Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

Again,

Up above, @AMT described it in a way that helps deal with that dilemma:

We won’t start your lifetime until after your annual is over. But by paying now, you lock in the price at the current price.

I know it’s a bit cheeky, but it helped @AMT… maybe it’ll help you come to terms with the upgrade path.

1 Like

10 characters

1 Like

Seems like once the inflation bandwagon gets going, everyone’s going to jump on it. This took me by surprise though.

I suspect a lot of businesses are grabbing a little extra, just in case. Not pointing to anyone in particular because I don’t have the information, but I hear some companies are increasing profits to record levels.

1 Like

I think Roon is right to raise the subscription prices, everyone has to live, including Roon staff.

2 Likes

Happy I have a lifetime love affair with Roon. Loving discovering new music like mad. Appreciate they have to keep the wolves from the door. Excited to see what comes next. Oh Gosh - not complaining bitterly, sorry…

That’s why I didn’t take out a Lifetime when I went yearly. I saw no PayPal option…

That makes it more manageable for me, rather than trying to convince SWMBO to drop the full amount in one go.

1 Like

Hallo Roon, i’m a yearly member. Is there a Black Friday deal on its way for a lifetime membership??

What is the difference with that solution from starting lifetime directly?

1 Like

He still has to pay the annual he committed to. So he pays more than 800, despite having bought lifetime at 699.

In my mind I weighed this up. I was going to go Lifetime next year anyway (if it was a choice) and by paying via PayPal has allowed me to pay incrementally over a period of time I choose.

Danny might, might allow annual users to pay in this way if users want to spread the costs. He would need to express his views on this as I cannot speak for Roon.

My experience with Roon, interactions on this forum and communications between the Roon Team and myself have been amazing. I’ve had no major issues with Roons stability or anything to criticize. Only one bug and I thinks it’s iOS related than Roon.

We pay for what we are willing to pay for (hope that makes sense).

Based on a previous post, moved to a different thread, the new price of the annual subscription will be just over 8¢ a day more than it is now. If I were to have remained an annual subscriber I would have skipped a chocolate bar on Mondays (nearly £1 in the UK) and that’d pay for 12 days.

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

The laugh this gave me makes the whole price increase thing worthwhile.

2 Likes

No there isn’t.

I tried roon a couple of times over the past few years, never getting the hang of it.
Some months ago I gave it another try, and with the help of this forum managed to make it work and gain a better understanding.

I had just convinced myself that this was worth spending another 10 bucks monthly, on top of Youtube Premium, Tidal, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+ and a TV subscription.

I’m afraid this is where it ends for me, though. My heating cost (oil) went up 300% this year, electricity is going through the roof, and health insurance also just added another 200 per month.

The only way to save this would be a $499 offer on Black Friday, probably :wink:

3 Likes

Whilst not happy about any price increase, the world is getting more expensive and not much can be done. Roons costs will have gone up as will all its staffs day to day living expenses. In 7 years there has not been a price increase for the yearly sub and I have benefited from this and the more favourable uk exchange rate. The favour is now turned the other way and yes it bites. 25% seems a large increase and it is however much you try to dress it up. If you value what Roon brings you will pay it if you don’t you want it’s everyone’s choice to decide what’s more important to them.

I just hope some of this price rise will go in to building a better support infrastructure as currently it quite frankly doesn’t meet the standards most users expect for a paid service and and continues to be a bugbear for users still relying too heavily on the community to help out.

It’s was mentioned nearly two years ago the lack of support and I remember Danny say it was going to change and improve well it’s hasn’t really. It continues to be the same if not worse due to the faster release schedules.

Before any major release there is a pattern to be seen support vanishes and so many threads go unanswered. After the release support are then swamped and it seems they can’t cope. again too many threads go unanswered or unresolved. 2.0 massive example of this and seeing it mentioned in all the late responses if I am honest is a bit lame.

I am not pointing a the finger at the support staff they do as much as they can with what seems limited resources this is a structural thing and it seem the management are more concerned with adding more to the Roon SP than to keep their product stable and customer base well supported. Why release something you honestly can’t support or backup properly, especially relying on UPnP was always going to increase suppor requests. Whist it’s great the Community helps out it seems more and more this is the default stance with us longer term members and the mods covering support.

I am continuing with my annual sub giving the benefit of the doubt that things will improve over the next year, but if things don’t I am likely to seriously reconsider my priorities. I love Roon been with it since 2017 and continued to pay annually but I have standards and it’s far from perfect and if it doesn’t continue to meet these standards then I tend to move on from things.

9 Likes

hesitant to add to this thread because i am exhausted reading it…

but, i swear I noticed a couple of weeks back that our avatars had little icons on them, showing if we were trial users or monthly subscribers or lifetimers or whatever. And it went away – poof – just as quickly as it arrived. Did I dream that? :thinking:

we removed it for normal users because people were in an uproar about it

mods and staff can see them still… lifer :slight_smile:

9 Likes

thanks Danny. Exciting times indeed!

Ok i’m gonna log off here and get angry about the snow. At least I can listen to ARC while I shovel. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

But if it had just gone up 3.5% annually you and everyone else would not likely have said anything?( Or very little)
And we would be at the same figure near enough.
That’s how I view it and yes I still pay annually, no lifetime here…yet.

4 Likes

You’re correct if there’s no refund. The ‘solution’ provided by Danny is nothing more than creating the illusion you’ve paid for a year, and then your lifetime subscription will begin (which you’ve already paid for as well). But even if the lifetime subscription were to begin right now, you wouldn’t know the difference in terms of money spent. You are correct there, I didn’t think that one through. lol

However, suppose you’re 2 months into your yearly subscription, and you’re moving on to the lifetime one. That still means you’ve paid the full yearly amount for just 2 months of Roon happiness. Someone with a monthly subscription would only have paid for 2 months, so he’d loose less money for the exact same product and time period, which is Roon forever. :wink:

One could argue that this is due to your own failure to make an early decision for a lifetime subscription. If you sign a one-year contract for any other service, you can’t easily bail out while you’re 2 months in. :slight_smile: Same goes for Roon. BUT… the thing here is: you base your decision on the pricing of that exact moment. Your thought process might have been: “I’ll pay for a yearly subscription, wait for a year, see if I like the product, and then pay for the lifetime subscription”. If you’d known in advance that the lifetime subscription price would be much higher next year, you might have gone for a monthly subscription. Your ‘way out’ here (or better: ROON’s way out!) is to pay for the lifetime subscription right now (for the lower price), but that ruins the original thought process. And ROON is happy, since they’ve bound you to their service for a lifetime, they got money for a lifetime subscription AND for the 10 months remainder of the yearly subscription. Now, there’s a thought. :wink:

4 Likes

I may well have left already if they had, but unlikely. I judge how an increase is managed regardless and would have commented if felt it was excessive if done yearly. I expect things to raise inline with inflation so you don’t get these big hikes like this although this year would have seen a huge hike regardless I feel. I am not against an increase Roon has to make a profit to survive and pay its employees a decent salary. I said this but to say it’s trivial is just not true it is large one off increase and that makes it harder to swallow especially when the QoS is not rising inline with it. I missed out the large elephant in the room, that I now can’t use the product when my internet is down which does makes me look hard and long if it’s is the product for me. It’s not what I originally signed up for that’s for sure.