Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

Hi Christian, I’m a roon user as well and I understand the dilemma to a point and I guess we all have to decide what value certain applications bring to us. I can’t speak to your friends situation, but in your scenario, since using HQP for many years, the 4.x upgrade seems like a worthwhile investment at this point IMHO if it adds value to you. For many use cases it does. To some maybe not.

You can continue to use roon + HQP as is and when you choose to apply latest roon update, you’ll have to either go without HQP or update HQP. If you have been a fan of HQP, use it on a regular basis because of the value it adds, then I think you would really enjoy the 4.x version sonics and at least for me, the simplicity embedded now brings. As always you can eval the latest 4.x to make that determination. Good luck

What is frustrating is that some of us have spent quite a bit of time creating a system which has the best sound reproduction for us. This new update Roon has planed for Monday will force some us us to find a different solution. I have stopped auto updates for now.

FWIW, with embedded you may not need audio-optimizer or other third party latency “tweaks” with Win due to the custom ubuntu build and efficiency, that was my experience anyway. Also, I’m pretty sure Win server is not supported (at least anymore). I was a 2019 server user as well and am so glad to be done with it.

Again, If you do decide to go with 4.x, make sure you spend time to trial the different HQP platforms before purchase.

As always YMMV

Forgive me if I simply missed it, what exactly is the upgrade/integration adds we can look forward to?

I keep seeing updates coming, but nothing on what they are.

Thank you.

From what I understand, nothing new if you’re already using HQP 4.x.

Just that with Monday’s update, Roon will no longer support HQPlayer versions BELOW 4.16.2.

(And older computers, like many users’ 2012 Mac Mini’s, can’t run HQP 4.16)

So, like many, I’m disabling automatic updates until I can figure out a solution.

1 Like

In my experiences disabling update is only a short solution, if you have one problem and install roon new, roon force you to make an update.

Hi, this is totally unacceptable. I strongly resent being told 'in 5 days time - we need to kill your running system". I just bought a 12 month license beginning of February - it will be the last.

1 Like

I upgraded to HQP 4 (from 3) in January. If I knew that one month later , version 4.17 would require to be connected to the internet to work with Roon, I would not have purchased the license. .

The way I look at it, HQPlayer has been the best value in terms of improving my system’s sound quality. In an age when preamps and DAC’s can cost thousands, amps and speakers tens of thousands, HQPlayer has allowed me to defer upgrades of my system by introducing new filters and modulators that keep improving the sound of my system.

4 Likes

I’m a happy Server 2016 user and I very much regret it is not supported in 4.x. For me a big showstopper to upgrade HQP.
Very dissapointed user.

So, to clarify…

If I retire my mini, and build up a NUC, am I good with my 4.x desktop license? (I don’t know what version/platform/product of HQP would run on a ROCK, where roon os is the only thing on it.)

I don’t know if Roon were even aware of this pickle for some users, with this short notice. cc @brian @danny

Unfortunately none, Roon Rock is a closed “appliance”, you cannot install anything else.
If you want to use Roon Rock you need another pc to run HQP.
You could install Roon Server and HQP on the same pc with Windows or Linux OS (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) but it should be better to run Roon and HQP on separate pc.

3 Likes

ok, sooooo then, here’s a follow-up…

So my core is on a 2012 mini, but I don’t run HQP on that. I have a couple other 2012 mini’s that actually run HQP. Yeah, silly, maybe, but I had them from my business, and they are doing nothing otherwise.

So… I could keep my core on the same old 2012 mini, and then I just need to update the computer(s) that run HQP, is that correct?

So, maybe I just run HQP Embedded OS on the raspberry pi’s. That would work, yes?

I am running RoPieee, currently, but could test embedded.

OR…

just find a newer 2014 mini to run HQP? (Those are everywhere for super cheap on craigslist. Like $150.)

EDIT: sorry I’m gumming up this thread with my own personal questions… if a mod wants to move to a separate thread, like “2012 Mac Mini migration options for HQPlayer” that’s totally fine.

That is not the case.

This build will address a long-standing issue related to dropping audio during track transitions with some HQPlayer filter choices. This required new APIs provided by HQPlayer v4 as well as re-architecting how Roon handles position reporting from HQPlayer to a new approach. People already using HQP 4.x are currently affected by this problem.

Several other smaller bugs were addressed as well, but a fix for the above bug has been widely, loudly, and repeatedly requested by members of this community. This wasn’t a simple problem, and required considerable effort and collaboration by both Roon Labs and @jussi_laako to get it fixed.

We do have to push forward with the v4 requirement in order to address this issue. There are too many differences in how things work to continue supporting the old method of reporting playback position, especially considering that it has known issues.

5 Likes

I have been a Roon lifetime supporter/purchaser for a while now. I started using HQPlayer back just before version 4 was released. At the time I was unaware that 4 was on the horizon. Therefore I was not one of those who had version upgrades for years and years like people who bought version 3 years ago, etc. But it is what it is and I got over that an update happened right after I bought HQPlayer.

I had no real reason to upgrade to version 4 until now. I love Roon and HQPlayer so keeping it working for me is important. I purchased HQPlayer version 4 last evening shortly after receiving the e-mail from Roon Support. I knew I would eventually have to upgrade so it was not unexpected.

Anyway, the latest version 4 is up and running on my server ready for the Roon update! I am a bit overwhelmed with all the filters, etc. For now I picked what I was using. At some point I will probably do a little experimenting.

2 Likes

HQP does not run on ROCK. ROCK is locked down and nothing can be installed on it.

yep, got that

As long as you use HQPlayer Desktop product yes.

Roon ROCK runs only Roon, nothing else. It is like HQPlayer OS in this respect.