Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

*Butter as well :melting_face:

£1.70 → £2.00

It was an easy choice for me in 2019. Already in my 60’s when I bought an OPPO 205 and found a free trial for Roon listed in the product information. Tried the free trial out of curiosity and was amazed and excited that something like this existed. My wife and I were headed into the retirement years and had paid off everything, house, vehicles etc… We wanted what Roon provided without payments to keep track of so we went with the lifetime subscription before the trial ended. We purchased the components and built a NUC8I7BEH/ROCK server at the same time and have been happily listening to easy to find music selections ever since. I’ve not had any of the issues some folks experience, no problems with any upgrades, no downtime except for power and internet outages. Don’t know why Roon continues to work for us when others have issues but it is what it is and I’m grateful for that. Based on my experience I’d go for the lifetime subscription again in a heartbeat. I wish all Roon users had the same experience.

7 Likes

Why should he/she leave the forum while his subscription is still running?

My subscription expires at the end of October 2023. I will continue to comment here until then. After that I will unsubscribe from this forum (haven’t figured out how yet).

I didn’t have any critical issue in 2 years either, and I am sure that’s the case for the vast majority, but naturally we don’t continually post about it on the forum

2 Likes

But why compare Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz to Roon? The use case is totally different.

I didn’t compare them. The price comparisons that I made were for Roon.

I only mentioned Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz as examples in a reply to a specific point, “In that time the music and streaming landscape will be different.” Because Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz is a part of the music and streaming landscape, and not so much changed since 2015. And in the same paragraph I also mentioned that no Roon competitor has emerged during this time.

He/she doesn’t have to leave even when his/her Roon subscription lapses. Just wondering about his/her plans.

Can’t unless the moderators help out. You can always be marked as permanently suspended.

Ah like that, I see. I do not know what is upon us. For now Roon has the monopoly. I am just hoping another competitor will come around. It will be good for both. I would not put money on a bet on if Roon is still the go to in 2027, which is why I would never go lifetime.

The thing for me is once you bought your lifetime subscription the money is really gone and the software you are entitled to use. If I buy a new mediaplayer now which is 850 dollar it will still be worth 300/400 in 5 years.

I would bet that they are, but I also don’t have a requirement that I need a return for every last euro. I realize that it’s not the same for everyone, but my NUC and Roon lifetime is less than 5% of my system price. (And I won’t sell my system either, so don’t care too much about resale value.)

Its purpose is to enjoy myself. A week of vacation costs more than a Roon lifetime, and I know what gives me enjoyment for longer

2 Likes

Hey Folks, to people that complain about the the new prices, please take a look around you. Inflation is hitting us all pretty hard. Please bear in mind that software development is not a cheap business, especially if you do it for living. You need to pay salaries, office rents, pay for infra, etc. Also you’re constantly improving it, as you move forward, feature releases, bug fixes etc. If I go to the store and want to buy food, I do not pay with respect points coz I am good at work, I pay with money. I see nothing wrong supporting people who are doing good job, therefore I use roon. As a matter of fact I recently bought lifetime, just because I know how software development works. Cheers!

2 Likes

Those are some valid points. I think its subjective for everyone indeed.

I mean, yes, but I am an embedded software engineer. I can assure you my nor my colleagues their pay rise has been 10% - 15% this last year. Not even close. I think everyone understands why there is a pay rise however, since our salary does not increase with the same % we have to make some cuts.

That sucks, but e.g. here in Germany, the industrial workers did get close to 10% in the recently finished negotiations. And, also in Germany, salary changes at my workplace (software developers) are generally not far from that, either. Obviously it depends on many factors, but Roon has to compete for talent like everyone else.

I’m not sure. I won’t be able to participate in discussions about Roon, but there are other subjects I’d still be interested in. It’s been a bit addictive and a time drain sometimes, so perhaps it wouldn’t be that bad if I quit completely.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah things seem to be a bit better compared to here in The Netherlands in those regards. For now it does not matter that much I am 22, just started my master and partly work, I do not mind living like a student for the coming 2 years, but for my generation it feels kind of another thing we have to take care of.

And of course it fully understandable the price has rised. We have had products which have been sold at two times the price compared to last year purely because of the chips and hardware component crisis.

2 Likes

We can only hope that things will return to more normal (or what we thought it is), but this is something I would not bet on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha, me neither.

Define NORMAL :smiling_imp:

Yeah, that’s why “or what we thought it is” :slight_smile:

Three years ago, I completed my Roon trial and purchased an annual subscription. About 30 days later, Roon raised the price of lifetime from $500 to $700 but allowed annual subs within the past 30 days to get the lower price. I jumped on lifetime and never regretted it. Now, we are in the same place but with a more liberal policy.

I also have Audirvana Studio for when the internet goes down and Apple Music for when away from home and out of hotspot data or Roon ARC fails to connect. You just need to figure out what works best for you and your situation.