Update Roon Server Remotely - How?

This is a poor user experience. ;-/

Of course, I was many miles from home when this popped up.

@David_Snyder - I moved your post from the ROCK category into the Early Access category where I think it belongs.

You raise a good point, the screen in ARC seems to imply that it is possible to update Roon Server remotely - and for those of us using ROCK or a Nucleus (not to mention other OSes), the question is immediately raised: how on earth do we do this?

Hi, @David_Snyder, they reason why you are seeing this screen is because you are running #1353 as your RoonServer and ARC #222 on your phone. We try keep production and EA builds compatible but in this case, unfortunately, it is not possible since the new functionality which was released in #222 for Roon ARC required some architectural changes on the RoonServer side as well.

However, I will pass a note to the product team about improving the messaging on this screen.

Thanks!

–
Ivan

1 Like

Regardless of builds you should be able to remotely update core. Many times the Os will update your app if you’re away from home. If this requires an update to core then Arc becomes useless. Having a customer remember to turn off Os updates isn’t a solution just an excuse for bad execution.

1 Like

True, but the people who got themselves (apparently) into the situation don’t really have to just update the server, they’d have to either switch the server to EA or leave Beta for the ARC app.

So even if triggering server update remotely within the same track was possible, this wouldn’t solve this particular problem automatically.

How can I switch to the production build on my phone? If I have to have you remove my login from the Early Access program, that’s fine. Thanks.

Stop ARC on your phone. Go into your Play Store or iOS Store, look up the ARC App, and leave the beta program. Then reinstall from the app store, and you should get the production version.

@CrystalGipsy, the screen which @David_Snyder was seeing is a part of that functionality. However, in this case there is no version to update to since Core is already running the latest production build and there is no new production build and this screen is not designed to provide an opportunity to switch between Early Access and Production:

In case this RoonServer was running an outdated Early Access version, you’d have got the Update Now button on this screen but now the update for the Production branch is not there yet. Hope that clarifies the situation with this screen.

@David_Snyder, here an instruction from Michael – link, please, let me know if you have any questions about it:

Thanks!

–
Ivan

On iOS the Beta is inside Test Flight, so you can have both production and Beta installed, and choose one or the other to start. And a launcher on the Home Screen shows a yellow dot if it’s for the Test Flight / Beta version

So to be able to update core remotely will be available when this goes to release? I don’t expect ot to be able to switch release branch that’s asking a lot just to be able to update core inline with updates to ARC if your away from home.

Yes, that’s correct, when we release the production build with the updated download functionality and one updates ARC first, they will see this screen with the “Update Now” button on it which will allow to trigger RoonServer to update remotely:

Thanks!

–
Ivan

1 Like

This seems to have done the trick. I found the option for leaving the Beta program on the Roon ARC app page.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.