Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

We are off topic, but I have experience with BG and their R&D department. Lots going on all the time. All hush hush, but the last time I was at their Leicester depot they were throwing money at old tech and ideas which had been around for years. This was during the period of £1billion losses. :man_facepalming:

I’m not affiliated now.

1 Like

@KeysAndSax @Traian_Boldea @Graeme_Finlayson

iPhone SE2 - stable with Roon on WiFi and Arc on mobile data

Samsung M52 - stable with Roon on WiFi and Arc on mobile data

iPad minis 5th gen (3of) - stable with Roon on WiFi

iPhone 11 - stable with Roon on WiFi and Arc on mobile data

Roon on Rock, Ubuntu Server and Windows 10 have all been stable for me.

My only hiccup has been Sonos related and iOS volume control issue (jumps to 100%)

I agree with Graeme on this. A stable network is key.

1 Like

I have issues with Sonos with live radio, BBC Radio2 specifically. Will try tweaking some settings when I’m back home.

1 Like

Thanks for the reaction.
You’r lucky. Last week I was at a friend’s for a listening session, his iPad mini was also crashing several times.

For me personally, I mentioned earlier in this topic that I intend to stick with the annual subscription. Main reasons are that I have no idea in the future if Roon will be the same product that it is today…or if it will even be in existence as a standalone product. I also have to consider if it is something that I feel is relevant to my future needs. At the moment it is perfect for me, so paying the extra annual fee equates in simple terms to an increase in cost of half a pint of beer per month. I can work with that. :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard! :sunglasses:

@danny
that’s not fair, remind me, the policy was different during the last price increase? Did you return the money year subsciption paid? If Yes, Why?

Three years ago, Roon increased the price of lifetime from US$500 to $700 with no advance notice. There was no price increase for annual and monthly did not exist.

From Roon:

"We’ve been getting questions about the lifetime price increase, and if people can still get the old pricing. Let me explain what we are willing to offer and why.

Old pricing

We are willing to extend the old pricing to:

• Trial subscriptions that were started before the price increase, as long as you are still in trial. After your trial expires, the new pricing will apply.
  • Annual subscriptions that began before the price increase but are 30 days or less into the annual. If you are more than 30 days into your annual (since it started, not since it renewed), the new pricing will apply."

I was lucky and had just subscribed to annual within the 30 day window. This time, Roon is giving advance notice of 1 1/2 months.

1 Like

I remember this. I think I signed up for lifetime only a few days before the increase. Probably the only time in history I was able to time the market. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Wow…. From an Australian perspective that’s a massive price for a life subscription. I was so lucky buying at $499 when we had exchange rate parity, so it cost me about $500 Aus Dollars. Now with around 60c and the new pricing it would be paying $1400 over here, that’s a huge price.

I’m going to need to put the subscription in my will, it will be my biggest asset by the time I pass. Yeah, yeah I know, non-transferable.

3 Likes

I’m assuming because I’m lifetime i did not see this except via email notification about forum content.

Keep up the great work! Managing expectations is tough!

I’m very curious about when the lifetime option disappears…

Hello, sorry for my English, I use a translator.
I have tried roon vs audirvana for 14 days, I have canceled roon, and I continue with audirvana for 15 more days, in that time I have seen that roon does not play DSD or ape, nor SACD, roon consumes many resources of the mac mini, and does not improve the sound from audirvana, the mouse back button doesn’t work either, this makes navigation through the menus less comfortable, and it seems less agile. I like Roon better because of the management of the local library, the information on artists and the recommendations, all of that makes it more comfortable, but it is too expensive for what it offers, too many flaws and shortcomings for that price, Audirvana is expensive, but Roon It is very expensive, I can afford to spend a subscription or for life, but let’s be sensible, I have spent €700 on a mac mini, which is an expensive product (at least in Europe) it has very good hardware and software, and it is forlife, same as roon, do you mean that spending 700€ on this software is a good purchase? up to buying a mac mini?
If I didn’t have those bugs and the support paid attention to the requests and solutions that the users ask for, at least I would think so, but as it is now NO. Pricing something too high does not make it premium, and announcing a price increase does NOT make the current price fair.
It seems to me a very good software, but basically it does the same as audirvana, but with twice the price.

1 Like

Apple music :heart_eyes: while i kinda hate Apple. Lossless amazing DJ sets!

I’ve just signed up for the lifetime subscription. My reasoning is that I’ve been using Roon now for more than two years. Roon rekindled my interest in music once again after many years absence. I got lost in the vinyl to CD transition era that I’d forgotten how important music was in my life and now I’m just so connected once again to something that brings me so much satisfaction and joy in my life. I’ve completely upgraded my audio system (used to be called hi-fi) over the past couple of years to a level that now I spend more time listening to music (primarily jazz) than any other form of entertainment. Roon pulls all of this together. The music streamed at high quality. Integration and easy access to my local library, Roon Radio and My Live Radio and in my experience superb integration with my audio system and importantly lest I forget, the Roon community forums. The recent launch of Arc has been the icing on the cake for me. So taking all this into account, a lifetime subscription is a no brainer for me and I regret not making the move sooner.

13 Likes

A hardware you might think it is more of a product then a software. Mac mini becomes old after around 7 years, you can push to 10 yers if you originally bought the full specs. A lifetime licence is probably more than 7 years

2 Likes

With a Mac Mini you will definitely lose money/value every day. With Roon you can gain value with every future update (some with bugs in new updates might see this differently ;)).

Also bugs on a Mac mini :slight_smile:

Thank you, I can fully endorse this statement here.

1 Like

What guarantee does roon offer that it lasts 7 or 10 years?
just the word of a moderator

A post was merged into an existing topic: Leaving Roon after price increase