Upheaval of Interest in VHS Tapes

Far, far off-topic, but I read an article on collectibles. The rarity of some VHS tapes, largely Disney Black Diamond Classic. When you check E-bay the prices range in the extreme.

We had bought the kids dozens of such tapes. (I bought myself the first few years of Easyriders Magazine tapes).

Has anyone in this Community ever examined the collectibility of such tapes?

1 Like

I have to say I have probably a couple hundred VHS tapes still and two working 4 head players.
And yes there are a lot of Disney Black Diamond Label tapes there.
And yes I do have them catalogued through an app and quite interesting to see the value they are supposed to be right now.

2 Likes

I do not know how/where to determine value. Ebay has had sone at $500k - $1mil with the same tapes being listed for a few dollars.

Were you saying that there is an app to track values.

Hmm, I thought it did but just checked it and I don’t see any values, just a lot of information about said movie.
It’s an app called Libib.
It’s good for tapes and books .
Just useful to have them at least catalogued.
Not really looked at it much after I first added them all.
But I thought I remembered it having values like Discogs does.

I found a site that, in summary, said that a sealed water marked tapes before 1990 that is not Disney could have some value but indicated that others are worth extremely little due to how many were made.

I have some Musical Heritage CR02 cassettes.

I actually have the original black numbered looney tunes collection with some being doubles stored away somewhere.

IMG_1444
IMG_1443

My parents collected them when I was younger. And used to spam across a shelf along the whole of my bedroom.

1 Like

Step father gambled on Betamax……

5 Likes

Could have been worse, could have been Phillips!
Or the horses…

3 Likes

I bought laserdiscs for awhile

2 Likes

One thing I let pass me by… along with MiniDisc and DAT tape.

Laserdisc are still fairly cheap on fleabay.

And yes Disney Black Diamond VHS tapes pricing seems to be all over the place.
I don’t think it’s a money market yet.

1 Like