Unpopular Musical Opinions - Let's Have Them!

The killlers - Human
Just the text of the chorus alone… :crazy_face:

Are we human or are we dancer?
My sign is vital, my hands are cold
And I’m on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human or are we dancer?

1 Like

I almost was ready for an anger therapy when that **** was played day in and out on the radio.

1 Like

For me: Zappa’s definitely in the second category above (under-appreciated). Either you get him or you don’t…it always amazes me that some people view him as a comedy act while the world’s best musicians view him as a major influence.

As for the Grateful Dead, I’ve always loved them for about an hour of listening, then I get sick of them.

1 Like

That was definitely a factor.

George was the best solo beatle.

6 Likes

Not an opinion, simply fact.

2 Likes

Excellent point. Yep, I didn’t get Zappa as a kid, until I saw him live in the mid 1970s. The live sets released in recent years are amazing, and not because he’s a comedian!

1 Like

Don’t really get jazz.

1 Like

Totally agree. First saw him backpacking through Europe in early 70’s. Bergen, Norway. That’s when I got it.

I played and sang the full version of Hurricane at the school music festival in 1979. The English Lit teacher loved it (he was a huge Dylan fan) but everyone else wanted to flush my head in the toilet. On balance I would have to say that was not an unpopular musical opinion.

2 Likes

I came late to jazz (grew up as a 60s/70s rock guy). I didn’t start getting jazz until I started seeing live jazz (in small clubs with amazing players, such as the Village Vanguard in NYC). I still prefer my jazz live.

I have some jazz. Free and improvised just leave me waiting for them to get back to the tune.

3 Likes

Another who doesn’t get it either, although based on the comment @ElTel I do get that live they are perhaps something completely different and just jam out.

On that note, I don’t get much American ‘classic rock’ of the 70’s or ‘hair’ rock of the 80’s. However, I don’t have that same feeling for British music of similar eras.

That’s not to say there are outliers or particular tracks of certain bands I get, but to generalise…

Here, here…it seems her most recent album has brought her an entire group of fans, no longer the teeny bopper crowd. But, I’m still at a loss.

I largely don’t get it. I think perhaps it’s the one genre I call…Zzzzzz :sleeping:

Yet, I can happily listen to Krautrock a genre that to my ears is closely aligned, but perhaps more eclectic/experimental.

Now with that all said, I can still listen to any of the above at times with friends and so on if that’s what they are into playing. It’s just not what I’d select myself. And similarly, I get to hear lots of metal/death metal etc at my barbers. That’s all the boys play there and it’s awesome at the time, I just don’t really play it at home by choice.

:smile:

1 Like

A death metal barbers. Is that the “we cut with chainsaws” place? :wink:

1 Like

I want to go there.

1 Like

Seems to have been the trend out here for roughly 10 or so years that’s coincided with the Ned Kelly (beard) look, which I’ve noticed has become the look of hipsters the world over.
Ned Kelly (circa 1870’s)
Ned

So, we get old school barbers for blokes. They are the new breed, largely younger, tatt city, metal music, who cut, shear, groom beards and so on. Oh, and most serve alcohol, typically a beer or Scotch for free. I think London’s had them forever (not sure about the alcohol).

My barbers (taken from their FB page) for a long while until I moved North. My son still goes there.
Ratbags.

I know the hipster barbers I just haven’t come across the death metal variety before.

Lmao - seems that’s how they roll out here - must be a uniquely Aussie trend - death metal, beer & the electric sheers, with the finishing touches that belie what’s occurred prior.

These blokes take pride in their work!

I want to go to a barbers that plays the misfits.

1 Like

I don’t want to go to a barbers that plays Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd…

3 Likes