 30 is working like a dream. I plan to call my dealer in the morning and see if I can return the Arcam. And then see if I can get my Cat preamp back before its sold. I was hoping computer audio had matured beyond this crap.
Ken

3 Likes

You have a good point here but the problem here is my hardware is working but not certified.

So why after the 21 it will not work anymore ? Who should i blame here ?

Nad because they never certified but it’s still working or Roon to make my hardware not working because Nad don’t make the C658 certified?

Roon is working and also the Nad so it’s Roon that will make my hardware not working anymore after the 21.

2 Likes

Kenneth, have you checked in Sidebar → Setup → Audio to see if your Arcam really is marked as a not certified device? I ask this because Arcam on their website don’t claim it to be ‘Roon Certified’. They say it works as Roon endpoint… there is a subtle difference. So, let’s make sure that your device really is affected before returning it to the vendor.

2 Likes

It appears under the heading of Roon Ready. Then at the bottom of the box it says in magenta with triangle with exclamation UNCERTIFIED. but it works perfectly. But my google Chrome Cast devices do not. So I was planning to buy a Nucleus or a Nuc and do a total makeover and see if I can get everything working smoothly . The Arcam has been one very stable piece of the puzzle. But having a $3k brick hanging over my head if the core has to be rebuilt is a bit much. I just bought it. If I had been warned by anyone, dealer, Arcam, Roon, that the Roon part of the SA 30 is questionable, I would not have bought it. And I would not have bought the Roon subscription at this point. I would have waited. I was in a good place with my Cat preamp. Ken

Roon was trying to tell you this by showing the (at least to me) obvious pink ‘uncertified’ label underneath the device. And I assume it was also not listed as Roon Ready on Roon’s website.

That being said, you didn’t seem to have picked up on that (which is understandable, but Roon is hardly to blame for that). Now they are making it much more clear by simply blocking it altogether.

As a consumer, you can check with your local authorities whether you’re entitled to a refund if a company, in this case Arcam, makes an untrue claim about their product.

3 Likes

Totally understand. And I can only imagine how annoying that must be. However, I can only assume there is a specific reason for it not being certified yet. One reason could be that it some aspects may not work, or it may not work in certain environments. While it may work for you, it may not work for others. And that’s what Roon Ready certification is all about: making sure that it will work under broader circumstances.

4 Likes

Hmm… still, let’s keep in mind that @danny from Roon has announced tonight that they are looking into an option to not block uncertified devices from functioning after September 21. Whatever they come up with we will know tomorrow.

And, if your device is working smoothly as you say, then it should be conceivably possible for Arcam to complete the certification process in the near future.

1 Like