USB network adapter better than stock ethernet?

Over at diyAudio I see that some recommend moving the network interface away from RPi with a $10 adapter (i.e. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010SEARPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and also adding a USB filter/cleaner to improve SQ. I happen to have an extra UpTone REGEN available to try this out, but don’t know how to enable the adapter in DietPi once I buy it.

Anyone with experience here?

Interesting concept though, might also be something to test for the owners off KEF LS50 Wireless.

In general it’s known that the wireless network interface of the RPi is not the best. First of all it doesn’t do 5G, so yeah you can get better wifi interfaces out there.

But I really think that when you’re using the RPi for streaming you need to go wired :wink:

That looks like a cabled Ethernet adapter.
Unless you the 100Mbit/s ethernet port in the RPI is to slow,
what would you benefit from using the adapter?

No, I’m not talking about a WiFi adapter. The idea is to install an outboard ethernet connection to replace the one built in on RPi in order to improve sound quality. I want to know if anyone has already tried this, and if there is any benefit.

Ohh! wired.

Ok. IMHO that totally doesn’t make sense. What’s being transferred are bits, and the protocol used makes sure that everything arrives bit perfect on the other side.

2 Likes

“Bits are bits” is also what we’ve been told about cables and power supplies, yet I’ve heard differences. Could it be that an external network interface, located away from the SBC, might improve SQ?

Most likely, no sounds improvement and possibly even worse.
The built in Ethernet port is on the same controller as USB.
Meaning, it already acts as in a USB to Ethernet way, not ideal but that’s how it is.
So unless LAN bandwidth is a problem, should not be anything to gain.

Given the cost of the adapter, a test is not a big deal.
However, I’d be vary of expectation bias.

Cables and power supplies is a totally different area then computers and data transport. First of all we’re talking about digital data, and where in the case of SPDIF for example you’re dealing with timing (jitter) and possibly bits ‘flipping’, that’s simply not possible when you’re talking about ethernet transport.

The data is transferred and completely ‘rebuild’ at the other end. Transport protocols take care of making sure that data is not corrupted in between.

So no, it doesn’t make a difference.

1 Like

You make a good point.

I gather that the people who believe in this feel that there is some kind of interference from the built-in interface that affects other components on the SBC, indirectly contributing to jitter or “flipping”. Removing the active ethernet port’s proximity to the electronics that generate SPDIF is their answer.

If I can figure out how to activate this $10 device, I’ll turn off the built-in port, take a listen and make my own report.

Listening right now to the Ray Brown Trio’s Soular Energy recording with onboard ethernet disabled; instead using Rankie USB to network adapter > UpTone REGEN > RPi3 w/ Allo DigiOne HAT. My expectation bias sure sounds good so far…

-At least it has done no audible harm.

I asked the guys at Allo why there is a USB-ethernet adapter available.

Bandwidth - 600mb/s from USB3 vs 100 tops on standard 10/100 ethernet ports.

Makes sense, not sure if it would have an impact on SQ though.