Upcoming Linux Performance Improvements

A bit, but not really. The biggest gains are related to having a more efficient memory management system.

2 Likes

Antipodes are definitely on top of this update, they have already assisted me with going to version 2.7 which now makes it ready for when they release the final version in a couple of days.
Anybody who has any concerns with their Antipodes should just contact them directly.
But if they are on v2.7 software it will be updated overnight when the new v3.1 is released.

As a matter of interest I was watching the update/ install and I noticed a lot of lines starting with libi so I assume Antipodes did not have libicu in their previous Linux software on these units.

5 Likes

Good news for your new little purchase.
Life extension for the condemned little box that could :+1:

1 Like

For those interested in it,

this is how it looks installing aspnet 5 on RHEL 8.4, it is provided by the rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms repo:

# dnf install aspnetcore-runtime-5.0                                                                                                    
Updating Subscription Management repositories.                                
Dependencies resolved.                                                                                                                                       
=============================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                  Architecture             Version                          Repository                                          Size 
=============================================================================================================================================================
Installing:                                                                                                                                                  
 aspnetcore-runtime-5.0                   x86_64                   5.0.11-1.el8_4                   rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms                   6.5 M
Installing dependencies:                                                                                                                                     
 dotnet-host                              x86_64                   5.0.11-1.el8_4                   rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms                   109 k 
 dotnet-hostfxr-5.0                       x86_64                   5.0.11-1.el8_4                   rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms                   156 k
 dotnet-runtime-5.0                       x86_64                   5.0.11-1.el8_4                   rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms                    27 M

Transaction Summary                                                           
Install  4 Packages                                                           

Total download size: 34 M                                                                                                                                    
Installed size: 109 M                                                                                                                                        

Libicu was already installed on my Server, it is provided by the rhel-8-baseos repo:

# dnf info libicu                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Installed Packages                                                                                                                                           
Name         : libicu                                                                                                                                        
Version      : 60.3                                                                                                                                          
Release      : 2.el8_1                                                                                                                                       
Architecture : x86_64                                                                                                                                        
Size         : 32 M                                                                                                                                          
Source       : icu-60.3-2.el8_1.src.rpm                                                                                                                      
Repository   : @System                                                                                                                                       
From repo    : rhel-8-baseos                                                                                                                                 
Summary      : International Components for Unicode - libraries                                                                                              
URL          : http://site.icu-project.org/                                                                                                                  
License      : MIT and UCD and Public Domain                                                                                                                 
Description  : The International Components for Unicode (ICU) libraries provide                                                                              
             : robust and full-featured Unicode services on a wide variety of                                                                                
             : platforms. ICU supports the most current version of the Unicode                                                                               
             : standard, and they provide support for supplementary Unicode                                                                                  
             : characters (needed for GB 18030 repertoire support).                                                                                          
             : As computing environments become more heterogeneous, software                                                                                 
             : portability becomes more important. ICU lets you produce the same                                                                             
             : results across all the various platforms you support, without                                                                                 
             : sacrificing performance. It offers great flexibility to extend and                                                                            
             : customize the supplied services.                                                               

I am confused… Did you do this in order to install the new Roon Core on this RHEL machine? I think for this only libicu was mentioned as a necessary dependency and that Roon provides at install time the required .NET runtime… Does this not apply for RHEL?

Hi,

no I do not have the new roon (dotnet based) core, I am not in the beta.

I installed the dotnet packages in preparation for the new Roon core, because… well the Roon instructions said dotnet is required and linked to documentation from Microsoft as to what version your distribution requires. It wasn’t stated WHAT VERSION to install (3.1? 5.0?) So I installed the latest version available.

It is infact unclear from the Roon instructions if “only libicu” is required (the info page for libicu does not mention dotnet at all - what does libicu have to do with dotnet?) and if the dotnet packages for you specific version of Linux are required to be installed, by you, separately.

I have the beta Core installed on Ubuntu and didn’t install the dotnet packages myself. They were provided by Roon with the Core. I think we are only meant to make sure that we have libicu on the system, which in most newer versions of Linux is the case.

1 Like

Right, libicu is on most modern Linuxes.
Well then… I’ll see what happens when its out of Beta, and remove the aspdotnet RPMs if need be.
Possibly… it is a red herring to link to the Microsoft dotnet documentation from the Roon page detailing the changes to the Linux Roon server…

I agree, we meant to link only to the dependencies part of that page, but marketing should have just cut it out instead of pointing people to the dotnet page.

2 Likes

For Antipodes users who didn’t do the updates regularly: just update to v2.7 and then wait for the update to v3.1. See the Antipodes website for an instruction to update from v2.5 to the 2019 version 2.7. This shouldn’t be a problem, I just did that.

Guessing there are no more needs for beta testers. I fit the requirements completely and spent some time updating my linux roon core…which I needed to do anyway. Glad to hear improvements are on the way…needed in my case.

One item to bear in mind on updating from v2.5.
The move to v2.7 means only ONE output at a time is active now rather than in v2.5 where I could have all 3 output’s active at the same time.

Better be sure you definitely want to use it for Roon😇

And thanks from me too.

Are there still Roon specific shared objects or is all the code now dotnet? Or to ask it another way, I wonder if it is time to try and get this running on FreeBSD again…?

Yes. It is from small green computer (see above). You need at least vs 28.

1 Like

Hi guys
I am running an evo432 feeding audionote dac and amp, the evo is running fedora linux, should I be contacting the evo432’s manufacturer to ensure my roon core (on the 432) will continue to work ?
I have no idea currently how to install or even work with Linux…

Roon have tested with fedora linux (see first post), but I’d say it would still be prudent to contact Klinkt Beter.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. I’m assuming the primary benefit is increased speed for pushing and pulling information on music files during playback and does not impact improved SQ associated with less polling and possibly increased buffer lengths?

How long does it take to get access to the beta program after registering for it?

It took me one or two days.