Upcoming Linux Performance Improvements

Manjaro-Nutzern wird das Leben mit Arch sehr leicht gemacht…

und hier hat Blackhole viel hinterlegt:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/roonserver

2 Likes

Thanks. I have icu 69.1-1 already installed so I guess I am ready for the update.

1 Like

Having some issues since installing the update on the core: the app (noticed only on the iPhone SE 2020 up to now) sometimes is unresponsive. I have to restart the app to get it going again. The Mac OS (Monterey, MacBook Air M1) has trouble searching. Restarting the app has an instant positive effect. Maybe some disconnect is going on, not sure at all. But it’s noticable after the upgrade.

On a positive note I am still under the impression it’s all a bit snappier and loading songs is faster. Also the load on the system is noticably lower. The memory load is now under 2Gb (out of the 6 available) but that may also be thanks to the Bodhi 20.04 installation (I was on 18.04 before the upgrade)

1 Like

This was all recognized much worse before the beta and now put on a better way, but restarts also help me again and again and then I’m surprised with what large amount of data Roon still copes really fast.

1 Like

For me it is noticeable worse than before and as this is in a test phase and I am running a certain config it seemed worthwhile mentioning it.

1 Like

The installation date would be interesting for analysis.

Monterey was updated yesterday so that could be of impact on the macOS client. Good point.

1 Like

Thank’s for letting us know. After reading this, I immediately turned off all automatic updates.

There’s nothing to install in Arch, it’s already there.

Pointless paranoia. It’s a vastly improved experience.

1 Like

How do I turn off auto-update?

I don’t have a “gear” in my about core…

I have so far received a notice before each update that it can be installed, but wanted to experiment a little longer with 1.7, so I just clicked it away until I wanted 1.8 and also the sub-versions were always announced to me first. through the large library I then looked for a convenient time for me to update, exactly on the screen shown above by you. There is then the hint and update starting point.

The “cogs” are present when using a PC/Mac as control, not tablets or phones.

Cell phones and tablets are always supplied from the Google or Apple store. With Android, I have already suspended updates for individual apps. It’s certainly possible with Apple, too.

but if the core is updated, the remote controls must follow!

Ah, is there a way to do that from a tablet or phone?

Side-note, I’m fortunate with my Salk Streamer that Jim Salk provides great support. I am not a computer science person. I’m functional at best. But doing the Linux upgrade and update were a challenge and at times it seems with Roon I need to be more of a computer science person!

I want to pause on this next update frankly to make sure it does work well, and let others figure it out. In most of my previous updates I’ve had issues. I’ve been able to figure them out, but sometimes it’s taken a while.

Frankly, I don’t really use Roon any differently or find that it’s a better product than it was when I first started with it a couple years back. I like it, but I’ve just not found the updates make my experience any better. I really just want it to be stable.

Worst case, I suppose I can install Roon Remote on a PC and look for the gears to change the setting on the auto-update that way. But, hoped I could do it from my IPad.

1 Like

I don’t know of any way other than using a desktop Roon install to access these settings i’m afraid. But, the process of installing a desktop client would be swift and harmless. And from memory, i think there is a setting that would allow you to postpone them during a period, to make sure everyhings working, as you said.

Hehe…I was hoping other Salkstream owners would test the update first before I try it. :wink:

I hope the Arch Linux update Salk provided works well. After some googling, it seems the update Salk provided is an older version, which kind of concerns me. But then my knowledge of Linux is extremely limited, so I’ll defer to those that know better. Worse case Salk may need to provide a more current update.

It would be nice if Roon provided access to these settings on tablets at least. I rarely use our PC. My iPad is so much more convenient.

1 Like

Blockquote

I don’t know squat about Linux, so I am in Jim’s hands. I was at Salk today getting mine updated, that is where some of today’s post on Jim’s board on AudioCircle came from. Took some doing, but he updated my linux, and did the update. Initially the boot commands were troublesome. But I am up and running now.

That said, I did just install Roon on my desktop just to ask it not to auto-update anymore. I’ll wait…

Jim Salk’s service is excellent! Last November the hard drive in my Salkstream died. Jim sent me a new drive and was able to remotely get my Salkstream up and running again. It was a bit challenging to do it remotely, but Jim didn’t give up.

Fortunately, Jim’s original update instructions on AudioCircle seemed to work for me (I didn’t get any error messages). I guess next week we’ll find out if it works with the Roon update. :crossed_fingers:

Any other Salkstream owners here?