Upgrading to NUC8i7BEH - Used NUC - Suggestions Requested

No such plans. Purely Stereo at this stage !

You do not need to buy a new SSD.

The ROCK installer will take care of everything. Someone suggested you buy a new SSD so you could keep the current one around in case you want to go back to Windows. Since you don’t care about this, you don’t have to buy a new one and worry about swapping.

Just follow the ROCK instructions installation instructions. You’ll be fine.

1 Like

@gTunes is correct. Installing ROCK will completely wipe the drive it is installed on.

I only suggested buying a new drive for the event that you may want to use Windows in the future.

Since that is not the case, just install ROCK on the existing Ssd and have done with it.

If the NUC is only 2 years old, then you can almost certainly skip the Bios update stage if you don’t feel confident doing that.

1 Like

You don’t need the Akasa case but when they quit making it you won’t have the option to buy one anymore.

For me it made everything sound better and I thought it was certainly worth the $150 I paid for it, sound-wise. Temps under load remain the low 30’s C for my NUC8i3.

Akasa fanless cases are nice for situations where NUC fans are loud and the NUC is near your audio equipment. I’ve moved a NUC into an Akasa case - it’s a medium complicated operation and is best done by someone with PC-modifying/building skills. It’s not hard but you need to be confident about what you’re doing.

Changing your case will not have any effect on sound quality other than to reduce or eliminate the noise of the fan in the case. @samrat_roy needs the simplest path to getting their new NUC up and working. Suggesting that a different case will impact digital sound processing is not going to make this easier.

1 Like

In addition, the OP (@samrat_roy ) did not specify where his NUC will be located. If it is not in a listening room, then there is no need to worry about fan noise.

Personnally, my NUC (NUM11i7TNH running ROCK) is located in my listening room but it is so lighty stressed that the fan never turns on - so a fanless case would make zero difference to environmental noise.

Before, spending money on a new case, it would be sensible to decide whether or not it is needed.

In addition @samrat_roy has explained more than once that he is not technically at ease with such matters so it would be much simpler just to keep it as simple as possible and stick with the case he already has.

2 Likes

Hello gentlemen,

I am proud to say that I managed to get the Roon rock setup on my NUC. Yes it came with its intrinsic challenges with things not following the steps as laid out on the website but your guidance and encouragement led me to success. Now while that is a fact…i am unable to get me Rpi4 loaded with RoopieXL to recignize the roon rock server so now its a streamer issue. I had no idea that roopie XL wouldnt work with roon rock or as I would assume roon 2.0. Any recommendations if I am missing something and my Rpi streamer will work with ROCk ? Thank you again for all your guidance and help

Sam…

Well, it should work…

First question, do you have the RPi4 with Ropieee up and running? Can you access the web-based administration page of Ropieee? For example:

If it’s there, you should also be able to see it in two places in Roon. In Settings > Audio; for example:

and in Settings > About; for example:

What are you seeing? Screenshots would be helpful.

1 Like

I recall that feeling when I built my NUC8I7BEH/Rock in 2019. Congratulations. Have not had any issues or problems with upgrades. 24/7 for 4.5 years without a hiccup. Only time its shutdown is when I reorg the audio rack or Rock upgrades require it. Have it on a UPS system along with the network equipment and an automatic backup power system so no power failure related problems.

I did need to increase the storage from 1T to 4T and bumped the ram from 16 to 32gbs while the box was open. Didn’t need the extra ram but already had it on hand so might as well use it.

I’m sure it needs a good cleaning. There must be some dust in the fan under the MB after that length of time. Hope I don’t mess anything up.

Wishing you the same good luck with yours. Happy listening.

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

Sorry if i am assuming it to be your name. Just wanted to close the loop here. RoopieXL is now working and the NUC is all setup. Although there was a ln update on Roopie webpage that a new version is available for download and needs a complete re setup. I just didnt care much for that and let the old version run. I dont belive there should be a major difference in sound. I may be wrong but if that bugs me longtime, i will re setup the new version and see if that changes anything. So for now, i am a happy camper. Thank you for your response. Helped me calibrate my brains a bit :wink:

Sam…