Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

I’m fine with the annual contract, it looks like being a couple of quid more a month in the UK. I’m unlikely to go for lifetime because I’m a great believer in competition and I like moving about, not that’s there’s any competition for Roon right now but in 4.48 years… who can tell?

I also have no use for ARC, my audiophile listening is all at home, headgear and main speaker system. If I want music on the go I have Qobuz as 90% of my library is streamed and I hardly listen to my ripped CD’s, most have now been superseded by remastered higher resolution releases online.

I realise we all have to pay for what a few of us don’t use, that’s just the way of software, but whether I’m still with Roon in those 4.48 years will depend on what new features float my boat and the price I’m paying for them then - and as a keen classical collector and 50’s jazz fiend we shall have to wait and see. I’m always hopeful of the streaming services themselves upping the metadata content and library features, but again we shall have to wait and see.

Here in the UK we are getting hammered with cost of living rises and exchange rate issues, we are no longer part of Europe so our bargaining power is reduced and our relevance is being challenged on all sides… stumping up $699 isn’t an option for me right now for sure even if I felt the need.

4 Likes

Just get the lifetime :slight_smile: sure it’s much money for a software but I see roon more like a piece of audio equipment really. Because it gives so much to play around with.

The upsampling and DSP stuff is already worth it with the ability to stream to multiple streamers.

I haven’t been around for the 499 USD lifetime but I don’t regret spending 699 USD either.

Going back in the forum to the 499 USD timeframe people already mentioned that other software will replace roon , apple and whatnot will get the same features and it didn’t happen till this day.

6 Likes

It is my wishful thought too. But, unfortunately, it is not going to happen.

I dropped Netflix and all my AT&T U-Verse premium movie channels to fund my music obsession. Who needs movies when there is an infinite supply of great music? I’m all in with Roon.

8 Likes

Roon is overpriced. I signed up for the Lifetime sub of Audirvana for $119. It sounds almost the same as Roon. The UI is not as polished as Roon, but it is very simple, my wife does enjoy the simplicity of Audirvana. Roon is too complex for her.

Price/value is a subjective thing. And yes, Roon is too complex for some people. My wife can’t even use a computer. She uses a boombox to listen to her Christmas cassettes and CD’s.

Technophobia. They have a word in France “illectronique” (or something like that) meaning, some people just can’t navigate through web pages, and what have you. It’s such a disadvantage for too many people.

I need Netflix for my kids. But I did drop HBO and Dropbox. I did not use them for 2 months so better without

100% true. What is gold for some is a muddy puddle for others.

2 Likes

I have 5.62GB of free Dropbox space, more that enough for my use.

Wait for their next major version release and you can kiss your Audirvana lifetime goodbye. Been there, got burned, dislike them ever since. I still keep my 3.5or6 license key, and never converted to sub. Audirvana folks are arrogant AF, but on the other side this brought me here. I discovered Roon and I am not looking back.

2 Likes

Not true. Audirvana 3.5 is still very functional. They recently upgraded Audirvana Studio and Origin to version 2.1.

Yeah right, you got locket to a version released 4 years ago with minimal to no software updates or bugfixes. Thanks, but no thanks. If you like it, use it.

None of the stuff you told me is true for Audirvana … I used Audirvana, and think it is a very ok software. No bling-bling like Roon, but very functional.

1 Like

I don’t like Audirvana 3.5, and never have. But it’s still there and still works and our lifetime license is still valid. It’s similiar to how Roon is using Roon 1.8 Legacy. We should try not to post false information here.

I have a subscription to Audirvana Studio that I was using when away from home so I don’t have to unauthorize my Roon Nucleus and lose Roon ARC. However, I recently purchased a second Roon lifetime so I won’t need to renew Audirvana Studio when it expires. I much prefer Roon.

@Jim_F in what way do you prefer Roon over Audirvana? I use both software and could not discern any significant difference apart from sound and UI (subjective to me).

In every way possible. Audirvana is just a “Roon fallback” for me.

2 Likes

I was using as backup for the photos of work. But I have 3 HDDs for back-upx3, and google drive that is on a school account (have no idea of the limit, I have now 24GB in there). I guess I was paranoid using dropbox also :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do you get a lifetime for $ 119? The website only states $ 119 for a one time purchase with guaranteed updates until 2025.

Folks I really don’t care how you spend your money. If you like go with Audirvana, if you like go with Roon. I don’t know how my experience is false, but okay if you say so.

3 Likes

Well, the guy at Audirvana offers a lifetime license for his product. You buy it and all seems fine. Then, he comes out with a new product called Audirvana Studio and halts all new feature development on Audirvana. Yes, he does bug fixes and he will make sure the product works moving forward. But, he will not be adding new features. It is a static product. Is that what you expected when you bought you lifetime license? That’s not what Roon, did, that’s for sure…

1 Like