Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

:joy:

This and the eggs and cheese comment made my day.

8 Likes

But a month after that you will have forgotten all about it and then it will feel free :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well said.

For me, I just haven’t found a better solution. I’ve been an annual member for years and it has definitely been worth paying the $120 just for the service of aggregating and managing my different music sources. With the new prices, I look at this as simply paying for 4+ years of service in one shot. I’m skeptical that another service will come along during that time and not only kick Roon off the top of the hill, but be compelling enough to not keep using Roon anyway (given that I’m now a lifer). I see that as a pretty low stakes bet, regardless of how much I’m in like with Roon

3 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Whisk(e)y loving objectivists’ corner

I was going to say something similiar, but I didn’t want to sound elitist, because I’m not. However, if US$2.50 per month makes Roon unaffordable, maybe it was already unaffordable. We all need a little “headroom” in our budget.

I cancelled Netflix and all my premium movie channels to pay for Tidal and Qobuz and crazy amounts of Verizon cellular data.

2 Likes

I’m seriously considering a lifetime purchase. It’s my 50th early next year and my parents have asked me if I’d like anything special. Combining Christmas with a 50th birthday should make a dent in the $699 cost.

12 Likes

The gift that keeps on giving. Do it.

2 Likes

Price from my ISP has actually gone down in 2022 (true story).

Too much alcoholism in my family. I gave up Black Jack Daniels on the rocks years ago. A couple Miller Lite’s a month with a steak does it for me. I’m Irish and Scottish descent.

I’ve checked all the information concerning inflation here in the UK. Apparently I can avoid most of it by:

1. Not using any gas or electricity to heat my home, cook my food, wash my clothes etc.
  2. Not eat or drink anything ever again (apart from water!)

That’s me sorted. :wink:

6 Likes

Call it an investment!

I highly recommend a diet of water and bread and same.

1 Like

Totally true. Espessially considering the lower price for the lifetime subscription untill the end of this year. Suppose you started your yearly subscription two months ago. That will rule out your option to switch to a lifetime subscription before the end of this year, since you’d loose 10 months of money for your yearly subscription. That does not seem fair.

Up above, @AMT described it in a way that helps deal with that dilemma:

We won’t start your lifetime until after your annual is over. But by paying now, you lock in the price at the current price.

I know it’s a bit cheeky, but it helped @AMT

2 Likes

Thanks Danny, very helpful. I will consider a lifetime subscription.

2 Likes

People keep bringing this up, and I understand it, but it’s not a valid reason to forgo lifetime at the lower price. You have already spent the money for one year and you will spend US$699.99 for lifetime. It will seem like you lost 10 months, but you really didn’t. Think about it.

Yes, you could have saved US$119.88 had you switched 2 months ago, but that’s water over the dam or under the bridge or both.

3 Likes

Though I think Danny has it right as a marketer, “as long as I live starting in 10 months” is basically the same as “as long as I live starting now”. But as humans we don’t always feel like economists would like us to about sunk cost. Hence behavioural economics et al.

2 Likes

Maybe we’ll live 10 months longer or Roon will stay afloat 10 month longer??

It’s a bit like “give me $100 and you get something for free”.
If I paid $119 up front for a year 3 weeks ago and now I have to pay $699 more, the lifetime license effectively costs me $818. That’s what’s going out of my account.
Regardless, the lifetime license will cost me even more next year.

1 Like