Update to 8.18.2 completley broke my system

I am using DietPi with Allo Boss 2 Player. I updated to v8.18.2 and nothing works. Airplay is not working at all, and playing Roon either skips tracks (44/16kbps-48/24) or renders them extremely distorted (192/24 and 96/24).

Hmm, neither Shairport Sync, nor Roon (Bridge?) are forcefully updated during the DietPi update, but it is offered/informed about. Did you actively update/reinstall them?

In case you installed the AirPlay 2 variant, did you assure that your iOS/macOS versions do support it? AFAIK it should be since several years.

Let’s check the service logs:

journalctl -u shairport-sync -u roonbridge

I just recognised a bug in the Roon Bridge install. It should not cause major issues, but lets test it:

G_CONFIG_INJECT 'AmbientCapabilities=' 'AmbientCapabilities=CAP_SYS_NICE' /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service '\[Service\]'
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart roonbridge

The old kernel of the Allo Sparky SBC does not support capabilities AmbientCapabilities, but it was accidentally removed on for devices. Without it, Roon Bridge cannot change its own CPU nice level and prints a warning about this on startup. AFAIK it tries to increase its priority, so in case of parallel CPU or I/O intense processes on a limited/busy device, this might indeed solve distorted audio issues.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks very much for replying. I found your responses in the dietpi forum

and downgraded my kernel. That solved the issue.

Ah right, I forgot about that. Even after two months there is not a single response from Allo or RPi engineers. I am not even sure who is responsible for these overlays, as they are not in mainline Linux. I reported it at the RPi kernel repo now, just to have everything tried: Allo Boss 2 device tree overlay or driver broken · Issue #5505 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub

Btw, dmesg does not show any related logs, does it?