USB WiFi Adapter Support

Hi, wanted to upgrade my Pi 4 with better WiFi than the built in adapter. Is there a list of supported models/chipsets? I googled and found that Realtek chips are supported…anything else? Hoping for WiFi 6.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Had that multiple times discussed here, just use SEARCH

Thanks…this discussion I found was dongles for use with DietPi. Is that the same as RopieeeXL?

No it is not.

If you look here in the RoPieee forums you’ll find several dongles that work: most are Realtek based.
I’ll try to see if I can add a list of dongles that are supported (as in: I have those so I can test).

This one should work (for example): Edimax USB dongle EW-7811UTC, TP-Link Archer T4U

Thank you. I’ll try those!

Keep us informed if these works or not ! Very interesting topic : the internal Wifi does not works very well.

I got this one and it works great!

TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for Desktop PC, AC1300Mbps USB 3.0 WiFi Dual Band Network Adapter with 2.4GHz/5GHz High Gain Antenna(Archer T3U Plus)

4 Likes

Hello Harry,

Is it possible to include support for the following Wifi adapter in a future update ?
TP-LINK AX1800 Archer TX20H

Is a 64-bit version of Ropieee for PI3 planned?

Best regards

If you get me one I will have a look :wink:

No. On a Pi 3 this doesn’t make much sense and there isn’t enough headroom (at least not as much as I want to). If you want 64 bit support (which does not bring anything on the audio level btw), you need to take a Pi4 or Pi5.

Hello, Harry,
Would you prefer me to make a donation or order the USB WIFI adapter directly from you?
Kind regards