Use a bridge in another network of the Core

For a number of reasons, I end up to have some bridges in another network from the Core. Of course, both networks can see each other and are routables. Roon Core is in Network1 (say 192.168.1.X) and some bridges in Network2 (say 192.168.81.X). Network2 is “under” Network1 (Network2 gateway is in Network1).

But Core does no see Bridges in Network 2 (but can ping bridges in Network2). How can I tell to the Core to watch Bridges in Network 2 ? May I manually add a bridge IP ?

@Jean_Christophe_BENO, I’ve moved your post to #tinkering since Roon doesn’t support multiple subnets.

If you search this topic you may find other posts relevant to your question, and other tinkerers may assist.

@Martin_Webster Roon should think about supporting this situation, especially with ARC. Roon core with ARC have to be in the network direclty routed to the internet (to avoid a double port forwarding), while the bridge may be in another personal network. This is my case : I have to “lift up” my Core in Network1 to access it with ARC, it was in Network2.

I’m a community member, like you, and do not represent Roon.

Your opening post is about Roon Bridge, not Roon ARC.

Roon requires all endpoints to be in the same subnet as the core. Roon ARC works with multiple NAT when port forwarding is correctly set up.

2 Likes

Roon works within a single broadcast domain (discussed since I’ve been around). There are some tinkering ways around that or you can cable Core to multiple networks. But, Core is designed to work within a single broadcast domain.

No, discovery is broadcast only.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers. At least Roon remotes in Network2 sees the Roon Core in Network1. Not supported, but it works ! My opinion is than Roon is not far to support this network architecture.

I will “lift” my main bridge in Network1, but I cannot “lift” other bridges, especially Airplay and Chromecast one. But I can live without them.

1 Like

It’s all dependant on how your network gear is configured or handles mdns as this can work across VLANs for certain devices. In my network AirPlayn and Chromecast can be discovered and played to on a different subnet as they rely on mdns for discovery. All my Chromecast enabled devices are on their own network and Roon quite happily sees them and will play to them. Roon Ready will not as they don’t use mdns for discovery it’s just a local broadcast which don’t traverse subnets without proper forwarding.

1 Like

The weird things are private zones in Network2. As I said, a remote on Network2 can remote Core and zones in Network1, but dont show local zones of the remote ! mDns is used I suppose by IOS or Android remotes ?

The remotes do use a different discovery method to endpoints what exactly it uses I don’t know but it does traverse vlans. As I can use it on any of mine and it sees the core.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.