Upsampling issue (Sonore MicroRendu, Mac Mini i7)

Roon Server Machine

Mac mini i7 12.7.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet to router, to Sonore MicroRendu

Connected Audio Devices

Denafrips Ares 2

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Running Roon 2.0, 1353 on Mini i7, oversampling to 352, 705 or max integer. After a while sound starts getting glitchy, erratic hi frequency equals, clicks, etc. Happens both to library tracks or Qobuz streams. Turning DAC on and off fixes until next time.

What does the performance indicator in the signal path say when this happens?

I’ll check it out. Thanks

I don’t see that an i7 could have any issues to upsample to PCM.
However, it seems like the USB stream loses its lock.
Show us screenshots of your Audio Zone setup, incl Advanced section please! :slight_smile: (I also run an ares II)

I also thought my i7 would have no problem with these processes. But, selecting upsampling and EQ does make the problem occur quickly. Screenshots:

Ithink this is related to the microRendu. Make sure you dont have any volume control activated, as seen on the “DSP Volume” part of your screenshot?

First off, thanks very much for helping with this. Device Setup --below–shows “Fixed Volume”; microrendu is set up as Roon Ready with no “volume control”. Checking the Mini with Activity Monitor shows CPU usage never goes above 50%. Don’t know what else to try.

1 Like

Digital clipping?

AJ

Hmm, you really shouldn’t set Decoder only for MQA, the Ares does not recognize MQA material. I find it unlikely that this could affect though?
But it’s worth a try.

A secondary idea: could be interesting if you have the option to directly attach the Mac to the Ares, at least momentarily?
That would help eliminate suspicion towards the Mac’n’DAC…

I will try different oversampling rates in combination with EQ to to find out what specifically triggers the DAC freaking out. I’ll let you know if I come up with anything.

1 Like

This is a good idea. Also keep in mind that the “driver less” USB audio support (UAC2) ends at 384 kHz – everything above needs special, probably device specific, drivers to work properly. From: Sonore - microRendu v1.5

Not all USB devices or output modes support the maximum sample rate of the unit

As your DAC is driven by the microRendu when experiencing issues, you should contact its manufacturer support (first before contacting Roon support IMHO).

2 Likes

Try resampling everything to 384kHz.

1 Like

OK! That’s what I hoped someone who knows a lot more about this stuff could tell me. Also, I certainly never intended to waste Tech Support’s time on this. I thought I was asking the community so I guess I should have posted to general software. Thanks all.

Please report whether you still hear “glitchy” sound when you’re not upsampling to beyond 384kHz.

I had identical problems and never figured out, what the problem was. I just noticed, that the Sonore was running super-hot after a view minutes of operations. Then the glitches kicked in.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.