Unpopular Musical Opinions - Let's Have Them!

Sure. I think the Beatles are awful. Can’t stand them. I have no idea why anyone buys their records. Likewise every rap and hip hop record ever made should be collected and destroyed forever.

I also think classical is mostly dull and opera in particular is spectacularly tedious.

I’ll get my coat.

1 Like

We were mostly young foolish and impressionable, not to mention peer pressure

The real question is why do we keep buying them, CD, Deluxe editions etc :sunglasses:

Don’t much care for Pink Floyd. A couple of OK songs, but they mostly sound like a slow, plodding marching band with guitars to me.

What if you like the musicians and music, but the vocalist …
Always skipping Tindersticks for that reason.
Do not like Bob Dylan for that reason to …

Jazz, R&B, a lot of hip hop … skip skip skip
Metal, Indie etc. bring it on :smiley:

Hey, don’t hold back! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For me, I struggle with Jazz yet enjoy, for example, Bitches Brew or jazz influenced Rock/ Pop. Metal, Emo, screaming etc. doesn’t do it for me either but that may be more to do with overexposure when my son was a teenager.

Generally, I can’t get into Neil Young and there’s so much else to listen to that I can’t be bothered to commit time to work through his catalogue.

Tom Waits is great. You have to get in character though and open a bottle of whiskey.

Tom Waits can say more in a sentence than I can say in a page. Scotch works too.

I’m happy for the discourse. I would like to know why The Beatles are awful.

Admittedly, their early catalogue was very of-the-time boy band and did suck. But from Rubber Soul onwards…

Without them, where might we be? Or not be… .

27 posts and counting and no mention of Frank Zappa. Disappointed!

And why do so many people go crazy for Taylor Swift? Can someone point me to anything by her worth a second listen (let alone a first listen)?

Then here are the musical lightweights given new life and way overblown importance by a popular bio picture. For example the very third rate Queen. Pompous and very unoriginal (see anything by The Move) bombast that got pulled out the history’s garbage by an okay movie.

@Ralph_Pantuso I could debate either side of any of your premises, and I’d bet that we would both make very good arguments.

But, if you are saying Frank Zappa was overrated I must object!

I have a long history (50 years or so?) of listening to Frank Zappa, starting with, I think, Freak Out.

Yes, some (many? most?) of his albums could be written off as comedy or novelty acts.

But that was exactly his point!

On the other hand, he was a troubled musical genius. As a composer, arranger, innovator and producer. And also a pretty good guitar player.

My favorite album that brings all his genius attributes together with a minimum of performance art silliness is Waka Jawaka. Hot Rats isn’t too shabby, either.

Now, if your implication was that Frank Zappa was UNDERappreciated, then please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding, and I would heartily agree.

1 Like

Buddy Holly was better than Elvis.

3 Likes

My Dad would agree :joy:

Calling me old? giggle

1 Like

Well I can’t comment on that, but my Dad is 78 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have a sentimental attachment to Queen that predates the biopic by 35 years or so. With the exception of Hot Space (which still has a couple of moments), I loved all their albums until Kind of Magic when they became even more hammy; I blame Highlander.

Whilst I don’t want to be overly sentimental or unnecessarily introspective, my childhood sucked in more ways than I care to remember; I took much solace in music and some artists became both an escape and an inspiration - Radio Gaga lyric “my only friend through teenage nights” sums them up for me.

I still pull out the earlier albums and play them regularly. I think Liar is a great track, I love Seven Seas of Rhye (and its development between appearing on Queen and then Queen II), Death on Two Legs is a great marker of their split from Trident who allegedly ripped them off, Tie Your Mother Down always has me turning the volume up and Hammer to Fall is probably my favourite track of the lot (The Works gets a regular work-out on the turntable).

The comment on pomposity is very well founded and it was a deliberate ploy; but having seen them live, I get it.

3 Likes

Yeah. I never got Zappa either.

Ditto Grateful Dead - although from everything I’ve read, they were terrible in the studio and utter gods on stage.

Ooh yes Grateful Dead, just don’t get it. Never a really big thing in the UK so perhaps that’s part of it.

Both Madonna and Gaga don’t have a voice to even make it through round 1 of American Idol. There should be laws for lousy singers. And for stupid texts. :slight_smile: :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Obviously you haven’t properly listened to Lady Gaga. There’s some stuff floating around where she sings solo, with her own piano accompaniment, and it turns out she’s an excellent singer (as opposed to Madonna, who’s indeed a bit less excellent…)

2 Likes

And it remains an uninteresting, boring voice. Even if she hits the notes.

I’m a Grateful Dead fan (saw them first time live in December of 1969, and the entire event, not just the music, blew my young mind!). And yes, their live shows (and recordings) are generally vastly superior to their studio work (with the exception of the two 1970 albums, Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty). I think the live stuff is better (particularly 2nd set live stuff) because of the improvisation. Essentially closer to jazz than rock in many ways. The same “songs” can be very very different from, say 1969, to 1971, to 71, 73, to 1989, etc.

3 Likes