Upgrading HQ Player on sonicTransporter

My sonicTransporter i9 is running HQ Player 4.35. A newer version (5.x) seems to be out, but my sonicTransporter is not updating to it (as it has in the past). What do I need to do?

1 Like

Contacted Small Green Computer? And asked them if v5 is available yet for their OS ?

I have and gotten no response. Gotta say, I’m getting peeved.

1 Like

@agillis ? @Jesus_Rodriguez ?

1 Like

In the past, I’ve found that SGC monitors this site and responds to posts mentioning their products. This, and the fact that their web site does not have very strong “Support” features, is why I tend to post here when I need help. This is also a way to share issues with a broader community. The only reason I knew about HQP v5 is because I saw references on this forum to a modulator (ASDM7ECv3) that isn’t available in my V4 configuration choices. When I learned it’s available in a new V5, I tried to upgrade through the same sonicTransporter Software Manager procedure I’ve been using for a couple years. But no upgrade past HQP v. 4.35.0 occurs. Nor is there any alert or link showing how to upgrade to v5. I’d consider going to the HQP site, paying the upgrade fee, and installing v5 “manually”, but I’m not confident it’d be worth the effort (or come without installation problems).

If you can make sonicTransporter boot to HQPlayer OS from USB memory stick, that is best intermediate option at the moment if you’d like to use v5.

But just so people are aware, you’ll need to run Roon on a different machine then.

Some people use the sonicT to run both Roon and HQPlayer together

So they’ll need to find another machine to run Roon on - if they have another machine.

If you don’t have another machine to run Roon, things get very inconvenient

1 Like

I think this is a big part of the sonicT value proposition - it’s a reasonably high quality hifi streaming option that is plug and play, very little technical expertise required. If getting the latest releases / features requires “hacking” the sonicT setup, then why not just build your own?

I say this with the hope of several new software releases from SMG, especially SonicOrbiter for my Rendu.

[EDIT] I just reran the update on my opticalrendu and got the latest NAA image installed (4.4). Not sure when this was released, but nice to get the latest update!

The best way to get support from Small Green Computer is to click on the “Contact US” button on smallgreencomputer.com I also check this forum once and a while.

The latest version of NAA has been released on the all the Rendu platforms.

Jussi is not support HQplayer 5 on the sonicorbiter OS 2.8 so if you want HQplayer 5 you need to wait for us to release Sonicorbiter OS 2.9 for the sonicTransporer.

Also keep in mind HQplayer 5 is a paid upgrade and requires a new license from HQplayer So this may not be as simple as pressing the upgrade button.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew. It looks like v5 isn’t far away for sonicT owners.

Some patience required :laughing:

I have HQP (v4) embedded on a sonicTransporter i9, but also have HQP v4 desktop on a 2014 Mac Mini. HQP seems to run a little better on the i9, even with Roon running on it too. And in the past, it has been a little more convenient to keep HQP updated by using the sonicTransporter software manager. I suppose I’ll just wait until V5 is available for SGC products.

At any rate, I’m glad to have these clarifications. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Hello @agillis, is there any news about an upcoming upgrade?
Thanks.

It should be available soon. Contact Small Green Computer directly using the contact us button on the web site for more updated information.

1 Like