Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

If its any consolation, you’ll have a warm and fuzzy in two or three years when lifetime is raised to $999 or more :slight_smile: (or god forbid, killed).

1 Like

Yeah, I think for many people it’d just be easier if there weren’t lifetime, but there is.

I bought lifetime at $699 a couple years ago. Gosh I’m glad I did. The fact that it’s still $699 is staggering to me. I’m not saying you should buy lifetime. But if you do buy lifetime, in a couple years you’ll just be smiling and think you got a crazy bargain. I thought about it from a regret minimization standpoint. But I buy audio components and headphones in the range of 2x this a couple times a year. So I’m in a different position than some, and I have to be aware of my privilege. There’s a wide variety of folks on this forum and who subscribe. All I can say, is that if you enjoy Roon now, and you can find the dough to go lifetime, within 2 years you’ll be laughing about what a good deal it was. And you won’t be stressed. But I’m not saying by any means that it’s obvious to many people where that cash is gonna come from. Good luck choosing all.

3 Likes

Well, that seems fare enough.

Last week I had my annual pension review and was told 'you are going to have to keep going for an extra seven years" as the financers have buggered up my investments as “the markets do go up and down” unlike their saleries.

Yesterday I was rung by my local House Battery instaling company who I had placed an order for a Tesla Powerwall to be fitted at a price of £10,500, to be informed of the following.

Mr Musk’s gofer had got in touch with them to inform them that the 6 power walls they had on order had been cancelled and if they wanted to raise another order each power wall would be £1300 each more expensive and would hopefully be delivered in 7 months. I have been waiting 6 months as it is so think I had better thank Mr Musk for giving me some spare dosh after getting a different product to pay for a life sub for Roon.

Conclusion: Roon look to be worth investing in even though i am at least 2/3rds through my life already. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re right, I also like roon more, but when I see that the price isn’t worth something I like, I don’t buy it.
I haven’t had roon for 2 days, and I’m only using audirvana as a test, I don’t miss anything from roon, and I see that it can be used on mac and windows with the same license, that makes it even cheaper than roon, I think now I have made the decision. Good health and luck to all.

I’m in my lifetime upgrade window having recently renewed my annual subscription.

My question is this. Roon (@danny) had previously said that if anything happened to the company, they would release a final standalone edition with no dependencies and no further updates and it would run for as long as the hardware/os supported it. I’m guessing that wouldn’t include Tidal/Qobuz, metadata, etc.

Recent communications seem to suggest that this is no longer the case. Instead, some of the comments seem to suggest that it is the life of the software/company, not your lifetime. Plus the new requirement for full-time connection to the company’s servers, not just for licence verification but also for day-to-day use of the software. How does that figure in if their servers are shut off?

So which is it? Or is it a distinction without a difference?

(Serious question. Honestly, not trolling.)

2 Likes

I have been using Roon for 7 years and have just upgraded to Life because of ARC. I think it completes the package. Certainly understand todays youth wanting ARC. No brainer.

1 Like

From Roon? If not ignore, it’s just wild speculation, and revert to @danny’s statement.

People, it’s impossible to predict the future, no matter what anybody says. If Elon Musk bought Roon for whatever reason, it wouldn’t matter what Danny said anymore. Make a decision based on current facts and probabilities and let go.

3 Likes

I think people are worrying way to much about this. Anyway, if Elon Musk buys Roon, my Roon lifetime license will be available for free to the first person who contacts me. It will come with my email address also.

Also, be glad you didn’t invest your life savings in FTX. You didn’t, did you?

2 Likes

No, I’ve put them in Meta. Just kidding.

3 Likes

Yes, from roon. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I’d still appreciate an official response to my question from someone on roon staff.

Nothing has changed in this regard. The original post I made was here… it and the comment I made after that one still hold true.

It worthy of note that we can only promise what happens when we are in control. When talking about a hypothetical death of the company, the circumstances under which it dies will greatly affect our abilities, but as stated in the original post, we will do our best to make sure lifetimes are taken care of. I should also note that we would try to make sure others would be taken care of as well.

20 Likes

Agree , I ve been using Roon from day 1 via an annual license.
My new license year started in September.
I find it strange that early supporters of Roon with annual subscriptions are completely out of the picture.
If it was not for us early adapters Roon would not be where it is now, to be honest i feel like I’m dumped.

1 Like

I posted above that I was considering opting for a lifetime as part of a 50th birthday present request. I’m pleased to say that my parents think this is a good idea. They also pointed out that it’ll be nice for them to give me a present that I’ll use everyday :smile:.

However I’m conscious that it’s quite an expense and so I spent yesterday looking at the alternatives. I tried:

1. Audrivana as a core based solution, but didn’t like the UI, the lack of integrated DSP and the use of UPnP for other endpoints.
  2. Volumio as an RPi player, but felt it was clunky, limited and restricting.
  3. MoodeAudio also an RPi player. This one is free and so, understandably, the whole experience is rather underwhelming (although there’s lots going on under the the bonnet).

Roon does cost more than the others. But here’s the rub. Nothing gets close to what Roon offers (obviously there are lots of other alternatives that I didn’t try - some of which I’ve tried before). I know that there are some long standing issues, but Roon has always worked seamlessly for me and for my needs.

I would have no hesitation paying the new annual rate, but am pleased that my 50th will be marked by be becoming a lifer. Of course it’s a gamble, but so is getting out of bed every morning. :laughing:

15 Likes

i posted this on the Steve Hoffman forums in their “Roon price increase” thread, and for some devious reason i feel like posting it here

15 Likes

hey, just saw this post on the PS Audio forum, and just wanted to check in with @danny if it was accurate… (Not that I’ve appointed myself in charge of correcting the poster or anything, but it’s important to fight disinformation, amiright? And if it’s accurate, well, that’s good to know, I reckon.)

“Just a heads up. You can’t just buy a Lifetime license right away. You need to sign up for a 14 day free trial and then choose Lifetime to be billed at the end of the free trial period. So don’t wait past Dec. 18 to sign up for the free trial if you want to get the current pricing.”

You are not “out of the picture.” You can upgrade to lifetime for US$699.99 before 1/1/23, same as everyone else.

It’s because of the way the web site is set up, but it isn’t a technical prerequisite.

I think there’s a way around that trial period, but I can’t remember what it was.

Maybe, start the trial and immediately upgrade to lifetime. But, who would buy lifetime without a reasonable trial?

Quote from Roon - Pricing, bold by me; should this not be taking care of this?

Prior to January 1st, 2023, trials will convert and renew at 2022 pricing. Trials that were started before January 1st 2023 but have their first charge on or after January 1st, 2023 will be billed 2022 pricing for the first charge only. Subsequent renewals in 2023 and beyond will be billed at the new prices. This message should not be considered a guarantee of pricing during 2023 and beyond, and we reserve the right to change pricing at any time in the future.

1 Like