Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

OK, I can understand your frustration at this point. My annual subscription ends in a few days, so I was able to switch seamlessly to Lifetime without any frustration.

What guarantee have we that I will last that long :smiling_imp:

1 Like

All I can say is that a behavioral economist & an economic psychologists might have a field day studying the combined forum and subscription data around these price increases. I’m not judging or saying anyone is wrong; but the range of understandings of what just occurred / the choices we face is so different from classical economic theory. This is remarkable.

8 Likes

Check out the ZAR to $ Exchange history , you are not alone

There is no guarantee, everyone has to make their own assumptions how Roon will progress (or not) and decide accordingly.

1 Like

In a good or bad way? :slight_smile:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: You guys remember when Audirvana switched up pricing?

Now it works. In the case roon goes out we can ask a release a version that we can locally use forever. I still have some 2007 iMacs with adobe cs3 creative suite, all do work.

Reasonable guarantee. Or you could pay by month and you do not need any guarantee

True, I could just use tidal connect, or reuse iTunes or Apple Music or how it is called these days

After a year on monthly sub and another one on yearly, I just tool a leap of faith and switched to lifetime.
I figured Roon has been around for a while and looks like a proactive company focused on delivering value to customers, so all seems well.
I am more worried by the resilience of their streaming partners, but I feel a new one will always appear should the current ones fold.

Regarding Roon + Qobuz, it used to cost me around 35€ /month in 2020, but thanks to Qobuz price decrease and adjustments to sub types, it went down to about 23€/month this year. Just to put things into longer term perspective…

4 Likes

What guarantee does any of us have that we’ll last 7 or 10 years? The answer is that we don’t, but we hope for the best and keep going. Just like everybody else.

If it helps at all, Roon is in an incredibly inspiring moment with the release of 2.0 and ARC. And that’s just a start; Danny has hinted that some very exciting things are coming. We’d like all of you to be here to enjoy them, but we respect your decision if you choose otherwise.

22 Likes

Congratulations on beating the grim reaper, and on your lifetime subscription. When I got mine, they accidentally double-billed me, for the lifetime and for another year of annual. I said I would go with it if they could guarantee I would live another year. They said they couldn’t, so refunded the annual.

My motivation back then–at $499, I think–was partly so I wouldn’t have to think about paying again, to save money if I used it enough years, to avoid future price increases, but mostly because it was a new project and I wanted to see it succeed. So far I think it has. And I’ve certainly saved money over paying the annual rate all these years.

5 Likes

Hah! Someone in our account support team was being cheeky!

3 Likes

Well, I was the one who brought up the possibility of a deal. Not a Faustian bargain, just a hundred bucks for another year appended to whatever time I have allotted in this life. Seemed worth it to me.

2 Likes

I want a partial refund for my lifetime sub then, because I am not using Arc!!!1111 :wink:

I can’t grant that I’m afraid.:wink:

I want just ARC, no roon :wink:

1 Like

I used Audirvana for a year before it switched to a subscription model. That prompted me to move to Roon. I found Roon to be a much better (more mature product), and especially so with the addition of Roon Arc.

I have dozens of DSD rips of my SACDs that play without issue in Roon, both to DSD-capable DACs and are converted to PCM for other Roon endpoints.

I enjoyed Audirvana, but am much more comfortable paying and annual (or one-time/lifetime) subscription to Roon.

3 Likes

That is a good angle to look at it. It is like in the old days, when you payed for a licence. And you get free upgrades

2 Likes

FWIW, my opinion. I think I will move on to the lifetime subscription before the price rise. Beyond all the considerations about whether lifetime is worth it, how long we will live etc etc, the one thing I really don’t like is that there is no partial refund of my existing yearly sub. Mine has 7 months to go, and I feel it would be very easy in this day of computers to subtract 7/12ths of $119 from the lifetime price I’ll pay. The categorical statement “no partial refunds” rubs me the wrong way – they could have been fair, they could have made a point of being fair, but they decided against it. I’ll get over the loss of these $69.42, but I still feel cheated. Take that, psychologist :wink:

4 Likes