Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

On Monday, February 28 Tuesday, March 1, Roon will be updated to take advantage of the advanced features offered in HQPlayer 4.x. Updating our implementation to support the HQPlayer 4 API will help to resolve a number of issues that our customers have been reporting.

What should you do?

In conjunction with Signalyst we have worked to improve the overall user experience in Roon’s HQ Player integration. As such, version 4.16.2+ of HQPlayer Desktop, or version 4.29.3+ of HQPlayer Embedded, will be required once the release has been deployed on Monday.

If you’re not yet updated to HQPlayer Desktop 4.16.2 or later, or HQPlayer Embedded 4.29.3 or later, you can download your update from the Signalyst website. If you run into any trouble updating, contact Signalyst at info@signalyst.com.

Many thanks,
The Roon Team

Update: New release date is Tuesday March 1

9 Likes

How or does this affect the HQPLAYER 3.x api? Will i still be able to use this or does it only apply to the 4.x api?

1 Like

Do you mean 4.16.2 or newer or really mean, you must have 4.16.2? I say this, because 4.17 is released now.

Hi @kevin

Your post don’t mention HQPlayer “Desktop” but at all but I guess that’s what it’s about?

What about us HQPlayer Embedded users currently running 4.30.0 ?

Can you find out please? And maybe update your post?

@jussi_laako

F*ck yeah!

(Sorry for being superexcited!)

1 Like

No, you won’t be able to use HQPlayer 3.x, the minimum required version will be 4.16.2.

Bad wording, sorry! 4.16.2 or later.*

You’re all set! This applies to both Desktop and Embedded, version 4.16.2 or later will be required.

edit: The minimum required version for HQPlayer Embedded is 4.29.3.

4 Likes

I’ve the same question and I fear the reply.
Hopefully Roon is not forcing users to upgrade for no reason.

Here are the reasons:

There are quality issues with our current integration that cannot be addressed in the context of 3.x, because Signalyst does not plan to back-port the bits required to fix them to the 3.x API.

There are deep enough changes involved in moving to v4 API and addressing these issues that it is impractical for us to support both side-by-side. This would also put us in a position of supporting configurations that we know are broken, which is the whole thing we are trying to fix by doing work on our HQPlayer support.

We are not going to be supporting earlier versions of HQPlayer 4.x for the same reason–they have known issues that make the experience of using the integration less smooth, and we cannot be in a position of supporting broken integrations.

8 Likes

Not really good news for everyone.
Since Version 4.14.0 HQPlayer needs a CPU with AVX2 support.
As a result HQPlayer is not running on older, though powerful CPUs.
AVX2 support starts with 4th generation Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 CPUs, newer AMD CPUs accordingly.

For this reason, I actually decided not to upgrade HQPlayer anymore and keep the latest running version.

No it seems, that I will be forced to spend a few hundred bucks for a new computer to keep my system running :angry:

2 Likes

Thank you! Have been using the Roon/HQPlayer combo for years and Very excited for the changes. Besides stability issues, are there any feature enhancements? Ability to change NAA, turn convolution on/off and changing filters from Roon would be amazing!

1 Like

4th gen was around 2013, that’s ancient in computing terms so no surprise really.

1 Like

Actually it was.
Because it was hidden somewhere in the product description and not announced, that - with a minor version change - computers which used to be compatible are suddenly not working any more with HQPlayer when upgrading from 4.13 to 4.14 …

I have a dedicated PC which controls my NOS DAC, runs HQPlayer and is connected to a Roon core. HQPlayer 4.16.1 works with this setup no trouble.

I updated to 4.17 and I received an error that there was no internet connection and I could not connect to Roon. I do not want this PC connected to the internet so I have reverted back to HQPlayer 4.16.1

Am I missing something? Do the new versions of HQPlayer require an internet connection? Is there some kind of workaround? If not, I am afraid that come Monday, both Roon and HQPlayer will be useless to me.

1 Like

Maybe Jussi can compile a non-avx2 version once for this transition?

It would have been much more professional to give a complete and exhaustive announcement on the first try, not continuous updates on the minimum requirements … it seems that the writer has decidedly unclear ideas

It is HQPlayer Desktop 4.16.2 or newer. Or HQPlayer Embedded 4.29.3 or newer.

3 Likes

Older versions also require, but are less pedantic about it. Is there a problem providing internet connection? Roon won’t work without internet connection either.

Hi Jussi,
it is not a problem, as long your provider assures a stable connection :smiley:

Just out of curiosity:
What exactly is the internet connection needed for?

There may have been an announcement of this a while ago but this is the first I’m seeing it. Seems kind of abrupt to leave a bunch of users twisting in the wind…

So maybe I need a clarification…

My 2012 Mac Mini will no longer support Roon + HQPlayer starting monday?

(Tried to download version 4.17 and it won’t run. Crashes on launch.)

Would have been nice to get some time to plan an option, like building up a ROCK NUC or something.

Or maybe I’m not smelling what they’re cooking.

FWIW: I don’t use DSD, only PCM upsampled to 192, so processing is pretty hum-drum.