Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

Exactly what Roon did with Roon 1.8 Legacy.

2 Likes

Lefetime for roon stooped working after 1.8 to 2.0 release? I kinda missed to hear that

@Jim_F i often agree with you, but here I think it’s different. Roon 1.8’ers will eventually have to upgrade to 2.0 (they’ve said the online services that feed metadata etc may eventually no longer be inter operable), but they always have the right to go to 2.0 or whatever version at any point.

As I understand it, the old Audirvana lifetimers have a permanent subscription to a static product, but don’t have any right to the new Studio project.

So differs in a couple ways… Roon has said “lifetime means you always have the right to the latest thing we are selling” (Not legally, but on this forum). But they are not supporting the old product in perpetuity (I’m really looking forward to when the final forced upgrade comes, oh boy, not really). Audirvana sold a lifetime and then said “oh yeah, that was for the old product, you’re welcome to keep that but now there’s a new product”).

I don’t know that users of Roon 1.8 Legacy will ever have to update to Roon 2.0. IDK. But, that possibility is why I keep advising them to purchase Audirvana Origin lifetime for local playback with no internet.

Lifetime is valid for both V1.8 Legacy and, of course V2.0.

There will be no more features added to V1.8 Legacy.

Correct, but the case with Audirvana was not exactly the same. Anyways as I said, everyone is free to spend his cash as he/she sees fit. I took my decision and I am very happy with roon lifetime. I feel like we’re beating a dead horse here.

I stand corrected. What Roon actually said is:

For how long can I use 1.8?

Roon will provide ongoing support for 1.8 installation for some time after the release of 2.0, depending on the Roon 2.0 adoption rates. However, if you are more comfortable using Roon 1.8, you can always continue to run it on your own after the official support period ends.

So it looks like based on that that you could keep running 1.8 without support. I thought I’d seen somewhere that it might stop working someday. Does anyone else remember that or am I misremembering?

No, not even close. First, Roon 2.0 is not a new product. It is updated version of the product we have been using all along. Also, anyone that has a Roon lifetime license has access to all versions of Roon. Roon 1.8 Legacy is there for people that want to use Roon without regular access to the Internet.

So no, it’s not exactly what they did with Roon 1.8 Legacy.

I don’t think that Roon have said this (as far as know). They’ve said that, at some point, 1.8 Legacy will no longer be supported. This means that no new updates will be sent out. It does not mean that the services (e.g. metadata) will not be available.

Sorry, but yes it is. Both Audirvana and Roon took an old version (Audirvana 3.5 and Roon 1.8 Legacy) and froze it for use by those who did not want to use the new version (Audirvana Studio and Roon 2.0).

2 Likes

Even if you want to argue that Roon 2.0 is a different product than Roon 1.8, which it isn’t, you still have the problem that a lifetime license from Audirvana 3.5 does not get you access to Audirvana Studio.

So, again, it is not “Exactly what Roon did with Roon 1.8 Legacy.”

2 Likes

Audirvana 3.5 is full of bugs. Unusable with UPnP and local files. You can’t compare Roon Legacy 1.8 with the Audirvana disaster.

3 Likes

I would use Roon 1.8 Legacy as long as it works. If it ever stops working, I would purchase Audirvana Origin lifetime. So, just as insurance, to make sure it’s still available, I would probably purchase it now. That’s if I had a bunch of local files.

I have Audirvana Origin right in front of me and try to fix some metadata disaster within that software. So some nasty bugs even persist. The same bug was already there in 3.5. And that was some 5 years ago.

I would just use it when internet is down and not worry about metadata. Use Roon 2.0 when internet is active.

Yes, that is the plan.
But… you need to prepare the software for that case.

The other path is Plexamp + Sonos + a couple of plexamp endpoints. I’m still figuring out how to “roll my own” RoonBridge + Plexamp RPis. There’s an active discussion about whether Plex will allow the React library versions / depends to permit Spockfish to integrate “Plexamp ready” into Ropieee - that would make me very very happy if all my endpoints permitted Plexamp for when the internet is down. But honestly Plexamp + Sonos is pretty darn good; not hi-FI, but I have music if the internet is down.

1 Like

Yes, I was happy to escape Audirvana and get to Roon. I am not happy about the near constant access to the Internet Roon now has. But, I can live with it…because Roon is so much better than anything Audirvana has to offer.

3 Likes

I had no internet problems lately. I wanted to prepare a backup plan, but Audirvana Origin tries to refuse cooperation. It messes up lots of my ripped CD’s.

I didn’t buy a lifetime 3.5 subscription, I bought into audirvana software that was still in development thinking I would benefit from new updates. Wrong! We should not post disinformation. 3.5 did not get lifetime subscribers by promising to be stagnant software with bugs that will never be fixed.

1 Like