Upcoming Linux Performance Improvements

Still got no feedback - registered since provided

Why are you using .net within Linux? Are there any versions of Roon that don’t use .net? If I’m using linux, there is a reason I’m not using Microsoft

1 Like

Roon always relied on .NET libraries for portability. They’d have to rewrite their whole code to replace it with something else. Mono was a .NET clone created when .NET was not portable and had licensing restrictions. Microsoft made .NET a lot more available and continue to maintain it. Moving from Mono libraries to Microsoft .NET libraries is a welcome performance and reliability improvement, and it will enable Roon Labs to simplify their library dependencies and put those resources into more productive pursuits. I like it!

5 Likes

more Information about Mono and .Net, in german (use google or deepl for translation).

Or just select an English version (on the left-hand side at the bottom)

1 Like

We still ship some native C and C++ code that we’ve compiled for whatever platform Roon is running on, and in particular this specific update won’t change the amount of native code we’re using at all.

Thanks for the tip, I had never used that before, some things are so simple.

But I had checked whether the pages are identical and found that DE was more current than EN. But both texts give enough background. In principle, Microsoft always serves us today.

I read a very critical report about it. See here.

Impressive for me is that now even Dr. Windows (very well connected in the MS World) is writing this. The Kevin there cares about the open source things and wants real partnership. In the end, customers win when collaboration grows.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it even if it isn’t what I’d ideally like to hear!

Microsoft has reversed the decision to remove the Hot Reload function from the .NET SDK because of the outcry

2 Likes

Glad I’m moving from UnRAID (Roon in docker) to a Synology NAS now. There just seems to be far better support and less messing this way. :slight_smile:

That’s what happens when you try to sneak a late change in when you think no one is looking.
Such an obvious business protection decision that went again their open source promises.
Excellent reversal I think

2 Likes

As a beta tester for the 1.8, build 842 I can report the build installed smoothly and is running stable on my Ubuntu sonicorbiter OS. Thanks to the Roon engineering team! Roon Rocks!

1 Like

Your image does not have libicu66 installed which is a dependency for this new Roon release.

apt search libicu
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libicu-dev/oldstable,oldstable 63.1-6+deb10u1 amd64
  Development files for International Components for Unicode

libicu-le-hb-dev/oldstable 1.0.3+git180724-3 amd64
  ICU Layout Engine API on top of HarfBuzz shaping library (development)

libicu-le-hb0/oldstable 1.0.3+git180724-3 amd64
  ICU Layout Engine API on top of HarfBuzz shaping library

libicu4j-4.4-java/oldstable 4.4.2.2-3 all
  Library for Unicode support and internationalization

libicu4j-java/oldstable 62.1-2 all
  Library for Unicode support and internationalization

libicu4j-java-doc/oldstable 62.1-2 all
  Library for Unicode support and internationalization - Docs

libicu63/oldstable,oldstable,now 63.1-6+deb10u1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  International Components for Unicode

As you can see, libicu63 is the latest available in the Debian 10 base image.

Now only if we can get versioned Roon software for Linux.

That is correct. Debian 10 has libicu63

That is the required version for .net use on Debian 10 as stated by Microsoft so we’re good.

I also verified that the beta works on my current image.

1 Like

Running the test version on my trusty Dell Intel Core 2 Duo with only 6Gbs of RAM and first impression is it’s snappier and the songs start quite a bit faster (less loading, but it’s maybe half a second).
OS is Bodhi based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Beta is now closed!

For those of you who didn’t get to participate, you can look forward to the stable release next Wednesday, November 3 (assuming no last-minute issues are uncovered in beta, of course).

3 Likes

Seems functional on Ubuntu 20.4.3 LTS. Cant detect any difference in performance. If anything there is a degradation on BBC Radio streams to my Sonos. No matter what quality I select, they break up/ pause regularly. Doesn’t happen to other targets with the same stream. Only effects my Sonos. Playing local FLAC or Qobuz to the same Sonos is perfect.

You give an installation example for APT. Does your QA Team have examples for installing on ArchLinux pacman?

Here’s your package I reckon: Arch Linux - icu 69.1-1 (x86_64) sorry but am more of debian/apt guy.

Edit I should have also said welcome to the Roon forums @Steven_Long but am pretty busy and this is my procrastination outlet. How rude of me, sorry

Edit2 I suspect @Uwe_Albrecht’s suggestion below might be a better one, icu is listed in the dependencies.