USB->internal storage transfers on ROCK?

Got it, thanks. I was just confused because I was trying to remap my old folders to the new location.

Iā€™m attempting to copy my music files to the ROCKā€™s internal storage. I read that I can improve the performance by stopping the Roon server while copying into the InternalStorage area. My speed is 1.54 MB/second on the LAN so its going to take a few hours or maybe over a day. Wish there was a 1-time xcopy function you could implement for attached storage: adding an album or two after the intial load over the net would be fine, although some of my DSD albums are over 1GB, so even that will take a bit longer than Iā€™d like. Iā€™m used to USB3.0 speeds.

I have the USB drive plugged into a port on the NUC. Would it be faster to plug it into another PC on the network and do the transfer? Kindof silly having the ROCK copy the file out from the USB to the LAN and then back into the internal drive: perhaps Iā€™m creating a bottleneck here.

Looking for some advice. Thanks.

It sounds like one or both your computers are using wifi. If they where both wired to the same switch you should see at least 30 MBs if the drive is USB 2 or up to 100MBs if it is USB 3 and it is a GB switch.
Alternatively you could connect the USB drive to your computer While copying.

Thanks for the quick reply. No, the NUC and the PC Iā€™m doing the copying from are wired, although my laptop is connected through a TP-Link AV500 Powerline plug. So max speed with the the drive connected directly to the NUC on ethernet was 1.54 MB/second.

I decided to copy from the drive connected to my laptop >> powerline plug >> NUC. Speed improved to 3.5 MB/second ā€“
Time remainingā€¦ ā€œAbout 1 Dayā€ ā€“ Woo Hoo! Unfortunately, the drive laptop has USB 2.0 ports so there you go.

I think itā€™s time to pull the plug and just attach the USB drive and wait for another day to utilize the internal drive. I want to start listening to the music!

Yeah. I see slow transfers to the internal ROCK drive as well, even over a wired connection. Slower than even my old 10/100 NAS.

Cool. I disabled the music folder and just pointed to the attached USB drive: thatā€™s what I was doing with my Win10 Pro PC. I figure, something will happen in a future release of ROCK that will allow easy USB transfers. In the meantime, Iā€™m very happy with the ROCK and my external USB drive. I can disconnect it and use my favorite sync program ā€œAllway Sync ā€˜nā€™ Goā€ to keep all my copies of my library synchronized. I have 2 external drives at my desk. 2 drives at the server area and a large mirrored WD drive for all the backups. Yes, that is 6 disks that have all my music. I refuse to re-rip that many CDs and Iā€™ve purchased a lot of hi-res downloads that canā€™t be recovered from diskā€¦ where am I going with this? I donā€™t knowā€¦ must be the US 4th of July weekend beers taking hold? Cheers Roon enthusiasts!

I see around 60MBs when copying to the USB drive over wired GBit network. Are you sure your USB drive is USB 3?

It is internally connected on my i5 NUC. Same hardware had faster rates using Ubuntu.

OK. I had to add an 8-port switch to the router and now have my Plex server and Roon server on the same ethernet segment (both connected to the switch). Iā€™m using the plex server to copy USB3 music to the InternalStorage area of the Roon server and the speed is now averaging around 96MB/second to 112MB/second ā€“ so Iā€™m back in business. Yee Ha! Thanks, Rune, for making me take another look.

What is the benefit of having the ROCK access music on the internal drive? I read there are some optimizations set with the formating of the internal drive.

To my knowledge there are no advantage having the music on the internal drive SQ wise.
It is only a matter of convenience and only possible if your music library can fit on the internal drive.

I wanted to create a new thread but I saw suggestions with possible information in this thread. Hence posting here. And I want to use external HDD instead of internal storage as Best Known Practice on KB and I also like it that way.

I m trying to transfer my database from WD-NAS to Externall HDD (will be connected to NUC).

FYI - My PC can recognise HDD however i have forgotten password to NAS and its a dead end. I also tried to connect NAS directly to PC through USB3-ETH adopter and its visible but no access.
Some how Mac-Air is recognizing NAS and i can transfer/edit or create folders on NAS without any password (dont ask my how).

I formatted my Toshibha HDD to ā€œexFATā€ but Mac-Air is not recognizing the HDD. Any suggestions?.

Not sure if this helpsā€¦seems like there are 2 levels of resetā€¦maybe this is a last resortā€¦

Assume you tried Admin/Admin ?

1 Like

The Mac should recognize the ExFAT-formatted volume, so not sure whatā€™s happening there. The Toshiba currently has nothing on it, right? If thatā€™s the case, hook it up to the MacBook Air and use Disk Utility on the Mac to reformat the drive as ExFAT.

1 Like

I dont have anything on this one. its brand new and i have formatted it on my PC to exFAT

Thanks your suggestions. I double clicked Disk Utilities and i can find two here. 1) Macintosh HD AND
2) Toshibha External/TOSHIBA EXT -> I click on TOSHIBA EXT and options are ā€¦
First Aid|Erase|RAID|Restore == I donot see format the disk.

(i) When i click on ā€œInfoā€ (top menu of Toshiba ext) It does shows ExFAT ETC. BUT I DONT see in my Finder.
(ii) I did ā€œMountā€ -> Mount Failed status appeared. said try running First Aid. Did that and and nothing ā€¦
(iii) ā€œVerifyā€ -> status "The volume TOSHIBA EXT appears to be OK.

thanks for the Link!. it says all data erased :slight_smile: . Let me first transfer everything to my other disk and then try to do a factory reset button.

Well I read that as the 2nd of the stepsā€¦but you gotta interpret it the way itā€™s writtenā€¦or my suggestion is contact WD support

1 Like

You want ā€œEraseā€ ā€” thatā€™s Apple for ā€œFormatā€. After you choose ā€œErase,ā€ youā€™ll get a dialog that will let you choose how you want to format, and ExFAT should be one of the choices.

1 Like

Yes I just did that. Still not able to mount it. is that what we need to do?. Its not visible on Finder.

Just to double check i plugged it into PC, and its visible with exFAT. ā€¦

Anyways will give it some rest and give it one more shot tomorrow.

Appreciate if you have any other ideas.

Sorry I was doing wrong ERASE. I did ERASE on TOSHIBA EXTERNAL USB 3.0 ETC on level above what i was trying. Sorted. its visible CLEARLY :slight_smile: Thanks for your help! @orgel

MacAir doing the Job.

MacAir USB port - Connected USB 3.0 to ETH adapter -> ETH Wired to my switch (MacAir Wifi turned off) - NAS is being accessed, Toshiba is being written. Although it is going VERY VERY SLOW. I m doing only one folder now. Later I will see if i can connect both MacAir and NAS to the same switch.

Yep. Very slow transfers with Macs. Apparently there is a problem with SMB and Macs.