Unidentified albums - New albums - download

@Torben did you check manually if these albums are completely unknown and unidentifiable in roon? I mean by using the ´Edit > Identify Album > None of these look right´ option on the album´s page

As StereoJo mentioned there are some albums which are completely unknown to any database roon is using. So adding them manually to MusicBrainz is an option.

On the other hand I experienced a lot of cases roon could not identify a new album although it was listed. It seems that different album versions (CD rip, Digital download, DVD-Audio rip, reissues etc.) having a different order of tracks or slightly different duration of tracks cause roon not to identify the correct metadata automatically as it is detecting contradictions. In this case having it identified manually by typing in artist and album title would do the job.

Strangely I experienced some albums being identified as Qobuz version correctly but shown as completely unknown when stored locally.

1 Like

If I compare Dieter Ilg “Bass” that I bought as download:

with:

that have 12 tracks, there is a mismatch compared to my download that have only 9 tracks.

Same goes for:

Torben

This is because I entered the album with the title number as it is offered on Apple Music, Deezer and Spotify. The album, like the CD, has 12 tracks. It looks like you have the DSD version of Native DSD. This only has 9 titles. The order is different, as are the track lengths.

I have now entered this version of the album into the MusicBrainz database. I took the track lengths from your screenshot, so they correspond to reality. The lengths stated on the booklet sometimes differ considerably.

(If you’re lucky) the album should now also be found on Roon within a few days. If not, it’s Roon’s fault and not my fault. :wink:

1 Like

Wow :slight_smile: THX Josef

Have a great WE

Torben

1 Like

Roon does not have any connection to Discogs (or the Qobuz database if one is not connected to Qobuz), does it?

In my core collection of approx. 60K tracks I found 60 albums being unidentified and no trick would do the job. Two examples:

That one was issued by Decca, a pretty major label and is even listed on Discogs providing full metadata:

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/10119423

Another example by classical label CPO usually providing a ton of metadata themselves.

For the rest I would rather assume that the labels - mainly classical Indies - are too obscure to provide metadata and the albums are not really widespread enough to expect any of the few owners to upload their data to MusicBrainz or Discogs.

There are several open feature suggestions for Discogs integration.

This is probably the one with most existing votes, you can add yours

A long time ago this was mentioned, not sure what happened to it:

That is correct. As far as I know, Roon only refers to the MusicBrainz or Allmusic databases.

I am lucky :slight_smile: Great work - THX Josef

Torben

I think you are right Josef.

I just checked another album that is unidentified:

This album is on Qobuz (same tracks, length etc.):

But seems not to be on MusicBrainz or Allmusic.

Torben

Now it is on MusicBrainz. And now is also a good time to familiarize yourself with working as a MusicBrainz editor :smile:

As mentioned above, create an account and familiarize yourself with the style guidelines. And begin… Learning by doing.
A tip for starters: When you enter an album, at the end of the process check the checkbox: Make all edits votable. This puts you (voluntarily) under the control of experienced editors who will point out any errors. Often friendly, sometimes also rude. But this approach increases the learning curve enormously. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.