Unhappy with Build 923, want to revert to Build 918

@DaveN I may have been doing it wrong all this time then. Ooops.

Also, spikes up or spikes down?

Still waiting for this -

I guess you guys have screwed the poodle on that. :laughing:

1 Like

I think it depends on which hedgehog elevator you use. For example, I have the Shunyata Research Dark Field Hedgehog Elevator, pictured below, so it’s obviously ‘spikes up’ or the hedgehog would fall off.

3 Likes

Definitely been doing it wrong then. I have been sort of forcing the spikes into the the Dark field, so upside down, and I balanced four seismic disks on the feet/paws.

1 Like

Are you sure you are not thinking of Terry Pratchett Discworld here?:thinking:

Anyways let’s try and stay with a semblance of on topic posts if possible guy’s.
Many thanks :+1:

3 Likes

Sir, have you ever heard of psychoacoustics? Your hearing will follow your state of mind. That‘s all to it. Have a nice meal and a good sh*t and everything will sound like heaven. :grin:

3 Likes

Mine must be mental….

2 Likes

Yeah, right. Translate „Gemütszustand“ :wink:

Gotcha. Should read „emotional state“…

1 Like

Wow there are a lot of meanies on this forum.

Instead of mocking the poster, why did no-one suggest the usual troubleshooting tips like:
reboot your computer and client
check to make sure your EQ wasn’t inadvertently enabled/disabled by the upgrade
remove and re-add your audio output device in Roon
reboot your network router

and so on.

It’s possible something changed, maybe not in the Roon code itself, but in his audio device settings, perhaps with an EQ customization that has changed, maybe a DAC driver support that was added or updated, maybe his Roon Core is short of RAM or CPU and needs an upgrade, or something else.

I don’t think all that mockery and sarcasm was very helpful. Most of it was just plain rude.

4 Likes

Anyone confident enough to claim a change in SQ due to a Roon release should know to do all the things you mention beforehand. It is unlikely to be the first time they have had to switch everything off then on again if they have the ubiquitous ‘highly resolving system’.
If you follow all the accusations of ‘Roon SQ has changed with the new release’, then you’ll see that Roon SQ has been getting both worse and better (simultaneously) with every release, depending upon who you believe, so which is it? Which of the two camps are we supposed to take seriously?

5 Likes

One does not simply restart an Audiophile Reference System. :mage:

13 Likes

Not true. As a long time frequenter of this forum, I can say that this is one of the most welcoming HiFi forums on the net.

The above is what sets people off. First, because it is subtlety insulting and, secondly, it is BS (at least, in the case of Roon version changes that have nothing to do with SQ) that is too frequently invoked, along with statements like these -

6 Likes

As @jamie says higher up in this thread, “Presuming to know the intent of others is risky; generally, assumptions say much more about the person speaking than those who are spoken about.” Forums like this work best when one assumes all participants are posting in a spirit of helpful collegiality, even when it’s obvious they aren’t.

5 Likes

It’s amazing how much faith we put in our perception of things. Our brains are by no means reliable observation or recording machines. I sometimes forget the ‘second’ signal path starting at the outer ear and going through the enormous electro-chemical network in the brain, where information is processed by different brain areas, before arriving at the frontal cortex where the subjective experience takes place. The signal by then has dealt with so much ‘noise’, that the experience of similarity is nothing more than an illusion.
We experience ourselves as a continuous entity, but we are in fact constantly changing and never the same. I would go as far as to say: you cannot listen to the same piece of music twice with the same set of ‘ears’.

Still, subjective experience is of course king and rules over your hifi needs. For an audiophile that might mean you need to ‘upgrade’ to find that sound you like again. Isn’t that continuous search, with intervals of temporary hifi satisfaction, a part of being an audiophile?

3 Likes

I’m getting a lamb ready for the slaughter before Build 924 is released :rofl:

4 Likes

@Martin_Kelly , no wonder you are experiencing a loss of SQ, lambs are for analog devices, it’s robots, like Wall-E for digital :nerd_face:

1 Like

Bugger, I’m vegetarian or I’d join the party :joy:

4 Likes

All is not lost :wink:

1 Like

He is sacrificing the lamb…you don’t eat the offering…

2 Likes

Please forward the secret handshake. I’m an audiophile since 1967 and am losing my hearing. The hand shake thing seems like its worth a try. Thanks.

1 Like